kratox

Can edit shape keys on meshs now via scripting?

I am trying to see if I put a shape key on a mesh item can I control that shape key in-game using scripting? If so what is the command for it? I have been trying to find it on the wiki but not having much luck.

If I understand correctly what you are asking, you are looking for something like a standard resizer, but one that you can use to resize the Cartesian axes of your mesh independently.  It's not "a command" that you want.  It's an entire script.  You might draw inspiration from something like

If, however, you mean you want to change the mesh from one mesh to another by switching the UUID in a llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast call, as you can with sculpties, then the answer is no.   LL have deliberately blocked that, since they fear people would use it for far too resource intensive purposes.  

Edited by Innula Zenovka

13 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

If, however, you mean you want to change the mesh from one mesh to another by switching the UUID in a llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast call, as you can with sculpties, then the answer is no.   LL have deliberately blocked that, since they fear people would use it for far too resource intensive purposes.  

46 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

If I understand correctly what you are asking, you are looking for something like a standard resizer, but one that you can use to resize the Cartesian axes of your mesh independently.  It's not "a command" that you want.  It's an entire script.  You might draw inspiration from something like

I am talking about something like this: AY02X6z.gif

or this: M6J4I.gif

If you notice there are no bones controlling that you are setting the vertices to be a certain point on a slider and depending on how you slide it depends on how far it will move the vertices in the desired direction.

Edited by kratox Resident

What you mean is... can you make morph targets for a mesh and upload it to sl, and then toggle that morph by using a script command to set the float value, the answer is basically a resounding NO. there's no facility in SL for user created morph targets on mesh

The best you can do is load a pile of separate mesh objects and "flip" through them one after another by turning alpha from 0 to 100%, like flipping the pages in a book.  That will greatly increase the L.I. of your final product and will have resource implications for the user and others in the region.  Depending on the size and complexity of the model, it may be worth the effort or may be a deal killer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

What you mean is... can you make morph targets for a mesh and upload it to sl, and then toggle that morph by using a script command to set the float value, the answer is basically a resounding NO. there's no facility in SL for user created morph targets on mesh

Is there not some other way I can do something similar without having to basically make duplicates of a item essentially just to do it? Cause that way seems highly inefficient and unoptimized.  The funny thing is they already use morph targets for certain things in the game they should just not block essential useful features. 

22 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The best you can do is load a pile of separate mesh objects and "flip" through them one after another by turning alpha from 0 to 100%, like flipping the pages in a book.  That will greatly increase the L.I. of your final product and will have resource implications for the user and others in the region.  Depending on the size and complexity of the model, it may be worth the effort or may be a deal killer.

Do you know if you can just put a bone on the model and have it control the vertices I want? That way I can simply edit that bone to get what I want? I am not sure if it limits control of bones on wearable objects if it has its own bone system. IE: bone 1; bone 2 not following generic sl bone names.

4 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You've never had my SL chocolate cake, have you?

No, but I know all about bananas.  Don't even go there.

10 hours ago, kratox Resident said:

Is there not some other way I can do something similar without having to basically make duplicates of a item essentially just to do it? Cause that way seems highly inefficient and unoptimized.  The funny thing is they already use morph targets for certain things in the game they should just not block essential useful features.

No... There is only ONE thing in SL that uses morph targets, and that is the  standard system avatar., the only things that have bones are the standard system avatar and rigged/fitted mesh items worn over a standard system avatar, and the latter only use those bones when worn. The only way to simulate the morph target idea is either multi-copy alpha blitting, or, rigged worm mesh that repurposes spare bento bones, bones that other people might also be repurposing. So you could have a rigged mesh umbrella, and repurpose the tail bones to animate it opening, but that wouldnt be a slider or a script value, that would be an actual bvh animation file to pose the bones, and your umbrella would glitch if somebody wore a bento tail with its own tail bone animations...

You just have to accept that SL is not Poser, or Daz Studio, or Carrera Studio or Bryce, or Maya or Max or Lightwave or Blender, or whatever, you cannot have 'morph targets' and as for efficiency, remember, mesh is a recent addition to the much older system. efficient design doesn't really come into it.