Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

1 hour ago, Maureen Boccaccio said:

Nice!!!  That reminds me of the Cartel field trips we took to an inworld amusement park - its name escapes me right now...

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of, but I'm also drawing a blank on the name.  I went back through my Exploring folder, but didn't find it there.

It's often stated that SL is a woman's world when it comes to shopping, and - as a man who loves fashion - I've always agreed with that. It's also sometimes (well, actually, often) said that most men can't be bothered to do much with their avatar once they've got a couple of decent looks together. More often than not, though, that's because it's so bloody difficult to find a wide variety of stuff that isn't just jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sneakers, etc. Women who take the time to tour current events with a male perspective in mind may already have noticed this, but I've just been looking through the Seraphim gallery for the Black Fair, which has just started. It might open some eyes to see the stats:

• 140 stores
  • Male-only items - 3 (one beard, one skin, one set of m/m poses)
  • Unisex tattoos that show at least one man on the ad (and are therefore compatible with male mesh bodies) - 4
  • Other unisex items - 2 (mesh ears, glasses)
  • Unisex nail appliers (eg: not Maitreya-only) - 3
  • Unisex poses (eg: one male, one female in a couples pose) - 2

That's it. The guys get precisely the following:

• 1 skin
  • 1 beard
  • 1 set of gay poses, plus 2 m/f couple poses
  • 4 tattoos
  • 1 pair of ears
  • 1 pair of glasses (there are two other pairs, but both are very femme 'cat-eye' styles)
  • 3 sets of nail appliers (if that's their thing)

Oh, and of course, all of the home decor options. ¬¬

It's bloody hard work putting together a stylish male avatar when that's the typical offering (and it IS the typical offering) at events.

ETA: Yes, we do now have male-only events (four of them, plus one yearly event) but if you've been going to those for as many years as I have, you'll see that the items on offer tend toward an average of 75% jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, sneakers, etc, 5% home decor, 10% accessories, and 10% 'fashion' clothing. Even some of the more 'fashion' designers that frequent these events have started moving toward hoodies and sneakers lately.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Sad 3

13 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of, but I'm also drawing a blank on the name.  I went back through my Exploring folder, but didn't find it there.

Prim Hearts Amusement Park - sadly, no longer there. :(

But there are some other ones!  Like the one in your photo! And there's one in Bay City: Hairy Hippo Fun Land  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Oak Bluffs/63/47/25.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Maureen Boccaccio said:

I found the LM just a bit ago, digging in another folder.  I was going to pop over this afternoon to see if it was still there.  Oh well :( - I'll go check out the one in Bay City instead 9_9

The one that I was at had a sign implying it was a temporary event - though the sign said it was only through Sept and we are a week into Oct, so who knows. The roller coaster was fun though and they did have a few other cool rides.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

It's often stated that SL is a woman's world when it comes to shopping.

And, as a woman who hates shopping, this doesn't help.

A good bit of my wardrobe is actually unisex/male. I haven't been out shopping in ages, but I didn't like that most of what was available for women was hypersexualized. I just wanted a smart skirt and blouse, or a blazer and slacks.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

And, as a woman who hates shopping, this doesn't help.

A good bit of my wardrobe is actually unisex/male. I haven't been out shopping in ages, but I didn't like that most of what was available for women was hypersexualized. I just wanted a smart skirt and blouse, or a blazer and slacks.

I wish that Vaki Zenovka was still actively blogging about SL fashion, but sadly her blog hasn't been updated in three years and even her Flickr hasn't seen a new image since January of this year. She had a great visual aesthetic - possibly a little more butch than you would go for - but she could make a man's suit look amazing on her avatar, and she occasionally put together more femme looks, too.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I wish that Vaki Zenovka was still actively blogging about SL fashion, but sadly her blog hasn't been updated in three years and even her Flickr hasn't seen a new image since January of this year. She had a great visual aesthetic - possibly a little more butch than you would go for - but she could make a man's suit look amazing on her avatar, and she occasionally put together more femme looks, too.

I make a man's suit look about as good on me as Professor Irwin Corey does on him. That's gotta count for something...

59da1c39d65bb_IrwinandMaddy.thumb.jpg.d505436a71e99bfdb0c8aec69a5d71a4.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I had my days of running around in the super skimpy outfits.  Now I just like to find pretty outfits that don't look like I'm trying to seduce everyone around me - and even better would be if I wasnt' finding most of the same stuff in every store. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:20 AM, Maureen Boccaccio said:

But there are some other ones!  Like the one in your photo! And there's one in Bay City: Hairy Hippo Fun Land  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Oak Bluffs/63/47/25.

Once upon a time there was a place in SL that pretty much mirrored RL Disneyland. A bunch of us decided to visit together. Several went in wearing Mouseketeer hats with their names embroidered in yellow and everything; they'd all been given those over time back before this trip was even thought of.

We had an absolutely hilarious time. With a great deal of viewpoint changing I managed to get up to the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain and 'steer' her for a bit, something I did in the original Disneyland Mark Twain when I was ten years old (and I have a Rivers of America Pilot's License with Walt Disney's signature to prove it), so that was my personal achievement. But we went on a whole bunch of rides as a group, no doubt totally spoiling them for everyone else on the ride as we fired back and forth in public.

As it happens, that sim closed down and vanished within a few months of our visit. Coincidence? I'd think so but for one small detail. Maddy was part of the group (and in fact the first one to have gotten a Mouseketeer hat).

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I had my days of running around in the super skimpy outfits.  Now I just like to find pretty outfits that don't look like I'm trying to seduce everyone around me - and even better would be if I wasnt' finding most of the same stuff in every store. 

Once upon an Iva it was gowns and modesty all the time. Now it's a little less gown and a little less modesty. I still have a halo... of sorts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Once upon an Iva it was gowns and modesty all the time. Now it's a little less gown and a little less modesty. I still have a halo... of sorts.

And I don't have a problem with showing some skin or wearing something seductive.  I've just moved a bit into more discreetly seductive rather than blatant - at least when I'm out in public, so to speak.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Once upon a time there was a place in SL that pretty much mirrored RL Disneyland. A bunch of us decided to visit together. Several went in wearing Mouseketeer hats with their names embroidered in yellow and everything; they'd all been given those over time back before this trip was even thought of.

We had an absolutely hilarious time. With a great deal of viewpoint changing I managed to get up to the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain and 'steer' her for a bit, something I did in the original Disneyland Mark Twain when I was ten years old (and I have a Rivers of America Pilot's License with Walt Disney's signature to prove it), so that was my personal achievement. But we went on a whole bunch of rides as a group, no doubt totally spoiling them for everyone else on the ride as we fired back and forth in public.

As it happens, that sim closed down and vanished within a few months of our visit. Coincidence? I'd think so but for one small detail. Maddy was part of the group (and in fact the first one to have gotten a Mouseketeer hat).

Mouseworld, per chance?  I have a slew of pics from there.

• Like 1