What does it mean when I enter

JenniferAnneSL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

a sim and I get a message that script is too high or something similar and that I must reduce within a time frame or get booted.  And how do I fix that and stay there. It seems to happen in several places especially music sims or beach sims.  Is it me? I keep getting bounded or teleported somewhere

It means that whoever owns the parcel has rezzed a gadget that counts either the number of active scripts you are wearing in attachments and HUDs or the total memory they use.  If the number/total memory use is higher than the limit the parcel-owner has specified, you can't stay.

It's supposedly to help region performance and stop things from getting too laggy.   How much it actually helps is a matter of debate, and it's not a debate I want to get into here, but the fix is to remove any highly-scripted attachments you may be wearing.

If you go to World>About Land>General, and then click the Script Info button down at the bottom of the window that opens, and then click the My Avatar tab on the window that then opens, you can see how much memory each item you're wearing is using.

Certainly remove any HUDs you don't need while you're in the area -- stuff for re-texturing mesh bodies and clothes you can probably do without, and special AOs for Bento hands and the like.   Older hairs and shoes may have resizer scripts in every prim, which they no longer need to have.    Quite often,scripted attachments have  a "remove all scripts" option, so you can take a back-up copy with all the scripts and keep that safe, and then adjust copies of the attachment to how you want them with particular outfits and then remove the scripts from them and save them as part of that outfit.

• Like 1

My old Akeyo HUD and the MystiTool used to get me yelled at in places like that... >.<; I've since learned to easily do without them, but yeah, a lot of places do that in an attempt to reduce lag (of debatable value, as noted above). Some do the kicky-outy, some just spam you until you submit. Once you get into the habit of de-scripting things that don't need scripts in them, it stops.

I know it's annoying, but if it's their sim, they're going to do whatever they think is best for them... I know it kept me from visiting a lot of places I might otherwise have enjoyed, though.

Edited by Berksey

It's not that scripts cause lag per se (they can, but most of them don't), but the act of entering a sim while carrying lots of scripts that causes lag. The amount of scripts in attached items is directly correlated with the severity of the lag spike that occurs when an avatar enters the sim. This is especially annoying in high-traffic combat or other action game sims that depend on projectiles and vehicles.

I use a script guard that will warn people with 100 scripts or more—in a polite manner—with an elaborate explanation and instructions for how to lower their script count. If the count is over 200, the avatar gets a similar warning, but is also ejected instantly. About 5% of all SL residents carry 200 scripts or more. Most within this minor group are willing to put some effort into lowering that amount. Some don't. Their loss and mine. All in all, it's a great asset to keep the lag spikes down in my air combat place. It is by no means my intention to patronize anyone. However, if they don't agree with the sim policy, there are plenty of other sims to go to, each with their own rules.

There is absolutely no reason for an avatar to carry more than ±50 scripts, so I consider this particular threshold (>100 warn/>200 eject) rather generous. The highest script counts occur from old freebie shoes, old freebie hair, and old freebie HUDs. It's mainly old freebie junk that is the mother of all evil. If you ever consider lowering your script count, detach these items first. For a less laggy SL.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

I'm the perpetrator :) Well, one of them. I make those scripts-counting gadgets. Many sim owners believe that a large number of scripts residing in objects worn by avatars increases the sim lag. Whether or not it is true is disputable but there is a demand for script-counting gadgets which would eject an avatar wearing "excessive" scripts so I sell them.

The only way to stay in a sim deploying such scripts counter is to take off some attachments you wear within a time limit allowed by the scripts counter. My counters give you 15 minutes to decrease number of worn scripts by taking off attachments, which is plenty of time. Other counters may give less time. Turning scripts to not running (inactive) in an attachment may or may not help as a sim owner has an option to configure the counter to count all scripts, active and inactive.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2549 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.