System clothing on decline?

Zantyago Mannonen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Fitted mesh bodies respond to edits to your worn shape in the same way that the classic avatar body does.

Well in a perfect world but not-so-much in ours :D.

A new male body (beta) came out a few days ago. I was very interested to try it out as the others I have demoed didn't measure up. I should say that I resisted (avoided in caps really) mesh bodies for gals until Lara came out. I am not a big shopper and I tend to keep things I like for a long time, not change hourly.  

Anyway the new body had some pluses. The default body skin was way nicer than many of the others I tested. The hud looked impressive with some extras (apparently - it was late and I had been blogging for nine hours so beyond exhausted)  that weren't in my Lara body. 

And then there is that "but". The shape I was wearing the body with wasn't one with super muscles or even all that large -- compared to many male avatars. It was fairly 'beefy' though, not a swimmer's body as my mum would say.   I noted that the mesh body was considerably smaller in some areas than the shape beneath it. You could see the legacy body shell on top of the mesh body -- especially in the chest area. The wrists and ankles were way more slight that you would expect in a guy with some poundage and muscles. The butt was larger and longer than the original shape.

So, I went to work changing the shape.  I could fix the buttocks OK but even with the sliders maxed out at 100 I couldn't get past that swimmer's body look.  It is a good body except for the ankle and wrist thing, but it definitely isn't "fitted" to go over the shape underneath. 

Perhaps that will change some over time as testers put forth their comments. It is still the best male body on the grid IMHO, but it isn't really "fitted" as we would expect it to be. 

And thanks for making that comment as I really wanted to say this but didn't want to start a new thread LOL.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The major mesh bodies on the market allow you to use your default head with the new body. Meanwhile, most new mesh heads use the new Bento bones which allow a certain range of slider adjustment, although you won't be able to exactly match your current head.

The problem with using a mesh body with a legacy (non-mesh) head is that even with a skin applier for both body and to wear underneath (hence on a legacy head) the neck seam doesn't match because of the difference in mesh and how the light hits. So if you are picky or do photos and NEED to be picky, they you really do need mesh body plus mesh head, plus good applier that will work on both brands -- and often now that means an Omega Relay for one or both. It DOES get complex. :D

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Fitted mesh bodies respond to edits to your worn shape in the same way that the classic avatar body does.

Thank you, Whirly.  I am still unsophisticated in these things, and the landscape keeps changing.  What it really comes down to is that I have spent ten years tweaking an avatar that I feel comfortable with, who looks like the ME I feel like.  I really resent having designers tell me what I should look like, instead of letting me adjust their products, in either RL or SL.  If fitted mesh is approaching that ideal, I may learn to be more relaxed with it.  I'm in no hurry to change until I'm good and ready.  :) I suspect that @Amalia Broome and many of our fellow "old-timers" feel the same way.

Edited by Rolig Loon

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

Thank you, Whirly.  I am still unsophisticated in these things, and the landscape keeps changing. What it really comes down to is that I have spent ten years tweaking an avatar that I feel comfortable with, who looks like the ME I feel like.

Well, there's your problem. You really shouldn't be wearing landscape. Try clothing.

21 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Booooring.  I thought you were an outdoorsy type.  Where's your sense of adventure? 

If I were really the outdoorsy type, I wouldn't be questioning your wearing of landscape in SL, I'd be outdoors.

But you have a point, wearing landscaping does seem the sort of thing I should do.

On 5/18/2017 at 2:05 PM, Rolig Loon said:

I sympathize.  I do like the look of many of the new mesh avatars, but they have one major drawback.  You can't change their shape the way we could with the classic avatar body.  You have to accept some creator's idea of what you should look like.  If you don't want your butt to be quite so big or your boobs exactly the size that the creator made them, you're out of luck.  I have spent my whole life in RL putting up with designers' ideas of what shape I ought to be.  When I came to SL, I was overjoyed to find that I could be any shape I wanted, and I could tweak clothing to fit me instead of the other way around.  Now, if I wear a mesh body, I have to accept someone else's design shape again. If I wear mesh clothing on my classic body, I have to hide my body with an alpha mask and accept the creator's idea of what my body should look like.  It's RL all over again, and I share your disappointment, Amalia.

You can edit your shape in a mesh body the same way that you can with a legacy avatar. What you're referring to is standardized sizing. When mesh clothing first came out (pre-mesh bodies) we had to deal with altering our shape to conform with a standard size so that clothing fit well and or looked appropriate. It was a trade-off and sort of a transition period.With a mesh body you don't have to deal with with any of that. You can now create the shape you want and the rigged clothing will conform to your shape.

@Madelaine McMasters Bento heads allow you to alter the shape of your face with sliders the same way you would alter the shape of your non mesh head. Each head is unique though. While all heads can be modified, each head has structural traits that make it unique to that model. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.