AO animations will not stop even with HUD detached

Jazaar Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a recurring problem with getting a specific AO HUD to stop animating me. This is Tuty's Adored Girl AO. The problem has happened several times in the past, lasts for several days to a week, then has stopped itself without me ever being able to figure out how to resolve it myself. It started happening again this morning so I thought I would see if anyone has ideas.

So far I have tried all of the following, with no result:

1) Stopped and detaching the HUD (obviously).

2) Stopping animations, both under Avatar Health and in the Animation Explorer

2) Clearing my cache

3) Relogging (many times) as well as going to different sims

4) Removing everything from my avatar except the Firestorm Bridge

5) Wearing different AO HUD's from other vendors

6) Wearing different bodies (including a tree)

None of these have had any effect, the animations keep cycling. When I display the animation list over my head, even with nothing attached to me, it continues to show the names of the anims (stand 01, stand 02, etc.) as if the HUD were still attached and running.

The only clue I have is the Animation Explorer, screen shot attached. When the 'real' HUD is attached and running, it shows the actual name of the HUD (Tuty's Adored Girl). When I stop and detach the HUD, the animations continue, but just showing my name, Jazaar Resident. Pressing Stop in Animation Explorer does nothing. When I press Stop and Revoke permissions, the current animation stops for about three seconds and then starts up again.That is the *only* thing that has had any effect at all; all the other steps above never stopped them at all.

Any assistance gratefully accepted (and yes, I will stop using this HUD once I can stop moving!)

Anim Explorer.JPG

11 answers to this question

Take a look at the description of the LSL function llSetAnimationOverride in the LSL wiki. It's one of the handiest functions added to LSL in recent years.  Basically, what it does is allow a script to selectively replace any of the standard animations that your avatar uses with a specific, customized one that you choose.  For example, the viewer normally defaults to the awkward-looking "duck walk" animation, walk, if you don't replace it deliberately.  In the old days (before a couple of years ago), your AO would have to carefully stop the default walk animation each time you started walking and then start the specific replacement in its own inventory -- over and over again, every time you moved.  Now, with llSetAnimationOverride, a script only has to make that substitution once, and the viewer remembers the change until you relog. That simplifies making AOs greatly, and allows scripters to do a lot of other nice tricks.

If you look at the notes in that wiki entry, you'll see that "Animation overrides survive script reset, script removal, attachment removal, crossing into another region and teleporting, but not relog."  That's one of the really cool features of the function. As I just described, it persists.  That also explains why none of the methods that you used for undoing the substitution worked.  They shouldn't.  Except, of course, when you want to stop them.  Then, as the notes explain, " Once the PERMISSION_OVERRIDE_ANIMATIONS permission is granted there may be no way to revoke it except from inside the script (for example, with a new llRequestPermissions call) or if the script is reset."   LSL also includes a handy function, llResetAnimationOverride(ALL), that does it.  AOs made in the last couple of years should all have a way to call that function or to simply reset the script when you want to.  Yours probably does but either (1) you have been detaching the AO without clicking the reset button or its equivalent first or (2) it's broken.  I'd suggest reading the instructions that came with the HUD carefully to see what they tell you to do.  If they are ambiguous, contact the creator to get a repaired HUD or just use a different one.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I thought you might like to know how your AO works. ;)  Or should work.

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Thank you, Rolig! Lots of good info there.

It all tracks with my experience with this problem so far, except for this part: "...survive script reset, script removal, attachment removal, crossing into another region and teleporting, but not relog."  My issue *is* persisting after relog, any time that I log back in even with my avatar still stripped to the bone and no attachments of any sort, the anims are still running and cycling. Since there is no HUD showing for these, I can't reset it. If I add the HUD back on, it adds another set of the same anims (hence the ones showing up in the Explorer panel with the actual HUD name), but using *that* HUD's menu and reset or anything else still isn't touching these zombie versions of those anims that won't let go.

I will try contacting the ao creator but since I can't actually 'see' anything other than the list in the Explorer window (and the fact that I am moving with these recognizable anims), I suspect they match scratch their heads too. But I will give that a shot.

Thanks for your help!

Hmm... Then something is clearly not right.  Anims and scripts cannot run without being IN something.  If not your AO, then some attachment, maybe a mesh body?  We're grasping at straws now.  Could you have worn a copy of your AO instead of attaching it as a HUD?  So that is small and inside you?

Edited by Rolig Loon

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Hmm... Then something is clearly not right.  Anims and scripts cannot run without being IN something.  If not your AO, then some attachment, maybe a mesh body?  We're grasping at straws now.  Could you have worn a copy of your AO instead of attaching it as a HUD?  So that is small and inside you?

I know, me too! :)  I have tried two different mesh bodies, my sl body, a tree avatar... Each of those loading from previously saved Outfits. I tried resetting myself as the default sl female avatar (uggggly!) and even it was still moving to these same anims. It's downright spooky!

I also have an alt, and I logged in with that to see if it was somehow my viewer, but the alt was fine, she behaved normally.

Solved it! It was of course something stupid on my part.  :D

It *was* the Firestorm AO. At some point in the past, I had loaded that with the stands anims from my HUD, and had totally forgotten that I had done that. The AO button was not active on my toolbar, so I assumed it was off. Between that and forgetting I had modified it, I was looking at everything *except* that, lol.

I had been cycling through some outfits and I think a particular RLV item triggered the Firestorm AO button 'on' even though it was not showing on my toolbar. Once I dragged it to my toolbar I saw it was checked 'on' and I remembered what I had done before with modifying it. As soon as I unchecked it, the zombie anims stopped.

I have now removed all those anims from the AO button, and unchecked it again, and all is good.

Thank you all for your help! Very much appreciated!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.