Second Life Beta

Jerilynn Lemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

This is more a curiosity question than a problem question.

Tonight, I ventured to SL Beta to work on some texturing for my boat. No sooner had I arrived, I saw what appeared to be someone's complete sim with a number of sky boxes set up. When I attempted to rez the boat, I was given an error message telling me the boat could not be rezzed due to the region being full. So I fly to the next region and had no problems completing my project.

I'm wondering if SL Beta has a time rule of how long projects can be left on the ground there. I last visited about a year ago and was amazed at the open space available. There were others there, doing their own thing and all was fine, plenty of room there where no one would get in anyone's way. The last thing I would expect at SL Beta was a notice that the region was full.

I do know that Beta is offered by LL on a first come basis if LL is not using it for their reasons, but to have what appears to be someones private play area seems out of place.

Has anyone noticed this too?

7 answers to this question

On the beta grid you will find copies of regions from the main grid. These regions get imported for testing purposes. The region has something the Lindens think will stress the simulator software. Or they may be regions that are having main grid problems. In beta the Lindens can test to see what is causing the problems. 

Regions that are good at stressing the simulator may remain in ADITI indefinitely, being used to test each new update. Others may last a day or week. Or they may just get left behind and be ignored until a Linden needs some server space for something.

You cannot count on a region always being there. Or that the stuff you left there will be there when you come back.

ADITI is not like the sandboxes on the main grid. The regions may or may not have return times.

You will also find regions that sort of belong to a SL user. These are usually people that have a reputation for helping out the Lindens and that for whatever reason needed a space to do testing the Lindens felt would help the community.

Basically, I am saying we just never know... But, fairness is not at play in ADITI.

• Like 2

Up at the top of your viewer in the info panel it states (in the sandbox my alt uses anyway) :

Mesh Sandbox - 12 Hour Return, Mesh Sandbox 3 (161, 42, 22) - Moderate

That has been consistent for a very long time and things do disappear after 12 hours if you forget to take them back up. Some folks are there with the same project every day, so it may appear they are more permanent, but my things have definitely disappeared at the 12 hour mark.

All the official sandboxes I have been to have had the time limit in the  land tab so it is easy to see. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jerilynn Lemon said:

With due respect to Chic and Rolig, this is the most logical answer to my question.

After a few days, I ventured back to Beta and had to double check (as in my previous visit) that I wasn't in-world but in Beta. My last visit had me in a place that did not allow rezzing (wtf?). One time showed me the region was full. I'm thinking "this is Beta, a place to test uploads and such before dropping in the usual inventory and use on the ground".

So my next visit will probably have me on another region and I'll have to make sure I'm really not in-world, but in SL Beta.

TY Nalates with hat tips to Chic and Rolig.

Just like all of Agni isn't a sandbox, neither is all of Aditi.

You need to type sandbox into the map to find one. The mesh sandboxes VERY VERY VERY RARELY change. I have logged into to the same Mesh Sandbox for  many month. The sandboxes are there for people to upload mesh and test. You can upload textures and animations anywhere on Aditi for free, but you cannot rez everywhere. 

So find yourself a sandbox and then log into the same location the next time, not "home". 

sandbox.JPG

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

On 3/31/2017 at 6:26 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

On the beta grid you will find copies of regions from the main grid. These regions get imported for testing purposes. The region has something the Lindens think will stress the simulator software. Or they may be regions that are having main grid problems. In beta the Lindens can test to see what is causing the problems. 

Regions that are good at stressing the simulator may remain in ADITI indefinitely, being used to test each new update. Others may last a day or week. Or they may just get left behind and be ignored until a Linden needs some server space for something.

You cannot count on a region always being there. Or that the stuff you left there will be there when you come back.

ADITI is not like the sandboxes on the main grid. The regions may or may not have return times.

You will also find regions that sort of belong to a SL user. These are usually people that have a reputation for helping out the Lindens and that for whatever reason needed a space to do testing the Lindens felt would help the community.

Basically, I am saying we just never know... But, fairness is not at play in ADITI.

With due respect to Chic and Rolig, this is the most logical answer to my question.

After a few days, I ventured back to Beta and had to double check (as in my previous visit) that I wasn't in-world but in Beta. My last visit had me in a place that did not allow rezzing (wtf?). One time showed me the region was full. I'm thinking "this is Beta, a place to test uploads and such before dropping in the usual inventory and use on the ground".

So my next visit will probably have me on another region and I'll have to make sure I'm really not in-world, but in SL Beta.

TY Nalates with hat tips to Chic and Rolig.

13 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just like all of Agni isn't a sandbox, neither is all of Aditi.

You need to type sandbox into the map to find one. The mesh sandboxes VERY VERY VERY RARELY change. I have logged into to the same Mesh Sandbox for  many month. The sandboxes are there for people to upload mesh and test. You can upload textures and animations anywhere on Aditi for free, but you cannot rez everywhere. 

So find yourself a sandbox and then log into the same location the next time, not "home". 

sandbox.JPG

TBH, that never entered my mind. That would explain why the first few times I went there in the past, I was in an open area. I happened to land in a sandbox.

TY for the tip Chic. I will do a search next time.

From time to time you will find sandbox sets. These are 2 or 4 regions that have different versions of the server software. This allows Lindens and users to easily test things in different versions of the server software. So, the sandboxes in ADITI are a bit more complex as they are there for more than user item building and testing. They serve a primary purpose of providing troubleshooting places based on server versions. They answer the question, Is it me or the server?

However, I suspect most users are only concerned with testing their own stuff... I'm one of those, now that the scripting language is mostly static..

The Thursday Beta Server UG meets on Thursdays in Morris, ADITI @ 3PM SLT. If you are curious what is going on with ADITI this is the meeting to be at.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2572 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.