Mesh Avatar - I am completely Lost

Allisonjones05 Resident

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Allisonjones05 Resident said:

I wish one on one assistance with someone who is well trained in mesh bodies as well as who has a nice body themselfs.

I will pay 500L and up per Hour, per session

You will need to be very patient as I am slow at learning. I am also on an adult sim.

Please message me in-world allisonjoneso5 resident

if you need paid services you better ask in the forums, instead of the answers section,

for example employment section/wanted or even ask in the avatar section, there are lots of questions and answers about this subject there

Definitely check out the resources that LittleMe pointed you to.  You can also find lots of product reviews on YouTube...Strawberry Singh does a lot of good ones.  You can link to her videos via her blog, too.

Here's the advice I give anyone looking to get into Mesh bodies/heads:

1.  If you are new to Second Life, don't bother with these things for at least six months.  Instead, learn all about how to get the best appearance you can with your "classic" avatar body.  Once you know about the shape controls and about skin and clothing texture layers, you can move on to mesh replacements.

2.  Learn about mesh clothing and alpha mask layers.  Try starting with one of the free Standard Sizing mesh shapes, many clothes are made to fit these dimensions.  You can find these shapes in the Marketplace.

3.  Try a partial replacement first.  Maybe a pair of SLink feet.  Learn how these work...how to texture match them to your skin tone, how to fit them properly, and how to find shoes that work with them.

4.  Talk to people!  When you see someone who has a great look, ask them about it!  Most people are happy to tell you what they're wearing, and what they like.

5.  TRY ON DEMOS!  Always, always, try the demo for a mesh body or head before spending money on it.  Make sure you can live with its controls and adjustments.  Try it with several of your clothing outfits and see if you can adjust its alpha masking to match your clothing.

• Like 3

I put up a basic Classic vs Mesh explanation of what mesh is and how it works with the basic (classic) avatar. See: http://blog.nalates.net/2017/04/10/second-life-mesh-vs-classic-bodies/

Most of us responding have lived through the changes that lead up to mesh body avatars. We tend to overlook many of the basic concepts that trip up new users.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2543 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.