Interview

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey guys, I'm doing a little research on how it is to be a female in Second Life. Before I started this research, I read some articles which said that Second Life sexualises women and is kind of sexist, but this doesn't fully correspond with the image I got after interacting with people and playing the game on several accounts. During my playtime I did run into some folks who only wanted to have sex, but I also met a lot of wonderful people who just  wanted to chat, do fun things and start a friendship. Also, I don't think having sex on Second Life is necessarily a bad thing. I read some people's blogs about how Second Life helped them explore and embrace their sexuality. I'm very curious about people's personal views and experiences on being female in Second Life. Would someone with a female avatar be willing to help me and share their experiences in an interview? Thanks for your attention!

18 minutes ago, LaraQuaffed said:

Hey guys, I'm doing a little research on how it is to be a female in Second Life. Before I started this research, I read some articles which said that Second Life sexualises women and is kind of sexist, but this doesn't fully correspond with the image I got after interacting with people and playing the game on several accounts. During my playtime I did run into some folks who only wanted to have sex, but I also met a lot of wonderful people who just  wanted to chat, do fun things and start a friendship. Also, I don't think having sex on Second Life is necessarily a bad thing. I read some people's blogs about how Second Life helped them explore and embrace their sexuality. I'm very curious about people's personal views and experiences on being female in Second Life. Would someone with a female avatar be willing to help me and share their experiences in an interview? Thanks for your attention!

1. Read articles about how FirstLife sexualises women.

2. "playing the game" means you didn't actually get what SecondLife is... this isn't a "game" that you play, it's a PLACE you visit.

3. Generally the experience of being female in SecondLife is exactly the same as the experience of being female in FirstLife except... When you knee some knuckle-dragging neanderthal retard in the danglies for grabbing your ass in SecondLife, they don't collapse on the floor screaming like a disembowled horse and vomiting (Devs take note, we really need this feature, A1 priority, forget that Project Stupid VR Art Gallery crap, this is important).

4. Guess what, you are not the first student to ask for SL residents to submit to an interview, or fill in a questionaire, or generally waste their time assisting with research as pointless and unoriginal as "whats it like being female in". Good luck with that

• Like 1

Though not a woman, I can say that sexualizing women is not the same as sex with women. There are far more clothes available for women that are very provocative or that objectify women than there are demure or modest or dowdy ... take your pick regarding the stereotypes of women " cheap", "femme fatale" "baby girl" ... hmmm any others I can think of would likely not make it past the filter here. I do not know that SL sexualizes women or whether it is that women in SL want to look sexy in SL. Intentionally drawing the "male gaze" will sexualize a women, not that that is a bad or wrong. A good many female avatars I have seen prefer a very busty figure, oftentimes with a large derriere. Now, is it content creators who have turned them into sex objects or the women wearing such bodies that want to be seen that way?

As for it being sexist ... hmmm I can see D/s rp being interpreted as sexist, as well as heterosexual Gorean sims. However, in general, I do not perceive SL as sexist. Women have equal opportunities to own sims, start businesses, and if they are land owners or premium members, receive the same level of support from LL as men. Some of the best scripters and content creators and SL artists are women.

• Like 1

I don't really understand your correlation to having sex and being discriminated against for being a woman. As Nikolai stated, there are a lot of of over-sexualized articles of clothing on this game but what was not mentioned is that a lot if the content creators for these items are women. SL has somewhat become a platform for people to explore their sexuality. Of course there are over sexualized items in SL. On any given day the most popular sims in SL are sex related.

I myself have never experienced sexism on SL. I have been on this game (I know people hate calling it that but that's what it is to me) for 7+ years and have never once felt discriminated against for being a female. If anything women receive more from this platform than men as there is more content put out for women.

The only place I have ever heard of as being sexist is a club called Misogyny but that is specifically made for that very purpose.

"Similarly, some of the first educators and researchers in SL were a bit clumsy in their approach. There were early incidents in which Residents felt—rightly—that they were being spied upon or treated like guinea pigs rather than human beings. Imagine how you would feel if an entire class of students set up right next to your vacation hideaway, left trash lying around, logged your conversations, and posted them on the Internet with criticism and mean-spirited comments. This is exactly what happened to some early Residents. Things have improved greatly in the years since then, but sometimes SL Residents are still subject to that kind of inconsiderate behavior. For example, a constant stream of researchers (often students) posts on the Second Life official forums requesting that Residents please take their surveys. Most of these surveys include the same questions that have been asked over and over. Often they aren't spell-checked, or refer to SL as a game—a sure way to irritate a substantial number of Residents. Some Residents make a hobby of critiquing these surveys, pointing out how the questions and their wording make it clear that the researcher isn't familiar with Second Life. Some post outright that they are sick of badly planned surveys and suggest that the researchers log in and do their own research. "

From The Second Life Grid: The official guide to communication, collaboration, and community engagement

by Kimberly Rufer-Bach

ISBN: 978-0-470-41291-6

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LaraQuaffed said:

Would someone with a female avatar be willing to help me and share their experiences in an interview?

/me looks at the user name again.

sexist, sex, sex sexuality.

I'm very curious

Would someone with a female avatar be willing to help me and share their experiences in an interview?

No.

I get the feeling this is more of wink, wink; nudge, nudge than a serious request.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marianne McCann said:

"Similarly, some of the first educators and researchers in SL were a bit clumsy in their approach. There were early incidents in which Residents felt—rightly—that they were being spied upon or treated like guinea pigs rather than human beings. Imagine how you would feel if an entire class of students set up right next to your vacation hideaway, left trash lying around, logged your conversations, and posted them on the Internet with criticism and mean-spirited comments. This is exactly what happened to some early Residents. Things have improved greatly in the years since then, but sometimes SL Residents are still subject to that kind of inconsiderate behavior. For example, a constant stream of researchers (often students) posts on the Second Life official forums requesting that Residents please take their surveys. Most of these surveys include the same questions that have been asked over and over. Often they aren't spell-checked, or refer to SL as a game—a sure way to irritate a substantial number of Residents. Some Residents make a hobby of critiquing these surveys, pointing out how the questions and their wording make it clear that the researcher isn't familiar with Second Life. Some post outright that they are sick of badly planned surveys and suggest that the researchers log in and do their own research. "

From The Second Life Grid: The official guide to communication, collaboration, and community engagement

by Kimberly Rufer-Bach

ISBN: 978-0-470-41291-6

THIS, so at the risk of sounding unfriendly I will pose a few questions.

For what purpose are you doing this research?  School paper?  Magazine or News article?  Personal Curiosity? 

You end your request by asking, "Would someone."  Do you only want to speak with one person or more than one?

8 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

No.

I get the feeling this is more of wink, wink; nudge, nudge than a serious request.

Could be a fan of Poe.

"Quaff, oh quaff this kind nepenthe, and forget this lost Lenore!"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Annika Velde said:

The only place I have ever heard of as being sexist is a club called Misogyny but that is specifically made for that very purpose.

If you think that's the only one, you need to get out more, there's a whole raft of them, such as "Dommes who know their place..." (clarified in the group description as "on their knees sucking...") and many more. On friday I was propositioned by a guy in a furry herm avi, with oversized groin prim and THREE pairs of *****, when I refused, he questioned why, I said "did you see the word lesbian in the profile" and his response was "oh ur wun of them librals, i cee u al da time here in califoria" and then attempted a rlv based griefing attack so utterly pathetic, he wasn't even worth making an  AR for. However, apparently my refusal to suck dog pizzle offended a 5 day old noob and her equally pretentious and clueless Master-wannabe, and I received more abuse for not being straight, oddly the spectators were more offensive then the initial culprit. I'm constantly amused at how... Sheltered... some of your SecondLives are.  And for the record NO I wasn't hanging out at a hetro nude orgy Maledom sex sim.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LaraQuaffed said:

Be aware that someone with a female avatar isn't necessarily female in RL. I think RL males would be likely to describe the experience of being female here differently than females.

Annika notes that a lot of hypersexual content in SL is created by women. That, however, does not automatically negate any potential claim of sexism. The women who create here grew up in RL and we can't help but be shaped by our upbringing. We can be our own worst enemies. I am certainly Snugs' worst enemy.

Lara, if you don't get much insight into what it's like to be a female in SL, you'll at least get some insight into what it's like to be a researcher.

Good luck!

;-).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Klytyna said:

It seems that you may be sheltered as well if you get so upset over people on the internet being annoying. It's quite simple to block and derender someone that is vexing. -shrugs-  I can see the irritation for being harassed about your sexuality but if you've ever spent time on any other platform that requires internet and conversing with other people, you would know that its unfortunately the nature of the beast. 

I see your point about sexism though. I tend to stick to my shopping events and art installments so I don't see that side as much. If I've ever been harassed, it's not been anything noteworthy as I tend to chalk these things up to be someone who clearly thinks SL is only a platform for pixel sex.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Gender in Second Life has a wrinkle that First Life lacks; Gender Paranoia :-)

If a female avatar acts "differently" than someone's perceived stereotype of "feminine" (maybe you told some gropey "come to my sexball" guy where to stuff his balls....), you can be immediately be hit with the accusation; "O! U R a guy IRL?".  Usually followed by a demand to voice-verify to "prove" your gender.

Don't get me wrong, First Life is catching up on this one - but in SL its pretty much an everyday thing if you're "overly assertive" (by someone else's standard).

Edited by Suzanne Weir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2570 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.