trying to get started

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

'lo.

So I first logged into SL in 2004, and then a few weeks or months at a time every few years until 2012, and that entire time I never did anything other than hole up in a skybox or sandbox or skybox in a sandbox and build or script.  The whole social aspect of SL kind of disappeared into lines of LSL, and losing interest or having RL interfere.

RP's just been one of those things that just seemed unapproachable for me.  I'm sort of a born lurker.  I could build and script a mean assault rifle or costume or sword (at least back when they were prims), but never did anything with them.

I want to get into it, but I don't want to just walk into some setting and make an ass of myself.  So, are there any recommendations for RP places that either just let you observe, or are extremely newbie friendly?  Adult stuff's fine, but I don't know how accessible that is for someone who's inexperienced.

• Like 1

Well first what sort of roleplay are you looking for? Sounds if you can script a mean assault rifle you are more into Urban or Urban Fantasy. 

Fantasy depends on taste. Im in Crest of Vrekmar thats medieval fantasy. But there are also Game of Thrones sims like Reign of Fire.

Scifi you can find everything from doctor who to Starwars. 

Most places are new person friendly. And if you need help and don't want to feel silly. Look up the roleplay trail. Lots of awesome tips. 

If you neef help further, well there are people to ask myself included.

Most places let you slap on an observer-tag to freely explore. 
My suggestions would be, to think about what kind of genre you'd like to roleplay in, find a few sims that fit that genre. Look around them, observe the people, try to get inspired by your surroundings. 

@HarrisonMCKenzie
Propably the fear of "doing it wrong" when approaching others IC'ly.

8 hours ago, LiyahDeloncroix said:

Well first what sort of roleplay are you looking for? Sounds if you can script a mean assault rifle you are more into Urban or Urban Fantasy. 

Fantasy depends on taste. Im in Crest of Vrekmar thats medieval fantasy. But there are also Game of Thrones sims like Reign of Fire.

Scifi you can find everything from doctor who to Starwars. 

Most places are new person friendly. And if you need help and don't want to feel silly. Look up the roleplay trail. Lots of awesome tips. 

If you neef help further, well there are people to ask myself included.

Holy crap that blog is awesome.  Stuff like the article on how to post in, etc., is exactly the stuff I have no clue about and would rather figure out before I go diving in someone.

8 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

What is it that seems so unapproachable about roleplaying? Is it the rules of the similar? It is the mechanical forms used to designate chat text? Or is it a lack of experience with improvisation?

Rules and etiquette, written and unwritten.  In most other "gamey" online or tabletop situations you've got a solid wall of mechanics to keep you on track, or you're in a situation where social expectations are clear from the getgo not in the least because the other people are physically present.  From the perspective of someone established in a setting, I wouldn't imagine some rando rolling up with a week-old avvie and just started winging it is going to be too endearing.

7 hours ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

Most places let you slap on an observer-tag to freely explore. 
My suggestions would be, to think about what kind of genre you'd like to roleplay in, find a few sims that fit that genre. Look around them, observe the people, try to get inspired by your surroundings. 

@HarrisonMCKenzie
Propably the fear of "doing it wrong" when approaching others IC'ly.

Am I correct to assume how to tag myself as an observer via group or something is going to depend on the rules of the area itself, or is there now some feature that lets you do that now? 

It's funny being a newb again.  The last few days logging back in has been all "why don't I have a last name," "holy crap it's all meshes now," which has been pretty neat, but also "where is everybody?"  The days when you can make connections just hanging around an area like a sandbox long enough or just wandering around casually seem long past.  I think this is true for most massively multiplayer experiences now.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, umbrellamonk said:

From the perspective of someone established in a setting, I wouldn't imagine some rando rolling up with a week-old avvie and just started winging it is going to be too endearing.

Please let go of that notion - a newcomer should and will most likely always be welcome. Everyone started at some point, and if they'd shoo away all the new players, they'd be pretty soon out of roleplay. Granted, there ARE a few elitist *****s, but don't concern yourself with them. 99% of the time they are not even half as good as they think they are.

Also, you get the observer tag in most places via free titler you can get at the landing area, so no need for groups.

• Like 2

I know with us you can get it from the board up in the OOC hub.

As Sukubia said, newcomers are always welcomed. Honestly we were all new once! And we always try and help out. We even make exceptions to rules to help people that need that extra help. So find what interests you and get started.

I am glad the blog helped. It was one of the few I recommend people to help them get started and sometimes just observing roleplay helps to. 

On 4/6/2017 at 1:06 AM, umbrellamonk said:

Rules and etiquette, written and unwritten.  In most other "gamey" online or tabletop situations you've got a solid wall of mechanics to keep you on track, or you're in a situation where social expectations are clear from the getgo not in the least because the other people are physically present.  From the perspective of someone established in a setting, I wouldn't imagine some rando rolling up with a week-old avvie and just started winging it is going to be too endearing.

Thanks. I've been pondering that rules part the more I look at it. Obviously, there won't really be "mechanics" for how to handle most things, since it's all freeform roleplay, but it seems there could be more direction given for those who want it. I also think the "rules" of roleplay are a little bit weird and offputting for some people. At the end of the day, the rules should simply be about playing your character and following the leads of normal events (so not making decisions for other characters, not making up things that don't make sense, and not being a special snowflake). Everything after that just seems to be form for form's sake.

I recommend that you do try though. There's nothing wrong with being new. I'm an experienced tabletop gamer but was fairly new to online RP. I think I still am. But if you play your character as they would act and follow and build on what's happening (improvisers always say yes to keep the improv going), you're already most of the way there.

• Like 2

I was brand new to RP when I was new here (and still feel very much like a beginner in that arena).  Both NCI and Caledon Oxbridge have classes in basic RP, covering some of the more general items that come up in most types of RP as well as a basic overview of some of the types of RP that can be found in SL.  I found both of the classes very informative, and got something from both (they didn't both cover the exact same things in the same way).  RP sims may also have classes for things that are specific to their particular story line and how they conduct their RP - I know that the sim I RP at tries to do that when we have new players, and I think I've seen similar types of notices about classes at some of the other RP sims I've gone to check out. 

Find some places in a genre that's interesting to you and go for it!

• Like 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1429 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.