Crashing when at certain land and TPing issues?

Annika Velde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place and I feel it could possibly be my hardware but here goes:

I have been trying to TP to my friend's land to help her with setting up a house. Upon arriving there, I am able to rezz momentarily but soon after I crash. I do not have this issue on any other land and she is running just fine there. 

Second issue, when i try to TP from my own land to any other sim, I get stuck in the tp and have to relog. 

Any idea of settings, graphics card issues, or server problems that could be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Edited by Annika Velde

16 answers to this question

On the TP issue you have eliminated the common problems. If you and a friend can TP from the same region to your friends place and have the same experience, then it is something on the Lab's side. File a BUG REPORT. PRovide logs, times, and lots of specific information about the problem.

If the two of you have different experiences, then it is likely on your side. I suggest two of you try and do it together. Timing is often a key factor in what is going on.

You can also look in the viewer log.

. The viewer has various log files you can read to get an idea of what has gone wrong. Look at the log immediately after you crash or exit the viewer. Logs are replaced the next time a viewers starts. You’ll find the logs in:

C:\Users\[Win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\

·         crashreport.log – This log is generated when the viewer crashes, the previous version of the file is overwritten. Rename this file if you plan to restart the viewer before examining the file. Otherwise, just read it with a text viewer (Notepad is good).

·         debug_info.log – This file is internally formatted as an XML file. I never find it of much use. It is mostly the specs of your machine.

·         SecondLife.log – This is the main log file. I find it the most useful. Start from the end of the file and work toward the beginning. Search for ‘WARNING’ and ‘ERROR’. With any luck the messages there will give you an idea of the problem. Recent changes have added section heading to parts of the file that can identify the general nature of the problem. There are lots of performance stats included.  At the end of a non-crash log there are secession stats;  Run Time, Average Packet Size, Dropped Packets, Resent Packets, etc. The file is replaced and recreated for each viewer secession.

·         SecondLife.error_marker – I don’t know what information is inside. I don’t have a copy to examine as I write this.  The presence of the file indicates where, when, and what error happened. I think this is a disaster backup file for crash reporting in which information about the crash is retained in the event the crash handlers are destroyed before they can create the other more complete crash files.

·          SecondLife.start_marker – There is no information inside. The presence of the file indicates how far into the start process the viewer has gotten. Whether the file exists or not is the pertinent information.

·          SecondLifeCrashReport.log – This is another file internally formatted to XML.  It is created when the viewer crashes. I think this is the new version of the crash log. It is mostly text.

·          stats.log – This is a short file containing network statistics. Similar information is in other log files. It is an easy to read set of stats that show how many packets were dropped and resent in a secession.

I find the SecondLife.log is the most useful file for tuning and troubleshooting the viewer. It is verbose and reasonably easy to understand. There is a Debug Setting that allows you to increase or decrease the level of reporting.

Most of these files are erased when the viewer starts. If you plan to send the files in with a trouble ticket or bug report, place copies in another folder before starting the viewer.

Marker files are temporary and may or may not exist at any given time.

Entries in the files associated with errors and warnings are labeled as such. That makes them easy to find by searching. Warning entries are common and do NOT necessarily mean there is a problem. Some warnings are a part of normal operation. Some errors are trivial and do not indicate a ‘noticeable’ problem in the viewer’s operation.

54 minutes ago, Annika Velde said:

[ .... ]

Additionally, when i try to TP from my own land to any other sim, I get stuck in the tp and have to relog. 

[ .... ]

That's almost certainly a connection problem on your end.  Teleporting is a stressful process.  It involves passing all the information about your av (it's capabilities) and its current position and velocity from one region's set of servers to another.  If your Internet connection isn't reliable and strong, you can get lost in that transfer.  Bandwidth is not usually a problem, but stability is.  Avoid using a wifi connection if you can.  Use a cable or DSL connection instead.  Reboot both your router and your modem.  You may find that it's easier to TP if you fly up to 1000m or so first, or if you TP to a quiet mainland region like Smith first. 

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's almost certainly a connection problem on your end.  Teleporting is a stressful process.  It involves passing all the information about your av (it's capabilities) and its current position and velocity from one region's set of servers to another.  If your Internet connection isn't reliable and strong, you can get lost in that transfer.  Bandwidth is not usually a problem, but stability is.  Avoid using a wifi connection if you can.  Use a cable or DSL connection instead.  Reboot both your router and your modem.  You may find that it's easier to TP if you fly up to 1000m or so first, or if you TP to a quiet mainland region like Smith first. 

Its only happening from the sim I rent a parcel on. I have not been able to TP to an empty sim (I use Aich) and my connection is at a constant 50mbps. I have considered connection being an issue but i can TP just fine everywhere else.

Edited by Annika Velde
Also, i have a skybox at 3000M to cut down on lag.

As I said, bandwidth is rarely an issue.  Your 50mbps is way more than you need for SL anyway.  It's a matter of reliability -- a matter of whether your connection loses packets of data or has spikes of long ping time, so that packets arrive out of sync. If you have otehr programs running on your machine, possibly using the Internet at the same time, that could add to the problem.  Because teleporting is a stressful process, if you are working with a flaky connection and then encounter a particular TP event that is a little more stressful than usual, you may disconnect.  It happens, and can be quite random.

Again, my connection is not the issue I assure you. SL is not the only game I play and I am not the only gamer in my house so 50mbps works just fine for me. My PC is wired directly to my gateway. It is odd to me that I only have this problem TPing from one SIM only. This is why it does not seem like a connection problem. I would assume that it would effect more than one place that I am trying to TP from if it were a connection issue. However, as stated, this is isolated to my parcel only.

This doesn't sound like a connection problem to me considering you've had no issues teleporting elsewhere. Out of curiosity what are the specs of your pc or laptop? What settings is your graphics settings on in SL? My old video card used to over heat and it would cause my viewer to crash and even now if I go to a gatcha sim I crash but never anywhere else. Also which viewer are you using?

Annika, Rolig is right about connection issues often being the problem... even the primary cause. But, connection issues are not the only cause. So, make sure your connection to the SL servers is good. Having a good Internet connection does not mean you have a good connection to the SL servers. Having a good connection to one SL server does not mean you have the same quality connection to all SL servers. Generally if you are good to one you are good to all so, don't over test until you are REALLY desperate.

When you next TP leave the viewer stats panel open. Watch your Packet Loss numbers.

Another cause of TP problems is the number of scripts and attachments you are wearing. Scripts are the usual problem. If you have a lot of scripts using a lot of memory you likely will have TP problems. Firestorm has a built in script counter and you can get free ones in the marketplace. Most consider 3MB the limit not to exceed. Less is better.

High ACI can be a problem, but it has to be REALLY REALLY high. Like >900k but, depending on your computer and connection possibly lower. So, what you are wearing can be a problem but, it is more likely the scripts in what you are wearing.

If you have changed your ACI to UNLMTED (Jelly Dolls) change that. If you crash in only some places, there may be some item too complex for your video card. Griefers like to scatter those things around to crash users.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, JungUKnow said:

This doesn't sound like a connection problem to me considering you've had no issues teleporting elsewhere. Out of curiosity what are the specs of your pc or laptop? What settings is your graphics settings on in SL? My old video card used to over heat and it would cause my viewer to crash and even now if I go to a gatcha sim I crash but never anywhere else. Also which viewer are you using?

I do not have access to my computer right now because I am at work but I have a Nvidia GTX 970 graphics card, an AMD 8 core fx pro black edition, 16GB of memory. Which is more than enough to handle SL. Because I know SL to be a computer eater, I leave my settings at Mid-High. I use Firestorm but also tried the official SL viewer and I'm having the same issues. 

18 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I keep my ACI at around 200K or lower and also consistently use the "See friends only option" as I attend a lot of shopping events. As far as scripting goes, I try to stay on top of my scripts with a script counter I have and I am not usually using very many. I have also tried logging into an empty sim (Aich) and cleared all cache in case that could be confusing my system in anyway.

Like i've stated, connection would seem like the problem to me if it was happening in other areas as well. My friends and I explore quite a bit by map hopping and the only place I have had this issue is on my parcel. It would seem more likely that it is something other than connection at this point as its isolated to one sim not many.

Question nobody seems to have asked, and which is definately relevant to TP problems, especially in older accounts... How many items in your inventory, anything over 100k-150k items, and you will likely start suffering tp-crash.

I have to disagree with Klytyna. Large inventories will affect login time and can cause login issues and in sever cases block login. Generally if inventory is organized into many folders with few items the problems are reduced. Folders with more than 5k items are a problem, especially with a weak connection. Divide things amoung folders to have less items per folder. Generally, even on a weak connection the system can handle up to about 5k items per folder. But, once logged in and the inventory list has downloaded, it shouldn't affect teleports. Trying to teleport before it downloads completely can cause inventory problems but, the teleport succeeds.

Inventory is a list in a file on the viewer. At login that list is refreshed from the Linden servers. As I understand the simulators (region servers) hand off the inventory fetch to other backend servers. During the rest of the secession the viewer uses local files. The simulator doesn't care how big your inventory is as it doesn't have to deal with it.

The inventory list is a list of item names and UUID's. A mesh hat is in the inventory list as name-UUID. I've forgotten the entry length. I think it is <=256 bytes. The mesh and textures for the hat live in the asset servers. When you wear the hat the region server notes the UUID you are wearing, sends it off to the asset servers with your avatar process info, and hands the UUID out to other users. The region is done with it. Your viewer downloads a copy of the hat and its textures and handles the render.

When teleporting what you are wearing has to be relayed to the sim you arrive in as a set of UUID's. It then will tell other users what your avatar looks like so they can render you. THe ACI and script load are the factors that complicate TP as scripts and their memory have to be moved from the departed sim to the arrival sim. Even the amount (poly count) of mesh you wear is not a significant factor as the simulator does not have to deal with it. All it needs to know is the items UUID, which it hands out to other avatars/users. Again the mesh download is handled by the asset servers and the CDN system.

Riding in a vehicle creates the most complicated region transfer. All the avatar information and vehicle information, script status, speed, direction, etc have to transfer then all that info has to be disseminated to all other users in the region. If you have a region performance meter, you can watch performance dip when an avatars comes into a region.

• Like 1

UPDATE: The crashing issue was on my side. My graphics card needed drivers updated. Since I have updated, i have been TPing to her land just fine.

As for TPing from my land, this has also been resolved with the SIM being reset.

Thank you all who responded.

23 minutes ago, Annika Velde said:

Since I have updated, i have been TPing to her land just fine.

As for TPing from my land, this has also been resolved with the SIM being reset.

i think the solution was indeed in the lines here... your update made you reboot everything. and the sim also rebooted..

it's very very very rarely a driver only prevents tp's( could say never) ... i stay at the reason: connection. As often told, speed means not much for sl.. quality is.

22 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

The driver was the crashing issue not the TP issue. I think everyone is confusing the 2 issues as one in the same. They were 2 separate issues.

Issue 1: I would crash when i landed at my friends land.

Issue 2: I could not TP from ONLY MY LAND as i would get stuck in the TP.

Anyway, its moot at this point because both have been resolved and I have stated multiple times that I know it is not my connection for a fact.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.