windows keep opening/closing since new SL client

Zeta Vandyke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Since the last client update whenever I walk or cam around ik keep getting extra popup/under windows quickly opening and closing next to the SL viewer. To fast gone to open and see what its about. Sometimes they interrupt what I am doing (like when walking, the windows pops, and I stop walking).

Tried a clean install, but it keeps happening. Is there a new feature in the SL client that can trigger this?

Windows 10, AMD Radeon R9 200 video card.

10 answers to this question

Next to the viewer?  Not in the viewer? Then it's likely not something in SL that's doing it.  It sounds more like some other program in your computer has started trying to do things.   Maybe an overactive antivirus routine?  Or a messaging program of some kind? 

• Like 1

Outside the viewer yeah. Was worried for spyware or something but checks clean. It only happens when running SL and only seems to occure when doing something that requires some graphics/loading it seems. Moving around heavy decorated areas for example.

Tried Firestorm and does not happen. Tried other graphic heavy programms and no problem. Only SL with the default viewer.

Interesting.  I cannot imagine anything in the viewer that would trigger windows to open outside of it.  That's why I suggested an overactive anti-virus routine as the possible culprit. Some of them -- Norton is notorious -- may try to scan every single image that your graphics card tries to render, causing your system to slow to a crawl.  Especially if you have just done a clean reinstall and have thus cleared the viewer's cache, it may take a while for it to settle down.  Check to see whether your AV program and firewall have exceptions for the SL viewer.

Only running Windows Defender, a pretty passive scanner. Just tried turning off the scanner for testing but did not help. The problem was also before I did the clean install (did that to solve the problem), it started right after the client update and restart of the viewer.

Thinking about it, I might have also updated the graphic driver around the same time... Will experiment with that tomorrow see if thats causing anything, thought it is weird only SL with the default viewer trigers it.

@Zeta Vandyke
Welcome.

Ok, so on the LL viewer, go to Preferences -> Sound & Media -> Untick "Allow media to autoplay".
That will pretty much fix the problem.  You will still see the console window popping up if you choose to manually start media playing though.

14 hours ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Tried Firestorm and does not happen. Tried other graphic heavy programms and no problem. Only SL with the default viewer.

Yeah this bug is fixed on Firestorm viewer.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.