New Avatar Bodies

Narnella

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it mesh bodies you're talking about?

A mesh body is effectively a cover for your existing body, which makes it look (much :-) ) nicer. The most popular option is a full-body package excluding the head, but you can also get individual components like head or feet. Have a look at the Mesh Body Addicts site, which does reviews of most of the popular mesh bodies.

• Like 1

At the moment, the market leader (for female bodies) is Maitreya Lara, with Slink and Belleza next, and others like Tonic and Eve a bit behind, all of which are good-quality bodies. They all have demo versions available, so get demos of all the bodies that interest you and play with them. And be prepared to throw out half your existing clothes, as not only will the fit be different but some clothes ("painted-on" stuff like most underwear, as well as tattoos etc.) just will not work with any mesh body that they were not designed for.

Mesh bodies do make things a bit more complicated, but I reckon they're worth it.

Edited by angeoco

Also note that there are MANY  more clothes made for the Maitreya body than for the others. Many designers only make clothes for Maitreya and some just for Maitreya and Slink.  There is a  big section of designers that no longer make clothes for the standard legacy bodies so if you want to be "fashionable" be sure and check out the clothes that you like before deciding on a body. You could choose a body that you like but find there is very little made to wear "on" it :D. 

I've suddenly become interested in mesh avatars, specifically mine, but I know next to nothing about them. So may I ask a few basic questions?

1. Mesh body. Is it shape and skin together?, or what exactly is it?

2. Can a mesh body be used with a legacy head, or is the join much too obvious?

3. Mesh heads. I'm assuming that they can't be modified - no mouth, eyes, chin, etc. adjustments possible. If that's true, does it mean that buyers of the same head all look the same out in the wild?

I'm a complete noob as far as mesh is concerned, so please forgive these very basic questions.

I want to see a male mesh body to compare it with my legacy one, but the demos I've managed to find inworld are skins and shapes, and may not even be mesh at all. That's how much of a mesh noob I am :)

ETA: Cancel question 1. I got a demo by following the link in angeoco's post, and I now understand what a mesh body actually is. I'm pleased to see that the shape can be adjusted as normal. I have to say that it really is much better than the legacy arrangement - just like people say. I'm still concerned as to whether a mesh head can be modified as normal, or if everyone using the same model of head looks identical (perhaps apart from skin colour).

Edited by Phil Deakins
addition

24 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

1. Mesh body. Is it shape and skin together?, or what exactly is it?

2. Can a mesh body be used with a legacy head, or is the join much too obvious?

3. Mesh heads. I'm assuming that they can't be modified - no mouth, eyes, chin, etc. adjustments possible. If that's true, does it mean that buyers of the same head all look the same out in the wild?

1: yes and no ... it mostly has a skin, but most likely you don't like it enough to use it out of the box. You can easely change the skins on most ( with appliers)

2: mostly yes ... for the joint see nr 1, with the right applier by your normal skin creator the joint will be nearly invisible

3: the newest  (bento)  heads are partly adjustable, size, mouth, eyes, chin etc .... only lots of guys still use the crap of TMP ..that are all clones

Edited by Alwin Alcott

1 hour ago, Phil Deakins said:

Just to add to Alwin's answer. You can go someway to personalising your non-bento mesh head using different skins, facial hair etc (just like the old system heads). If you go with the creators standard skin and eyes you will look like a clone though.

50 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Thank you Alwin. I really appreciate the information. There's a huge difference in the way the mesh body looks when arms and such are moving. I'm very impressed!

Skins still play the largest part in how a face will look. But I think the best thing for me, is the animated face. Sure, many mesh heads can be set in static poses for photograhy. But those where the face is animated, I often use a blink and a small smile combined. It is so much better than the default animations on the Legacy avatars.

Try the Catwa Daniel Bento. This is it with 3 different skins. You can see the neck seam in the middle one, but I think it is mostly a windlight issue. Plus, the head applier creator is not the same as the body applier creator. The shapes look similar, and that is of course because I prefer a certain look and it is hard to make them "very" special. For example the nose, who keep its shape. Can ma

You should pick up a demo head and try to edit it with some skin demos. It is very fun!

mesh-head-body-photo-gallery-head-skin-collage.jpg

mesh-head-body-photo-gallery-skin-collage-profile.jpg

It all sounds very interesting and I appreciate the replies. I'm going to have to do some experimenting, I think. The problem is, I like the face I have, so I'll try to come up with something that's reasonably close. I'm not in any hurry.

I don't remember if you are interested in Avatar Complexity, if you have posted in any of the "Jellydolls" threads. If you are, you should activate the Advanced menu and turn on "show avatar complexity information" while you demo. (I am on Firestorm, so I don't know the placement in other viewers)

The Gianni mesh body has a number of 55042, and the NX Nardcotix 88816. The Gianni body has one benefit, it is in "parts" so you can tale off the feet when wearing shoes, not just turn them transparent. Without feet, it is 40926. The body itself, without feet and hands, is actually light, only 15075.

Compared to the bodies, the mesh head Daniel is a feather with only 4964 for head and teeth. Eyes can vary, so I write down their complexity separate from the head. The eyes I tested went from 700-ish to over 20000. There are some heads that has to wear mesh eyes, and this head is one of those.

The numbers I have is for purchased parts, I am not sure how the demos complexity numbers are. I can take a look on the Slink body too.

Slink male:

Slink body 6922
hands 5504
feet 4292

total 16718

Well, this was a winner.

Mesh body parts can of course change complexity when they are updated. These are the number for what my alts have just now.

Edited by Marianne Little

Coincidentally, someone inworld recommended the Slink to me an hour or so ago.

Also, coincidentally, a little floater, showing the avatr's complexity, has started popping up now. I think it started because I tried the mesh demo body, but it pops up now each time I change outfits. I'm happy for it to pop up.

32 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Also, coincidentally, a little floater, showing the avatr's complexity, has started popping up now. I think it started because I tried the mesh demo body, but it pops up now each time I change outfits. I'm happy for it to pop up.

Someone is watching you and turned it on? :D I turned it on so it stay up permanently, until I turn it off again. As far as I know, it is not possible to rightclick an item and get the number for just that part. No, I have to detach all, wear an alpha that cover all so my complexity is zero, attach, write down the number, detach, attach a new item... ridiculous. Or else, I can always add and subtract when I wear more things, but it is annoying as §1xz>§!!!

If it is a faster way of doing things, please please tell...

The Slink HUD is the best one of the male bodies. I have TMP, Slink, Signature Gianni, Niramyth Aesthetic and NX on my boys. I just wish that Slink would make a more athletic body too. To complement their lean male body.

I hear good things about the Adam mesh body, but surprisingly enough I haven't bought it. I didn't like the hips. Good for my wallet. :$But for some, that is "the" body.

Edited by Marianne Little

i wouldn't recommend Slink at all.. nor as TMP or Niramyth meatballs...  go look at all mesh around.. or even wait till Evian release theirs... for now i would say, try the signature for sure...

Edited by Alwin Alcott

Well, I have the Slink demo male body on now and I agree with you, Marianne - it isn't very athletic. But it does have a range of neck blenders, one of which doesn't do a bad job at all with the skin that's on my head - not one of the Slink base skins - I like mine better. Apparently I need the Omega system for it, whatever that is. Where can I get a demo of the Adam body from? I can take all the time I want to sort it all out.

Edited by Phil Deakins

15 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Well, I have the Slink demo male body on now and I agree with you, Marianne - it isn't very athletic. But it does have a range of neck blenders, one of which doesn't do a bad job at all with the skin that's on my head - not one of the Slink base skins - I like mine better. Apparently I need the Omega system for it, whatever that is. Where can I get a demo of the Adam body from? I can take all the time I want to sort it all out.

Adam is made bu Ginger over at Absolut Creations.

As for omega, it's a system used to make non brand specific appliers for mesh bodies, there are omega kits for slink, and Adam, most major brands in fact, you can get them on the marketplace, for 99 ls per kit, or half price in world at Omega HQ if you pay 5 ls to join the omega support group.

If the skin you are using now comes with omega appliers, just buy the kit for whichever body you end up choosing. As far as mesh heads go, frankly mesh heads seem to be a bit of a pain right now, experimental Bento 0.1 RC products, I'd suggest holding off for newer versions next year maybe (who knows LL might update bento to bento 2, with more head/face shape options) and just stick with your system head on a mesh body, like I did.

6 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I seem to have taken over this thread. I do hope that Narnella (the OP) is benefitting from the posts.

I'm sure nobody will worry about you hijacking the thread, unless you pull out a gun and demand that the pilot fly the thread to a communist country where you intend to claim political asylum...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Aren't I allowed to do that? O.o

Well, not my place to make a ruling, but...

If you do force the pilot to fly the thread to a communist assylum, can you make it China instead of Cuba, as I don't like hispanic food, but do enjoy a good stir fry!

• Like 2

Also, it is said that Belleza will release a male body. It was a poster at the skinfair 2017. That does not mean that Belleza will release it soon. I still remember how avatars camped in their mainstore, waiting for that female body.

I think it is ridiculous that men have bodies with such a high complexity. When Slink manage to get their down to 16700, the others should be around that level too.

Fun fact Phil, did you know that Slink comes with a built in flaccid attachment? You can turn it on, but don't ask me how. There are some thing my alts must keep for them self.

China is out. I have no chance of reading their language.

I'll be patient and look around without rushing.

It's one thing to have a flaccid attachment, but quite another to have it do things. For many years I've had what I call my Sunday one. It's there but it doesn't do anything :)

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

China is out. I have no chance of reading their language.

I'll be patient and look around without rushing.

It's one thing to have a flaccid attachment, but quite another to have it do things. For many years I've had what I call my Sunday one. It's there but it doesn't do anything :)

But it gives the body that "real" look. I know some guys don't like that their SL avatar is just Ken, not even if they don't do anything adult in SL. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.