New Avatar Bodies

Narnella

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

54 minutes ago, JenniferAnneSL said:

Thanks to all.  I have done some reading.  The question involves what shape should I start with.  For example, I have read that tonic or ebody are very good. But most think Maderia (sp) is the way to go. Look, My RL body is pretty decent (I think).  But pregnancies, nursing, gravity have taken something of a toll on my boobs (not massive) and my tummy.   Gravity has also played with my ass. Still, I am who I am and I want to experience SL as I am.  Please do not be condescending or think I am not willing to put in some work.  I also understand there is some cost.  I am not coming into this blindly.I am merely asking for help and insight. I do not want to spend a lot of time only to change who and what I am and how I appear in the sim.

I didn't mean to be condescending. Your post gave very little details other than that you are very new and want a suitable shape. Newcomers can often feel overwhelmed with talk of mesh bodies and even more overwhelmed when they get one. Since a mesh body is basically just a cover for a standard body, experience in dealing with standard bodies is (in my opinion) essential. Many people find that they don't really need a mesh body at all. In your case, and forgive me if I'm not reading you right, it seems you are looking for a body that reflects the shapes of a real mother. The standard body can be adjusted to that quite well; the popular mesh bodies tend to be aimed at the perky late-teenager look.

In any event, you're asking for recommendations on mesh bodies. All the main mesh body designers offer free demo versions, which you can download and play with all you like, and get an idea of which one suits your taste best. As you mentioned, Maitreya Lara is the current market leader, with Slink and Belleza next, and others like Tonic and Eve popular too. The website meshbodyaddicts.com is regarded as the leading site for mesh body reviews.

Edited by angeoco

I have a Niramyth body as well as a TMP body. I rarely wear the latter as it is for photos and in general and  I do not like to take photos of me that actually look like me. It is very difficult, I find, to mod the TMP body so that it is tall enough without much distortion. Yes, I am one of those seven and a half foot tall fellows.

Friends of mine have the Signature and it seems there are more alpha slices for the HUD than with some mesh bodies so more clothes can be worn. That being said, there are fewer clothes, it seems, specifically for that body.  The head blender that comes with the Signature seems to be the best around, with no seam at all. 

The Niramyth CAN be made to look less goonish if one plays about with the underlying shape, and if one tends to go about more clothed than unclothed, seems to be the least expensive option. However, color matching one's head to that body takes quite some time, and most end up looking too grey or orange. The mesh head that comes standard with the Niramyth is very simian in appearance and while there are appliers to change the face, the simian or angry frowning quality to them remains.

Regardless of which brand of mesh head one wears or which skin, there is a sameness to mesh heads. When one can tell what brand of head a person is wearing, that says lack of variety to me. It reminds me of how, a few years ago before the advent of mesh bodies, the Tyler skin by Redgrave was so popular with fellows. I would go someplace where my partner was DJing and half the fellows would be wearing that same skin and the hair that goes with it.

13 hours ago, JenniferAnneSL said:

I am very new...I am female and I am trying to find the best body/shape for me.  The goal is to be able to conform the shape that gets closest to me in RL. Any suggestions? 

The responses to your question got onto mesh bodies, which, imo, was a mistake. Forget mesh bodies. They are irrelevant to you for a while. You didn't ask about them, and it's probably confused you. I want to start at the beginning for you...

When I came into SL over 10 years ago, a long time before mesh came along, I really was a bit confused about the body and shape, so I'll start there. The shape is something you can't see. It is only a load of numbers that tells the system the shape to draw the skin. Together they are the body. But a shape is essential. An avatar cannot exist without those numbers, just as it can't exist without a skin so that the avatar can actually be seen. So you already have a shape, and you already have a skin to draw in that shape. That's the skin on the avatar shape that you chose when you signed up. You can change it and pick another one if you like, but the shape you already have is the only one you need to do anything with.

Inside SL, if you click on your avatar and select Edit My Shape, a box will open, in which you can change a lot of things about your shape. That's what has already been mentioned. Before you do anything about buying, strip your clothes off and go into Edit My Shape. Your skin will still show - you have to have a skin on - and you can experiment and play in the Edit Shape box. That way, you will understand what's been said here. When you've adjusted your shape, you can save it and call whatever you want - Myshape, or My first shape, or whatever. And you can have it on all the time while you try skins and clothes, etc.

Still not talking about mesh bodies, you can buy shapes, together with skins, but, if you buy a shape, you're only buying the numbers that you can create for yourself.

Mesh came in a few years ago, and mesh bodies appeared. They don't come as shape and skin. They come complete. They literally cover up your existing body, as I learned in this very thread. (I only became interested is mesh bodies a week or so ago). You can edit/adjust your shape with them, as has been said but, for now, forget they exist and experiment with the shape you have. When you are reasonably familiar with what you can do with your shape, then consider a mesh body if you fancy one. That has also been suggested here.

I hope that understanding what a shape, skin and body actually are will help you to progress with your avatar. It's understanding what a shape actually is, and knowing how to change it into the shape you want for yourself, that I think is important for you. And it doesn't involve the mesh bodies that can be bought and have been mentioned.

So, to sum up, don't try to find a "body/shape" to buy. You probably couldn't find one that gets close to the RL you, anyway. Just edit your existing shape so that your body looks as close to the RL you as possible.

Edited by Phil Deakins
addition

50 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

The responses to your question got onto mesh bodies, which, imo, was a mistake. Forget mesh bodies. They are irrelevant to you for a while. You didn't ask about them, and it's probably confused you. I want to start at the beginning for you...

When I came into SL over 10 years ago, a long time before mesh came along, I really was a bit confused about the body and shape, so I'll start there. The shape is something you can't see. It is only a load of numbers that tells the system the shape to draw the skin. Together they are the body. But a shape is essential. An avatar cannot exist without those numbers, just as it can't exist without a skin so that the avatar can actually be seen. So you already have a shape, and you already have a skin to draw in that shape. That's the skin on the avatar shape that you chose when you signed up. You can change it and pick another one if you like, but the shape you already have is the only one you need to do anything with.

Inside SL, if you click on your avatar and select Edit My Shape, a box will open, in which you can change a lot of things about your shape. That's what has already been mentioned. Before you do anything about buying, strip your clothes off and go into Edit My Shape. Your skin will still show - you have to have a skin on - and you can experiment and play in the Edit Shape box. That way, you will understand what's been said here. When you've adjusted your shape, you can save it and call whatever you want - Myshape, or My first shape, or whatever. And you can have it on all the time while you try skins and clothes, etc.

Still not talking about mesh bodies, you can buy shapes, together with skins, but, if you buy a shape, you're only buying the numbers that you can create for yourself.

Mesh came in a few years ago, and mesh bodies appeared. They don't come as shape and skin. They come complete. They literally cover up your existing body, as I learned in this very thread. (I only became interested is mesh bodies a week or so ago). You can edit/adjust your shape with them, as has been said but, for now, forget they exist and experiment with the shape you have. When you are reasonably familiar with what you can do with your shape, then consider a mesh body if you fancy one. That has also been suggested here.

I hope that understanding what a shape, skin and body actually are will help you to progress with your avatar. It's understanding what a shape actually is, and knowing how to change it into the shape you want for yourself, that I think is important for you. And it doesn't involve the mesh bodies that can be bought and have been mentioned.

Thanks.  For those who asked, I am an average wife/mom reasonably attractive, broad shouldered tall (5 9/10, fit, weight appropriate (bit of a tummy and could be firmer) with good legs and the sag that I had mentioned c cup.   I know too much info.    I have been "playing around" with editing my appearance (shape) using the avatar I selected, which was the classic "Elizabeth" since it has the initial appearance of being a female in early 30's like I am.  However I am trying to edit the appearance like mine to be closer to my actual size and shape and possessing some of the "flaws" that I mentioned earlier.   I am not perfect, don't want to be and don't want my avatar to appear to be for the reasons I mentioned.  The various "skins" I have seen I think are meant to put over the shape, but they seem almost too fine, too perfect and do not seem reasonable unless one is a model or beauty queen....too thin to in the face. I did have the impression that these mesh bodies fit over the appearance that I created and allowed me to further refine the shape to be more real and thus more acceptable to me.  From your description, it appears that is not true and that I would need to start over. is that the case?

4 minutes ago, JenniferAnneSL said:

I did have the impression that these mesh bodies fit over the appearance that I created and allowed me to further refine the shape to be more real and thus more acceptable to me.  From your description, it appears that is not true and that I would need to start over. is that the case?

People who are much more familiar with mesh body and heads will be able answer that much better than me. I'm new to mesh avatars. However, mesh bodies don't "fit over" your existing body/shape as such. They put an alpha mask on the existing body, which makes it invisible. Then they add the body itself to the now invisible body. So it doesn't seem to me that one would fit the shape you created, so that you can make further changes; i.e. edit it beyond what was initially possible. That's the way I've understood it, anyway. In fact I'm sure of it. The mesh body that I bought the other day had a waist that was much too slim, which means that it did not "fit over" my existing shape, which has a thicker waist. But, as i said, there are plenty of people here who are very familair with mesh, and who can answer your question much better than I can. I just wanted to make sure that you understood exactly what a shape is, because that's what you asked about, and I thought that all the talk about mesh bodies would confuse you :)

Ok. I kept my legacy head, and the neck looks peculiar in the pics. The hair makes the top of the neck seem very narrow, but it isn't. What is surprising is that the join can be easily seen. It looked much better than that when I did it. I used the neck bit that's provided with the Adam body, that smooths the join. I need to do some more work on it :)  Unfortunately for the pics, the ends of the hair and the join line up, making it look particularly bad.

Phil-Deakins-mesh-1.thumb.jpg.cc681f395cc655722e0eeb4b9e13af59.jpgPhil-Deakins-mesh-2.thumb.jpg.ff2eac1aa740f5f58cabdc184d29c328.jpg

Phil-Deakins-neck-join.jpg.7d4ec024441cc707e29d6f92a1927139.jpg

I don't have much in the way of clothes for it yet. I bought a few pullovers, and I have the bits that came with the body (blue jeans, red boxers, shoes, and t-shirt). I'm still getting the hang of things. The good thing is that the feet and hands were included.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JenniferAnneSL said:

Thanks.  For those who asked, I am an average wife/mom reasonably attractive, broad shouldered tall (5 9/10, fit, weight appropriate (bit of a tummy and could be firmer) with good legs and the sag that I had mentioned c cup.   I know too much info.    I have been "playing around" with editing my appearance (shape) using the avatar I selected, which was the classic "Elizabeth" since it has the initial appearance of being a female in early 30's like I am.  However I am trying to edit the appearance like mine to be closer to my actual size and shape and possessing some of the "flaws" that I mentioned earlier.   I am not perfect, don't want to be and don't want my avatar to appear to be for the reasons I mentioned.  The various "skins" I have seen I think are meant to put over the shape, but they seem almost too fine, too perfect and do not seem reasonable unless one is a model or beauty queen....too thin to in the face. I did have the impression that these mesh bodies fit over the appearance that I created and allowed me to further refine the shape to be more real and thus more acceptable to me.  From your description, it appears that is not true and that I would need to start over. is that the case?

Second life creators has always sold most of the "supermodel in early 20's" look for females, and the tall "gymaddict" look for the males. People often ask for different looks, but I don't think they shop enough to make it worth the time for the creators who will make money. Some make skins for roleplayers, but then it tips over in the 60 year olds, minimum.

One of the very few that makes female skins for mesh heads that don't look young, is YS & YS. I link to their Marketplace store. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/13353/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=mature

Most people use the default head with an age line tattoo layer worn over a skin. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Tintable-age-lines-wrinkles/5361867

Money. Getting into the mesh body market will cost you some, but you can work with the default shape from the "Elizabeth" avatar for free. As you can with any shape from the Library in your inventory. I would say that you shouldn't buy any mesh bodies or heads before you have tried a lot of demos. The mesh bodies can be adjusted to look more "real" because it is smoother. For what it is worth, I edited one of my avatars to try and make a more "real" look. I think I was happy with it, but looking back, the hands are a bit too small. This is an image from 2014, and so the mesh body here had a thin wrist as default.

I have not read back in the thread to see if the blog Mesh Body Addicts is linked here before, but I link it again. http://meshbodyaddicts.com/

Remember that the bodies shown in the reviews is not meant to have "flaws" but it is absolutely possible to make them so. I did have the impression that these mesh bodies fit over the appearance that I created and allowed me to further refine the shape to be more real and thus more acceptable to me.  From your description, it appears that is not true and that I would need to start over. is that the case? No, you don't have to start over, and you use the same shape as you have been working on. The demo bodies let you adjust the sliders, so you can see the result, will the body be as you want it or not? All bodies is sold with a shape, but just let it be. It is a shape made to satisfy the customers who want a model look. A tip, save some body versions as you edit them, so you can save shapes for the different body models. Use "save as" and name it so you find it again in your inventory.

15015217687_b0cd781bb7_z.jpg

Just a quick thought about how old avatars look. It may only be in the eye of the beholder (me) but I would say that the average female avatar doesn't look late teens/early 20s to me. Late 20s is common, imo, and I would think that by adjusting things on the head in the normal edit floater, early 30 may be achievable. I may be mistaken, but that's my guess. Perhaps not dressing like a teenager would help too.

Edited by Phil Deakins

I'd agree Phil. IMO a lot of skins give a late 20's look relatively easily but how someone dresses also effects how their age may be perceived to an extent as well. Unfortunately there is a serious lack of clothing that is trendy,youthful (non *****ty) and high quality,

On 3/27/2017 at 2:43 AM, angeoco said:

At the moment, the market leader (for female bodies) is Maitreya Lara, with Slink and Belleza next, and others like Tonic and Eve a bit behind, all of which are good-quality bodies. They all have demo versions available, so get demos of all the bodies that interest you and play with them. And be prepared to throw out half your existing clothes, as not only will the fit be different but some clothes ("painted-on" stuff like most underwear, as well as tattoos etc.) just will not work with any mesh body that they were not designed for.

Mesh bodies do make things a bit more complicated, but I reckon they're worth it.

It is worth noting that making tattoos for Maitreya Lara is really easy using the free kit from Maitreya.  I am no creator, but I made some one because it was one I had had for a long time and I wanted to continue wearing it.58e2da7d537aa_JensTat.jpg.bc478419e4c18c55eec939f0daa8a731.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

It is worth noting that making tattoos for Maitreya Lara is really easy using the free kit from Maitreya.  I am no creator, but I made some one because it was one I had had for a long time and I wanted to continue wearing it.

Oh, I must look into that, thanks!

8 hours ago, JenniferAnneSL said:

The various "skins" I have seen I think are meant to put over the shape, but they seem almost too fine, too perfect and do not seem reasonable unless one is a model or beauty queen....too thin to in the face.

I'm not really sure there are any skins with things like frown lines, forehead lines, crow's feet, etc... (other than maybe skins made for the "senior" look). However with some shopping around the major skin makers, and even perusing the marketplace, you can find some skins that don't look too youngish, especially when paired with more mature looking outfits. Unforunately, in SL, if you don't want to look like a young super perfect model, you do have to put in a little work finding/making it.

43 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

It is worth noting that making tattoos for Maitreya Lara is really easy using the free kit from Maitreya.  I am no creator, but I made some one because it was one I had had for a long time and I wanted to continue wearing it.

That is going to be true for any mesh body that has an applier system.

If you're shopping for a mesh body you should really demo all the choices rather than rely on what other people recommend. The differences will dictate what YOU look like for the foreseeable future so you really want to get the one that speaks to you.

If I had to give my opinion, for looks I like Belleza Freya, the new SalinA Tina, then new SalinA Alice, then Lena Lush Perky, Then Belleza Isis, Then Venus, then Maitreya, Then the original Slink, then the Slink Hourglass.

- Despite liking bodies that can go curvy, I only like the ones without extreme jagged curves.

- This is of course extremely subjective, and why you need to demo them ALL. And not just with the included shape nor even your own shape. Mess with the shape sliders and see what you can get.

If I rated these by how well they did 'avatar physics' they sort almost the same - except Belleza Isis and Belleza Venus rate with Freya, and all of the new SalinA's come right after, and Maitreya is dead last of them, but above all the ones I did not bother to list...

- You need to demo them all again here, with a very 'bouncy' physics and a super active dance pose (or a sex pose...), and again with a very 'firm' physics and the same poses. Some bodies that have looked really good to me in the past are not even on the lists here because I found such extreme issues with more 'bouncy' physics....

If I rated them for lag, the new SalinA gets the top marks, then Belleza, then Lena Lush that has beem modded to remove layers, then Maitreya, and an unmodded Lena Lush is so laggy it should not be worn.

If I rated them for customizability... SalinaA gets top marks - it's a moddable body. Then Lena Lush, also Moddable but you have to nearly 'destroy' all of its features when you mod it. Then Belleza because while no-mod, the HUD allows for so much. The rest are all about equal.

If I rated them for technical glitches... Belleza has the fewest, SalinA's new bodies have the most, everyone else is about the same.

Now if you rate them for fashions available...

Maitreya, Slink Hourglass, Belleza Freya, Slink Classic, Belleza Isis, Belleza Freya, Eve (note how I left Eve off the other lists), Lena Lush/Perky, and then every other body...

The gap between Maitreya and other choice is wide... BUT I use Belleza Freya nearly exclusively and have no trouble finding way more fashions than my budget tolerates...

Male bodies... the male choices just don't seem that good right now. Adam is good in both issues of lag and general look... but he's still laggier than everything I've listed above except for an unmodded Lena body. Slink male has the male parts always on... and they just toggle to hidden. I imagine this makes using a 'desired interactive brand' awkward... I also know that it means when there are slink guys around, if you have 'see transparency' on... you see that tiny thing there... and I say tiny for a reason... that thing just looks very small... I should measure it... :$

I have no clue which male mesh bodies have good fashion support... most of the human-male avatars I see in SL are either nude, or running around on noob avatars... or both... or such high avatar complexity I just see Jelly.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, *****cat Catnap said:

That is going to be true for any mesh body that has an applier system.

If you're shopping for a mesh body you should really demo all the choices rather than rely on what other people recommend. The differences will dictate what YOU look like for the foreseeable future so you really want to get the one that speaks to you.

If I had to give my opinion, for looks I like Belleza Freya, the new SalinA Tina, then new SalinA Alice, then Lena Lush Perky, Then Belleza Isis, Then Venus, then Maitreya, Then the original Slink, then the Slink Hourglass.

- Despite liking bodies that can go curvy, I only like the ones without extreme jagged curves.

- This is of course extremely subjective, and why you need to demo them ALL. And not just with the included shape nor even your own shape. Mess with the shape sliders and see what you can get.

If I rated these by how well they did 'avatar physics' they sort almost the same - except Belleza Isis and Belleza Venus rate with Freya, and all of the new SalinA's come right after, and Maitreya is dead last of them, but above all the ones I did not bother to list...

- You need to demo them all again here, with a very 'bouncy' physics and a super active dance pose (or a sex pose...), and again with a very 'firm' physics and the same poses. Some bodies that have looked really good to me in the past are not even on the lists here because I found such extreme issues with more 'bouncy' physics....

If I rated them for lag, the new SalinA gets the top marks, then Belleza, then Lena Lush that has beem modded to remove layers, then Maitreya, and an unmodded Lena Lush is so laggy it should not be worn.

If I rated them for customizability... SalinaA gets top marks - it's a moddable body. Then Lena Lush, also Moddable but you have to nearly 'destroy' all of its features when you mod it. Then Belleza because while no-mod, the HUD allows for so much. The rest are all about equal.

If I rated them for technical glitches... Belleza has the fewest, SalinA's new bodies have the most, everyone else is about the same.

Now if you rate them for fashions available...

Maitreya, Slink Hourglass, Belleza Freya, Slink Classic, Belleza Isis, Belleza Freya, Eve (note how I left Eve off the other lists), Lena Lush/Perky, and then every other body...

The gap between Maitreya and other choice is wide... BUT I use Belleza Freya nearly exclusively and have no trouble finding way more fashions than my budget tolerates...

Male bodies... the male choices just don't seem that good right now. Adam is good in both issues of lag and general look... but he's still laggier than everything I've listed above except for an unmodded Lena body. Slink male has the male parts always on... and they just toggle to hidden. I imagine this makes using a 'desired interactive brand' awkward... I also know that it means when there are slink guys around, if you have 'see transparency' on... you see that tiny thing there... and I say tiny for a reason... that thing just looks very small... I should measure it... :$

I have no clue which male mesh bodies have good fashion support... most of the human-male avatars I see in SL are either nude, or running around on noob avatars... or both... or such high avatar complexity I just see Jelly.

Thanks for your comments.  I appreciate them.  Do I gather that you think there are issues with the SalinaA fashions? also, forgive my being obtuse, but what do you mean by "customizability" and "moddable", and it seems in that regard that you essentially equate Salina A and Beliza given the HUD, what do you mean by that? Finally, technical glitches to me would seem to be a significant concern. Am I wrong?  

Thanks for your insights above, and in response to this.   

On 4/5/2017 at 9:13 AM, JenniferAnneSL Resident said:

Thanks for your comments.  I appreciate them.  Do I gather that you think there are issues with the SalinaA fashions? also, forgive my being obtuse, but what do you mean by "customizability" and "moddable", and it seems in that regard that you essentially equate Salina A and Beliza given the HUD, what do you mean by that? Finally, technical glitches to me would seem to be a significant concern. Am I wrong? 

Only the lack of them. It's a brand new body - no one is supporting it yet in terms of fitmesh. I do not even know if a developer kit exists yet. There was an older 1.0 version but in the 2.0 she completely redid the mesh and it's weighting - so everything is new other than the brand name.

It is copy/mod perms. You can directly edit it. It looks really cool by the way, when you set the texture to 'glow' (but I don't know of any copy/mod mesh heads, so this 'cool' look goes away at the neck) - but you CAN copy/mod the clothing layers too... so on my alt I made a glowing leotard using applier clothing.

Technical glitch: there is a seam where the lower and upper meshes link. My alt was told this was an upload error soon to be fixed. Otherwise I would have rated it a high concern.

I consider the Belleza HUD to be the best on out there. Others might have different opinions. I feel the Belleza HUD perfectly lets me do what I want to do with my body... other than well... make it glow or delink some of the prims... For a copy/no-mod body, it is as good as it gets.

A LOT of the complexity of Belleza would vanish in an instant if it was sold as copy/mod... The same is true for all of the other bodies. The makers of SelinA and Lena Lush both realized this... so this is actually a MASSIVE ADVANTAGE for their bodies. Furry makers have known this since 2003...

If you like applier clothing, or are a full-time nudist, in my opinion there ONLY ONE GOOD CHOICE on the market: one of the SelinA bodies that just came out. Being Copy/Mod is such a huge advantage that it overcomes every other single issue the body has or might have.

If you want fitmesh clothing... then your choices get more complex.

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

forget the tmp mess, there is a lot for it but more obsolete than a 2CV

Not only that, but thanks to their 'installer' system running entirely on their own external servers, the minute they decide to pull the plug on it a lot of people will be absolutely screwed and left with bodies that are stuck wearing whatever skin/etc they last wore.

59 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Signature Giani, Slink, and rising star Belleza Jake

I'd agree with the list, adding it's such a pity that the Belleza Jake's fingers are so darned ugly, the way they bunch up and bend backwards when most animations are played. Maybe bad rigging, as they are quite long as far as SL fingers go.

It would actually be a wearable body if the hands could be cut off and Slink Bento hands added. Sadly the "slink" button on the Jake HUD is only for fitting the Slink feet.

Edited by Callum Meriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2497 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.