Macbook Pro Oddity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know this is an oft spoken topic, but I really think this is a new one.

I have a brand new Macbook Pro.  He has two cards (AMD Radeon HD 6750M and Intel HD Graphics 3000).  Neither are in the approved list.  they SEEM to want to work.  I log in once, and I'm fine.  No problems.  I log out, and can never get the program to draw on the screen again.  The program IS running in the background, if I swipe another app window (twitter, for example) across the SL screen, it redraws the current after it passes, but does not update.

If I download a thrid party browser and try it...  Same thing.  ALWAYS works once, then not again.

Any ideas???

TY

Is that the the i7 Mac but then just with regular video and ram? From what I understand you have to have the upgraded video and ram on a MacBook to make it work with SL. When I bought mine I asked if they could allow me to sign onto my SL account to see how it worked, they had to bring a computer from the back with the right specs to show me. I ended up getting that same configuration, it is not the basic model.

The only thing it may be is that the computer is set to run on power savings in the system profiler. Check your energy saver settings and make sure you have your computer is set to run on higher performance and not better battery life. This made SL for me run amazing it worked good at first and about a month after playing I found that I thought I was in heaven :D hope this helps with your problem! 

Just a thought (I have no idea about the new MacBook Pros). The portables swap automatically between the two graphics card, right? Could it have to do with that? You should be able to choose to use the better graphics processor all the time if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps that helps?

- Luc -

This is frightening news as i was hoping upgrading to a new Macbook Pro would improve my SL experience. You could try the latest Development builds of Viewer2

This sounds like a problem i would stumble upon when enabling  some of the higher graphics features such as occlusion & shadows. Id be stuck unable to access anything cos the screen would freeze and fragment as if it had taken a screen grab and distorted when ever i moved the mouse across it. Only way to fix it was to dumb the cache and settings and start again on lower settings.

Also try it without OpenGL buffering and see if that does anything. 

Please keep us informed of your findings as i am really interested to know how well SL works on the new macs

One thing you can do is to install gfxCardStatus from http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus to check that your machine actually has switched to the discrete AMD Radeon HD 6750M when running the SecondLife viewer. You can also use this utility to force it into running on that card if the switching for some odd reason is not working as expected. 

Thanks for all the responses.

"Is that the the i7 Mac but then just with regular video and ram?"

No.  It's a 15" 2.3 g, and I've upgraded to 8g Ram.  EVERYTHING other than SL runs fine.  Everything, no matter how graphics intesnive.  It does auto switch based on battry power, but I'm checking it on the profile and it's running the high end card.  I've even tryed turning off swtiching, so it stay on the high end.  No joy.

I've not run any beta viewers, if that it the question, but the v2 functions just the same as the others.  Runs perfectly onces, then fails.  I'm not savvy enough to mess with Open GL.  I enjoy SL, but I have other things on the computer that MUST work.  So I don't want to mess around too much with the core system (especially given that I don't really know what I'm doing).

• 2 weeks later...

I have the new 15.4"  early 2011 MacBook Pro.  It is CTO and it works with Second Life minimally.  It is a higher end version of the new notebook with AMD Radeon HD 6750M (1024 MB) plus Intel graphics 3000.  8 GB memory, 7200 RPM HD.  I have a late 2009 iMac purchased a year ago and that DOES work with Second Life with much better graphics (defaults to high).  The MBP defaults to Low Graphics.  If I set it to High or Ultra, the movement is very choppy.

Initially, SL didn't work at all on the MBP, because i used Migration Assistant and it may have picked up the settings of my iMac.  Still for nearly $3000, SL should run exceptionally well.  Is it SL's fault???

Well that stinks.  But, since throwing out the support folder (/Username/Library/application support/) fixes the problem for the next time you log in, does anyone have a clue which files it is that messes things up?  I'd love to retain at leas some of my prefs, but as is I trash the folder then log in and spend 5 minutes configuring my brwser.  Thanks.

I'm not sure throwing out the entire Application support folder is either a good idea or necessary. Open it and throw out the inidividual items (Second Life, Phoenix, Imprudence or whatever) from it that you need to, but I think it's best to leave the folder itself in place. (Both Apple applications and 3rd party apps expect an Application support folder to be present, and I don't think all apps recreate it if it is missing.)

- Luc -

I'm sorry, that's want I mean.  I throw out the Second Life folder or the Phoenix folder.  Not the while App support folder.  But there are a MILLION Files within even thoughs folders and I don't know which one or ones are my problem.  But if I drag the whole, say pheonix folder to the trash, the next time I start phoenix, it works.

Oh, Right. I understand :)

Yes, there are tons of files in the different folders. You could try the elimination method to find the correct folder that's giving you problem. Move one folder at a time to your desktop, start up the program and see what makes it start up normally.

On my own Mac, I have had a couple of issues related to access rights to some SL viewer files. This was files within the application itself, so not really the same thing, but I was wondering if it helped to change the access rights on the Phoenix folder in Application support, and all files inside it, so that both the owner and the group have Read & Write access. This is a longshot, and I don't think it will make any difference, but it's pretty harmless to try.

- Luc -

you guys are truly scaring me. i came to apple because i was tired of all the garbage that was infecting my pc's. i bought the top of the line mpb last year--dual core, i7, etc. because  i was told that  it would run sl--not the new jobbie you're  referencing here, but its predecessor.

the long and short of this is after running perfectly for 8 months, it's begun to freeze on take-off and the only thing that restores it is a hard reboot. i just got a call from the mac techs and their argument is that it's not a hardware problem, per se, but the simple fact that sl is supposed to run on a desktop w/ at least an nvidia 9600 or ati 4870 (?).

now i read you all and you say that even the newest mbp w/ the amd6750m is useless as well? do i have to go back to pc's?

forgive me. i have no tech sense, so speak slowly to this girl.

thanks,

onyx

onyx Marabana wrote:

the long and short of this is after running perfectly for 8 months, it's begun to freeze on take-off and the only thing that restores it is a hard reboot. i just got a call from the mac techs and their argument is that it's not a hardware problem, per se, but the simple fact that sl is
supposed
to run on a desktop w/ at least an nvidia 9600 or ati 4870 (?).

They're lying, this is a driver problem. One of the primary purposes of the OS is to prevent programs from locking up the machine like that. If a program does lock the machine up then it may have bugs, but it's the OS's fault for letting it happen in the first place.

Hi Onyx.

I've been running SL on the same machine you have, and have only had the occasional freeze taking down the whole system. Never on startup of the viewer, though. Lots of people are doing the same, so the tech rep might be technically right, but it should not be a problem running SL on the MBP you have. I don't know what the problem with the newest MBP's is, but your generation should run SL fine.

The mac does, however, need some maintenance from time to time. This is pretty easy to do, and will most likely prevent some issues. Whether it will help your issue, I don't know, but the tasks should be done nevertheless on occasion. The easiest way is to download Onyx :o and run, at the very least, the tasks it ask to run on startup, and the tasks in the autmation section. Be aware that you have to run it on a user account on your mac that has 'Admin' rights.

Try that and see if it helps.

- Luc -

onyx Marabana wrote:

thank you leilei and luke. one more question: what about this issue of running sl thr ough bootcamp. how does that work? DOES it work? will i need to load windows7? and will it affect anything else l'm doing?

thank you.

om~

Yes, you would have to run Windows 7 and bootcamp is unlikely to have drivers for your MBP that will run SL properly.

Sounds like your problem is not in the Application Support folder (which you really never need to tamper with), but in the Caches folder that lives in Library. Locate the SecondLife folder there and delete it, then restart your viewer. 

To me it sounds like something on your disk is write locked for you, so it may also be worthwhile to run Disk Utility and do a permission check on you harddisk. if you have been messing with Application Support, chances are you have changed permissions on folders, and running DU can undo some of that.  Actually you should do this after deleting the SecondLife cache, but before starting the viewer again. 

Yes, it is perfectly possible to run SL via windows in BootCamp. I have never done it myself, but from what I know it should work very well. The way (I think) it works is that you use a part of your disk for use by bootcamp, install windows on this partition and boot up :) You can share folders between the Mac and windows partitions if you want to so that you can work on the same files in both environments. Running windows in bootcamp should not affect anything else on your mac.

[EDIT] Perhaps best to follow Gavin's advice on this since I never used bootcamp...

Another option - which also require you to install windows - is using http://www.virtualbox.org/ which lets you run windows inside MacOS. You should probably have at least 4gb RAM to do this for a smooth experience. Some configuration is also necessary. I have never tried this so I can not say if it is a good solution.

Good luck!

- Luc -

Any virtual machine will run SL like a total dog, so don't even think about it. (because of the rather crappy virtual graphics drivers.)

Concentrate on getting the SL viewer running native on the Mac. ;-) 

... and don't mess with the Application Support folder unless you totally know what you are doing.

Drivers are not installed there anyway, and the SL viewer does not install any drivers on the Mac. Driver installation requires reboot as they execute in the kernel space. 

Gavin Hird wrote:

Any virtual machine will run SL like a total dog, so don't even think about it. (because of the rather crappy virtual graphics drivers.)

I've never tried it, and prefer not to, but it is an option (but not a good one, it seems :)). You are totally right, and the SL viewer is running like a dog at the best of times, in any OS. :o

Gavin Hird wrote:

Concentrate on getting the SL viewer running native on the Mac. ;-) 

Definitely the best thing to do!

As you said previously, repairing disk permissions and also running the periodical scrips can only help when there are issues. That's why I suggested Onyx in a previous post. It is the easiest way to perform these maintenance tasks without knowing much about it.

Not so sure about the access permission thing, though. If a file or folder was write locked, I don't think it would help to restart the Mac. Emptying the cache folder, though, *is* likely to help - agreed.

- Luc -

Rebooting the system will not clear a locked folder issue, as the permissions are written to disk immediately and not only held in memory. 

If permissions (and other important files/folders) are messed up, a good strategy can be to grab the latest Mac OS X Combo installer, and let it reinstall the system to a known state. This usually will fix odd issues.  Combo installers can be grabbed from http://support.apple.com/downloads/

;-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4703 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.