Is SL in a good state financially

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Honestly, I love Second Life. Never has there really been a game where you can just be what you want, when you want. You can create various things, customize how you look in any way, interact with the community, whether it'd be a fandom or random group of people. There is role-playing, which is probably my favorite thing about SL. A ton of sims to explore and much more. But...like all online games, they don't last forever. Which brings me to the point of the topic. Is Second Life in a good financial state right now? Is Linden Labs having bankruptcy issues? How much longer do you think Second Life will last until it's inevitable end?

As much as I'd like for the game to not die, it's end will unfortunately come at some point. 

All games come to an end. I have no idea to the specifics of your answer but I hear this question over and over with every online game.

Hopefully someone has some specifics but personally I'll just enjoy the game while it lasts. I don't even care if I spend money and it closes. I accept the end of every game is inevitable. 

Disclaimer: substitute the words play and game with whatever your heart desires. 

• Like 1

Linden Lab has repeatedly stated officially that they are making a tidy profit and that that profit is in many ways supporting the new platform. So I won't worry about solvency. 

Things can always change of course and concurrency and land stats are definitely down since the big boom of many years ago. Still, there are tons of folks doing lots of things and enjoying themselves. It is still the place to be for this type of virtual world. 

• Like 3

I don't think anyone here could rightfully predict when Second Life will come to an end. The naysayers of course have their opinion. According to them, the platform has either died or has been dying. The reality is that the future of Second Life is largely dependent upon the community itself. As long as enough people continue to login and spend Lindens—then from a profitability perspective there is a financial reason to keep the service running. To Chic's point SL is still profitable and its producing enough income to support the development of Sensar. That speaks volumes considering the age of the platform. So death isn't upon us tomorrow.

Unlike an MMO—the content we experience is not generated by the devs, it is community made. The only thing they do is provide us the tools to expand the things we can create and that is just one of the things that has allowed the platform to do so well.

No, SL is not ion a good state.  They are in California! 

The last I saw about Linden Lab was appointment of a new board member.  Historically LL has grossed 75 to 100 million USD per year with it's sole source of income being Second Life.  While 100MM gross leaves us to guess at costs and net income/loss, it is at least enough to cover payroll and fund a new project.

As far as "all games will end" I guess that is true.  However not all have the same life span.  Ultima Online is celebrating their 20th year of gaming.

6 hours ago, Chase01 said:

I don't think anyone here could rightfully predict when Second Life will come to an end. The naysayers of course have their opinion. According to them, the platform has either died or has been dying.

Second Life is certainly dying in the sense that it's well and truly past its peak and there are no signs whatsoever of any revitalization. But it's a very slow decline so there's no reason to believe it'll vanish completely anytime soon. Expect it to last for at least another five years, probably ten or more.

As for finances, a grid based virtual reality is amazingly scaleable. You can expand it to a size more than half that of the Real World earth or shrink it down to a single sim and the running cost depends on size. So as long as somebody is willing to pay LL to host a sim or two, there is no real reason for them to shut SL down.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

As far as "all games will end" I guess that is true.  However not all have the same life span.  Ultima Online is celebrating their 20th year of gaming.

Good point. I didn't mean to infer that there aren't some games that haven't been around for ages, but yeah -- Second Life could be around for 20, 30 years. I guess in my mind, all I'm saying is that even the longest lasting games are going to eventually close their doors. 

Considering that LL spent an unknown amount of time on Bento (improve the bone structure of avatars), and that they did so in light of a future release of whatever Project Sansar is, it seems to be in good shape. People are still using it, people are still paying for land, people are still buying Lindens, and people are still logging in. While I agree that there is no permanence when it comes to online games, the difference here is that we always have OpenSIm to fall back on. While the content will likely be lost, a content creator need only join another grid and upload there, which is something already being done. This is a stark contrast to most other games, which have proprietary server software that make continued play after the offiial servers stop almost impossible, but we're even seeing that start to change.

Will SL be around forever? No. Will it be around next year? It looks like it. And when it goes away, will players have a way to continue using something very similar? Absolutely.

15 hours ago, GenesisSonikku said:

Honestly, I love Second Life. Never has there really been a game where you can just be what you want, when you want. You can create various things, customize how you look in any way, interact with the community, whether it'd be a fandom or random group of people. There is role-playing, which is probably my favorite thing about SL. A ton of sims to explore and much more. But...like all online games, they don't last forever. Which brings me to the point of the topic. Is Second Life in a good financial state right now? Is Linden Labs having bankruptcy issues? How much longer do you think Second Life will last until it's inevitable end?

As much as I'd like for the game to not die, it's end will unfortunately come at some point. 

Linden is in a good financial state from anything we've seen, and they intend to keep Second Life around for years yet. I see no indications of that changing.

There are other, similarly long-lived things, such as EverQuest or even WoW at this point.

Let's not also forget that while population counts have gone down over the last several years (which is to be expected considering the age of the platform) traffic numbers alone aren't always necessarily a great gauge in their own right.

Although it disappoints that the game won't last forever, I do appreciate all of your answers about my questions regarding financial issues. 

I do hope the game lasts for another 20 or 30 years or so. I even have plans to start my own sim. 

Edited by GenesisSonikku

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.