(System Requirements) Can anyone check this

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

... and let me know how the following specs would run second life?

• 3.4GHz Intel Core i7-6700 quad-core processor
  • 8GB DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM, expandable to 64GB
  • 1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
  • 256GB SATA solid-state drive
  • SuperMulti DVD drive
  • 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth 4.2 wireless technology
  • AMD Radeon RX 480 graphics with 4GB GDDR5 memory
  • 7-in-1 memory card slot

Thanks in advance!!

That system should run SL pretty well with all the graphics bells & whistles enabled (shadows + ambient occlusion).
I have the same processor & SL barely puts a dent in it - SL viewers are pretty CPU bound.

As for the graphics card, if this is a system you are considering purchasing, that card should cope with SL just fine but you may want to consider an Nvidia card instead.
In general AMD graphics drivers have more problems with Second Life then Nvidia graphics drivers, though this has improved somewhat of late.

• Like 1

Thank you Whirly for looking over my post so quickly! I found another option with an Nvidia card. Would this lineup be sufficient for sl graphics as well? 

• Windows 10 operating system
  • 2.7GHz Intel Core i5-6400 quad-core processor with 6MB cache, up to 3.3GHz
  • 8GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 graphics with 4GB GDDR5 graphics memory

This may be a useful comparison between those two graphics cards although I wouldn't take the prices (nor "value") comparisons literally because the nVidia card is quite a bit older than the AMD, so it was pricey back then to get that kind of performance. The comparable current nVidia model is probably the GTX 1060 if you were assembling the machine from scratch.

Either way, I think you'll be pretty amazed at how great SL looks when you can walk around with advanced lighting and full shadows enabled all lthe time.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, the CPUs. Well, here's a comparison, although I think it slightly overstates the i7's advantage for SL (because I don't think the extra, hyperthreaded cores get much use with SL) although the clock speed difference will be noticeable: the i7 is faster, just not night-and-day faster.

Edited by Qie Niangao

22 hours ago, Bridget Boissel said:

Thank you Whirly for looking over my post so quickly! I found another option with an Nvidia card. Would this lineup be sufficient for sl graphics as well? 

• Windows 10 operating system
  • 2.7GHz Intel Core i5-6400 quad-core processor with 6MB cache, up to 3.3GHz
  • 8GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 graphics with 4GB GDDR5 graphics memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 should be fine.
If you can get a similar system with an in i7 processor though, do it.

If you want to use this system on newer platform like sansar i would rethink the graphics card. nvidia is perfect, but 970 is is the lowest card the recommend for VR. but also in desktop mode am not sure. i have gf980. But it looks like a gf1070 is the same price as gf970. best is GF1080 ?

Right now not have tables in range. but i would advise todo a bit more research in graphics cards. better spend 100$ more now then 400$ later.

Btw on my I7 with gf980 i cannot say secondlife runs good, the movement is never super smooth. Except on more empty sims where the framerate is at least 60fps. . The technology is to old that i do not get 144fps clientside , also the server is stuck at 45fps, that's tech limit. New platform like high fidelity is more smooth for me.

4 hours ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

Btw on my I7 with gf980 i cannot say secondlife runs good, the movement is never super smooth. Except on more empty sims where the framerate is at least 60fps. . The technology is to old that i do not get 144fps clientside , also the server is stuck at 45fps, that's tech limit. New platform like high fidelity is more smooth for me.

i'm on a gtx 970  and SL runs great/fine on it... think you will have to look at other factors causing you to have less performance..

and : everything above 27 fps runs normally quite smooth .. it's the point where your eyes start seeing things as fluent and not individual. People who claim to see the difference between 45 and up simply dont tell the truth, it's only measurable with special equipment, not the human eye.

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i'm on a gtx 970  and SL runs great/fine on it... think you will have to look at other factors causing you to have less performance..

and : everything above 27 fps runs normally quite smooth .. it's the point where your eyes start seeing things as fluent and not individual.

And there's the problem. on some places it's easy to spot in secondlife that things are not fluent when you rotate left or right. secondlife cannot generate the correct framerate. anyway 27fps is not really high. yes i can spot faster flickring or shimmer in lamps to.  and how higher the monitor refreshrate is. it get only worse. It's pure secondlife and how things are implemented in the viewer. Oh, the secondlife viewer would be better in smoothness. sadly it's complete  terrible one to use still. so i use firestorm

Still valid to point at that you buy old card that need to sweat on modern platforms. in case the person want to use that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.