Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once upon a time there was a completely unmoderated forum.  A young woman asked a question (something about how to get a link to an indivual post I think but I am probably wrong and it doesn't matter

It had to be done.

Beautiful ceremony at the Hangout

Posted Images

OMG - a GOOD resize issue:  I have to resize all of my watches and bracelets because I no longer have to allow for that disgustingly out-of-proportion wrist bone.

:SwingingFriends:

And then there are the damn no-mod ones.   <sigh>

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Skell Dagger brought it up: ever since the whole corporate fascination with "teambuilding" started it's made me want to vomit. Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with monthly, weekly, or now and then picnics/catered lunches/whatever. They're fun, they're a good way to let people enjoy the company of other people they might not see often. They are not and will never be anything to do with team building,

Teams are built in a working environment among people who do their jobs properly and know who  else in the company does the same. They learn who can be counted upon to get something done, or answer a question accurately, or help with a problem.

Other people can be sweet as can be and always nice, and they may be a ton of fun at the Christmas party, but if they aren't the kind of people described in the previous paragraph, all the teambuilding exercises in the world are not going to make them part of anybody's team.

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be wrong but I have a feeling there are a few geeks and nerds in here.

Let's see if this "would you rather" questions has any particular biases.

Would you rather never be able to use a touchscreen or never be able to use a keyboard and mouse?

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect the bias you're referring to would be one of age, Rhonda. Personally, I would rather never be able to use a touchscheen, but someone twenty years younger than me would probably cringe in horror at my choice ;)

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I was thinking age would be the obvious bias.  But what about the old techno-philes like me?  No touch screen means no smart phone, no kindle or nook, no touch pad thermostat, no touchpad sound mixer or any any other controls ...

I could always rig up a touchpad to be a keyboard for my computer.  If I could touch type I would just use an xbox Kinect and type on the desk itself.  However that is not a skill I have despite sitting in front of a computer for close to 40 years now.

 

Anyway ... I thought it would be cool to find out how far geekdom surpasses age.
Or is it was just me :(

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I could be wrong but I have a feeling there are a few geeks and nerds in here.

Let's see if this "would you rather" questions has any particular biases.

Would you rather never be able to use a touchscreen or never be able to use a keyboard and mouse?

 

 

11 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I suspect the bias you're referring to would be one of age, Rhonda. Personally, I would rather never be able to use a touchscheen, but someone twenty years younger than me would probably cringe in horror at my choice ;)

Yep, I'm a keyboard and mouse type of girl.  I can still barely use the touchscreen on my phone. 

ETA:  The other types of touchpads never dawned on me - my brain stayed pretty much on computer.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get me wrong: I love my smartphone and I'm probably too attached to it for my own good. ("I'm now off to bed" usually means "I'm now off upstairs to stare at my phone for the next two hours", after all.)

However, I'm a writer. I need a clicky mechanical keyboard (I'm not really even fond of quieter laptop-style keyboards; I need that weight under each keypress), and a mouse is pretty much an extension of my right hand by now. So it's not just age that defines our choice there; it's also what we love to do.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2017 at 10:15 PM, Dillon Levenque said:

Since Skell Dagger brought it up: ever since the whole corporate fascination with "teambuilding" started it's made me want to vomit. Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with monthly, weekly, or now and then picnics/catered lunches/whatever. They're fun, they're a good way to let people enjoy the company of other people they might not see often. They are not and will never be anything to do with team building,

Teams are built in a working environment among people who do their jobs properly and know who  else in the company does the same. They learn who can be counted upon to get something done, or answer a question accurately, or help with a problem.

Other people can be sweet as can be and always nice, and they may be a ton of fun at the Christmas party, but if they aren't the kind of people described in the previous paragraph, all the teambuilding exercises in the world are not going to make them part of anybody's team.

 

 

That sounds more like "mandatory fun" than actual Team Building :-) 

Where I work, we keep the two very separate...

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

That sounds more like "mandatory fun" than actual Team Building :-) 

Where I work, we keep the two very separate...

I actually got called into the Director's office for not attending a department team building event.  She never did like me because I refused to participate in any of their Rah-rah events.  It was not a mandatory event and thus I reminded her that my presence was not required. She asked me why I never attended those types of events.  I flat out told her that "while I truly love what I do for work, I currently hate where I'm doing it".  She didn't really like that answer much either.  Needless to say I was already job hunting and had moved on a few months later.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I actually got called into the Director's office for not attending a department team building event.  She never did like me because I refused to participate in any of their Rah-rah events.  It was not a mandatory event and thus I reminded her that my presence was not required. She asked me why I never attended those types of events.  I flat out told her that "while I truly love what I do for work, I currently hate where I'm doing it".  She didn't really like that answer much either.  Needless to say I was already job hunting and had moved on a few months later.

Ugh. Team building. 

I'm the Office Director of my firm. I do not go to any events for the most part. I rarely show up even for the annual holiday parties and never for our summer party. I can't think of anything more boring. I like the people I work with, and I really love my job, but once the day is done, I just want to be home. I'm not much of a party person in general - it's difficult for me to just hang out for hours talking and I don't drink at all anymore (I take a medication which prohibits it) so it's just tedious to put it mildly. 

We have monthly management meetings which basically rehash the same BS every time and nothing ever changes. I'm obligated to attend those unfortunately.  

A couple of years back, we brought in a motivational speaker for management to help us come up with a company slogan.  Spent the entire day in a room bouncing ideas back and forth and, we all finally came up with something wonderful.  Here it is 2 years later, and it's never come up again.  And the person cost us $10,000 to do this. FFS.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Elora Lunasea said:

Ugh. Team building. 

 

Just as I was reading this an email came in for our dept:  "Let's do a Scavenger Hunt to learn about the new and improved department web hub"

I truly laughed out loud.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...