Macbook Pro Oddity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was just logging in.to say you only have to run what's under the automation tab, but It looks like you tried that. Sorry nothing have worked so far. Hope you don't give up on SL altogether. If I can think of anything new, I'll be sure to post it.

- Luc -

Just a control question:

Did you install any virus protection software on your Mac? If you did, delete it (uninstall).

It does more harm than good, and it not need as there are no know viruses or malware in the wild for the Mac. It will not protect you from the few know trojans you actively have to install yourself either. 

Then get the combo system installer (10.6.7) and run it to restore your system to a good, known state.  Combo installer can be downloaded from http://support.apple.com/downloads/

Finally, did you do anything to your firewall settings? if so, turn the firewall off. Unless you have specific needs, it is not required to run on the Mac as very few ports are open by default and those that are, are all sandboxes. A default install does also not respond to pings. 

A couple of things.

I don't remember if they have been asked and answered before. Exactly at what point does the freeze happen? I mean, how far into the launch process do you get before the crash? Does it happen straight away? Does it happen after the login screen comes up? Does it happen after you click log in?

Also, I wonder if this started to happen just after a new version of the viewer was released? What is the version number of the viewer you use (look in help->About Second life to find the number)?

I'm also still thinking about hardware errors, so I'm wondering; Does the mac happen to play a different sound than it used to when you start it up?

Onyx, perhaps you could create a separate thread for your issue. It seems sufficiently different than the OP's issue so that ist probably should have it's own thread, and we have to a degree taken over the thread with this problem. @Scooter; I hope you don't mind to much. Any change to your issue, by the way?

- Luc -

• 1 month later...

I have an early 2011 MBP with the same specs: AMD Radeon 6750M and Intel HD Graphics 3000 with 8 MB Memory.  SL settings defaults to the lowest quality graphic settings.  If i move the setting to excellent or Ultra, the movement is very choppy.  I have a late 2009 iMac with a lesser graphics card, an ATI Radeon HD 4850 that performs very well and defaults in graphics settings to excellent.  I'm doing a hardware test on the MBP and the quick test came up with everything OK.  Is this because Second Life doesn't recognize this new card?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.