Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

When I started my long break from SL, there were 5 standard sizes of mesh clothing common to the world, there was lots of mesh "feet w/ shoe" combos, mesh hair was popping up everywhere, and SLink / Maitreya feet were starting to become every girl's "must have".  There were a few, very few, mesh bodies starting to become more popular, but really still only accounting for a very, very small percentage of the SL avatars.

What a different world I returned to.  I have spent most of the day reading anything and everything (don't tell anyone because I was supposed to be working) about mesh bodies, heads, and clothing. 

temp.jpg.69ac81a1eaf8a0e41e467173dff9d4a2.jpg

• Like 5

I was gifted a Maitreya body and it seems very popular with lots of clothing options.  I like it so far, so I'm going to stick with it for now.  I think I'm also going to stay with my classic head while I figure out skins and appliers a bit.  I never was a skin or makup person.  I've probably had 3-4 skins the entire decade I've been in SL, so I do not have much practice in selecting skins or figuring out what I like in that area. 

• Like 9

You are not alone. I've been here for close to 90% of a decade and since I got slightly skin savvy I've changed skins once. So three in all: whatever I started with plus two more. People kept saying things about how much better the current skins were and I kept trying demos but although I liked the body parts well enough (although to be honest I couldn't see how they were all that much of an improvement) I hated what they did to my face. I don't WANT that look. It's not me. I realize I'm a bit of an outlier, but I wanted the ability to have a face that while hopefully looking feminine, did not have extremely female attributes, most especially the lips. I never found a skin that didn't accentuate those, and I don't want to accentuate.

I've read posts from Maddy, and talked about it with her also, and she's not a skin shopper either. She may have worn even fewer than me and she's not bound by gender mismatches. She's just okay with herself. I'm okay with herself, too. Especially since when I finally got a good enough graphics card so I could stay on Ultra with ambient occlusion. That allowed me to see her in what she PUBLICLY ON THIS FORUM called, "...the full measure of my cuteness." :-)

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Dillon Levenque said:

"...the full measure of my cuteness."

And I didn't disappoint, did I? You certainly didn't... Ms. Buttons.

As for skins, I had one (Minnu?) in my first SL life and one (something I found on the web, and modified) in my second. I'm not much more adventurous in RL, where I'm still working through the two dozen pairs of pumps I bought on sale in 1992, all identical except for color. My tastes don't change, so I can save by buying in bulk. I am noticing that they're a little less comfy than in 1992. I suspect they shrink with age.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, HoneyBear Lilliehook said:

Been there, done that! One word repeatedly: Demo, demo, demo. Demo every head with every skin that you like. I'm happy with my Maitreya body. Still not 100% on the Catwa head I purchased.

I hear you on the Catwa. For my main ava, I use the Lelutka Simone 99.999% of the time.

I have many other mesh heads but, that one feels most like *me*.  The Catwa head I use has a slightly younger/youthful appearance which isn't something I normally project but it does come in handy at times.

I happen to like Genesis also, because their heads are slightly unusual in comparison but there aren't enough creators making appliers for them.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

... Ms. Buttons.

The reference is to a very strategically assembled pair of bib overalls I used to wear a lot. I was getting teased about them at one of Naz's gigs and I said, "They're buttons!", prompting Naz's then partner to say, "Maybe that's what the kids in her neighborhood called 'em....".

• Like 5

With respect to the mesh-ness of SL - I have the Maitreya body and all the Belleza ones.  I prefer the Belleza ones --- solely because I think the HUD is better than the Maitreya one.  The fact that I have Belleza skins doesn't hurt, either, but really, it's the HUD for me.

Haven't tried any of the mesh heads yet, but I am taking notes. :-)

• Like 4

Conversely, from my point of view, it's Catwa heads all the way. Most of the male heads I've tried look either too square-jawed-n-butch or too perma-furious (or a mixture of both). I don't really want to walk around SL looking like I'm about to headbutt someone for nicking me pint or eyeing up me bird xD

I own Catwa's Daniel and Shaheen heads and I love them both. Shaheen in particular is incredibly versatile, and the profile has a nose that's to die for.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Maureen Boccaccio said:

Oh!  The Forum Cartel hosts Hippie's weekly Breakfast Club this weekend.  Hippie tends to be the DJ for the gathering.  Food and lots of coffee - and bloody marys - will be on hand!

Forum Cartel Hangout
Sunday, July 30
8 - 11 am SLT

If I can make it, I want Mimosas please.  I never have been able to do vodka early in the day.  :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Maureen Boccaccio said:

Oh!  The Forum Cartel hosts Hippie's weekly Breakfast Club this weekend.  Hippie tends to be the DJ for the gathering.  Food and lots of coffee - and bloody marys - will be on hand!

Forum Cartel Hangout
Sunday, July 30
8 - 11 am SLT

Looking Forward to Breakfast at the Cartel Hangout!  Yes plenty of low Cal Food and good conversation will prevail!  The Bar will be open too for anyone who likes there breakfast in a liquid state!  Breakfast starts at 8 AM SLT and breaks up at 10.  

Peace!

FC Hangout 1.jpg

• Like 5

I'm Maitreya because that's what Rhonda bought for me *blushes* but I have Tonic Curvy on an alt. My main head is Catwa's Annie Vampire, but I have all the free or cheap heads I could get my grubby hands on. The Genesis Lab heads are gorgeous but the different UV maps for almost every head drive skin makers bonkers.

The only Bento ones I have so far is Eve and Akeruka, again the cheap ones. I have demo'd every bento head that was released prior to May and so far the one that I can mold into "Clover" is Catwa's Kathy. I was waiting to get it until she updated the vampire teeth to work with it, but I am getting impatient and may just have to be a fangless kitteh. *mews*

• Like 4

And completely unrelated, I got my promotion at work finally! However, I get to train myself because yesterday was the previous employee's last day. AND I have to continue to do my old job until they fill it.

*slinks off to find more chocolate*

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

And completely unrelated, I got my promotion at work finally! However, I get to train myself because yesterday was the previous employee's last day. AND I have to continue to do my old job until they fill it.

*slinks off to find more chocolate*

Congrats!!!

• Like 3