Multiple Duplicate Landmarks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Alrighty - I don't know if this is the forum to ask, so if someone points me in the right direction, I'll repost it there.

I'm a new old player who hasn't been in SL for a good 5yrs so I'm learning, relearning and unlearning.  When I check my Landmarks there are multiples of the same place and plenty of places that no longer exist or have moved from the landmark site.  Is there a way to strip these bad landmarks from my list?

I will say, looking at my Friends List is both nostalgic and sad since not a single one of them is in SL anymore.....  Most of us left during a time of Linden Labs upheavel.  I even know a couple of people who lost RL money and one who had to declare bankruptcy back then.  I don't have the heart to even try to remove them at this point.

Thanks!

Landmarks ... nothing quick and easy but here are a few tips to help.

• You can turn on inventory filters and display land marks only.
  • Move them all into a single folder.  This makes it easier to find all the duplicates and delete them
  • Open a landmark but do not TP.  If the LM is blank with a big ? for the graphic that location no longer exists.
  • At that point you can start TPing to any remaining landmarks and seeing if you arrive where you thought you would.

After a 5 year absence you might find it easier to deleted them all and use search to find what is still here. :(

• Like 3

Great suggestion Rhonda. That's exactly how I initially got rid of my duplicates. :D

After being away for 5-years you're going to notice a lot of those vendors are no longer around or have moved elsewhere. I cycle through mine periodically and there's always multiple brands that have moved. I also don't generally keep the LM in the contents folder of the item I purchased. I delete that.

• Like 1

Right clicking was the first thing I tried and it didn't seem to work, but I can try it again.

Rhonda, that sound like it could work.  I know there are some still around because I've found them on the Marketplace (gads I miss Simone! - and Simone).  I'll take your info and give it a try.

Does anyone know why or how duplicate landmarks even happen?  With my new character, I took her to New Dove and after (finally) opening up all of the boxes I had multiple landmarks so I do wonder if it's because some of the boxes were from the same sellers.  You would think the system could block duplicate landmarks, though.  Oh, yeah - what am I thinking.... haha!

• Like 1

Duplicates can happen from a variety of ways. You might have one that you saved. Generally a landmark is included inside the contents of your purchase. A lot of stores offer a landmark upon landing or entering the store. So if you accept it and you already had one—now you have two. Group notices would be another ... Those are just a few but there's more.

Just like the general organization of your inventory. Once you get it under control and you stay on top of it then it really isn't much of an issue.

A Marketplace presence only tells you that the creator has a Marketplace presence. I know of a few who've sadly passed on, others who couldn't afford tier or the time required to manage an inworld store. Some of those seem to have left SL altogether (without taking the MP store down), others come and go depending on RL.

Better to check the creator's profile inworld - how ancient are the pic landmarks and groups? - and last log-in dates via the store group. We've had several big changes, like the introduction of mesh, which increased the number of creators starting over with a new store name. Was that five years ago? I can't remember.

Sometimes you can find out what an old fav is up to now by asking in a large shopping-oriented group. If you ask about Simone! though you might just hear ad nauseum about the mesh head of that name. :)

Welcome back by the way.

When you find an out-of-date LM, are you doing an inventory search on its name? That might help you get rid of a few more.

• Like 1

I was going to suggest that too Bitsy [searching for places you have names for]. Many shop owners may still be inworld but moved to different location. One particular designer I follow now apologies to me when she changes location [she has done it so many times].  

I would @Fionne Burleigh, delete any duplicates and check out the remaining one. 

A thing I do also, is to make notes [at the bottom of the TP info, like cost to join group or what Ive found there of interest.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2554 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.