Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

@LittleMe Jewell There are some really interesting bits of packaging out there. I even started a Flickr set for my favourites. I should add to it soon, because my folder for that stuff is getting a few more items in it lately.

On another note, here's something that caught my eye on Atlas Obscura's FB feed this morning: an article on slate.com entitled This Photographer Turned His Back on the World’s Most Photographed Places.

Most people who visit the Mona Lisa go to see the painting. Those who venture to the Statue of Liberty usually want to see the statue. Tourists standing beneath the Eiffel Tower tend to look at the tower.

Not Oliver Curtis. For the past four years he’s gone to some of the most visited sites in the world and photographing anything but the main attractions. In 2012, he went to Egypt to see the Pyramids of Giza, and as he looked at the Pyramid of Khufu, he couldn’t help but feel that he’d seen it before. The truth was, of course, that he had seen it before—in photographs, just like everyone else there pointing their cameras at the ancient monument. Pondering this, Curtis decided to wander around the base to get a different perspective of the site.

“I found myself looking out from the direction I’d come from, with my back to the pyramid. The sight was really quite remarkable, with rubbish in the foreground, a golf course in the middle, and the suburbs of Giza in the background. I thought to myself that this is expressive of something alternative to the pyramid. It has a dialogue with the pyramid, but it’s also very different and sets up a very interesting dynamic,” he said.

It seemed like a really interesting and unusual idea for a photography project.

• Like 7

I remember perusing that Flickr album once. 

I've definitely seen a lot more unique packaging ideas since my return than I ever saw back in my early days.  I love that designers are getting more creative with it, especially when they are able to come up with something very unique and applicable to their store.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

BIG sale at Apple Fall. Ends soon. Like today kind of soon.

Builds are only $75L! Prices totally slashed. I just replaced a bunch of his items which SL ate up ages ago.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Fields/112/96/21

Hmmm, maybe already - sim appears to be offline  :(

On 7/22/2017 at 6:41 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I remember perusing that Flickr album once. 

I've definitely seen a lot more unique packaging ideas since my return than I ever saw back in my early days.  I love that designers are getting more creative with it, especially when they are able to come up with something very unique and applicable to their store.

I bought a vespa-like thing. The package, meant to be worn, was a big metal logo of the maker. You hold it up over your head like it's very heavy. Maddy might be able to use it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hmmm, maybe already - sim appears to be offline  :(

Maybe it had to be restarted or something. It was mobbed when I was there, and it took me days to get in. I'd think it wouldn't close down until midnight SLT, but maybe I'm wrong?

Morning, thread :)

I say 'morning' but it's just edged into afternoon here. Anyway, have a nice cuppa tea and a Full English:

stressfreefullenglis_67721_16x9.jpg.0a846a9f0defab0765038ff5c36dd861.jpg

Today is the start of my last week with my current company, and lo and behold they've actually found someone for me to train to do my job! After all the years I've been asking for one single person to train so I have some cover other than "we'll muddle through it somehow" whenever I'm on holiday, they finally find me some backup.

I guess at least this poor sod will have a week of training. That's more than I got when I started. I had 20 minutes and I even had to sort that out myself. At least my replacement will have the benefit of all the systems and record-keeping that I've put in place to help him keep track of all the multiple new things that my employer kept piling onto me. (Case in point: a short, five-hour shift yesterday - yes, a Sunday - turned into eight hours without even a break for a cup of tea.)

I'm mentally scratching notches into the wall, my lovelies. Almost free! :D

• Like 11

Oh, you think that's bad. 

A lady I work with lost her grandfather-in-law late last week. I just found out today.  His name was Enrique Jesus Salazar.  A common diminutive form of Enrique is *****.  Of course after spending years in the oilfeld it was eventually ... not really anglicized but more like Tex-Mex-icized to "Kinky."  My friend told us her biggest fear was how his name would appear in the obituary and that she must have told the newspaper guy several times to be sure it did not get written as Enrique "Kinky Jesus" Salazar.

**Salazar is not the real last name.  While I should say I am keeping it secret to protect his identity the real reason is I can't remember how to pronounce it much less spell it.  It is not a common Spanish sir name.

[edit]

It beeped Ki** ? 
Oh duh!  Jewish slur.:(

/me sighs.

It is pronounced Key-Kay.  Sort of.  It's a short form of Enrique so you have either heard it or can figure it out :)

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 3

The world is diminished by the loss of Kinky Jesus. 

Hey friends, I'm re-evaluating everything and I'll be around less frequently for the foreseeable future. No drama, just rollin' up my sleeves and trying to adult...

.... an' junk like that. 

Every once in a while someone please make a bad pun and blame me. :) Thanks!

Edited by Xerxes Kingstop
  • Like 6

*bows elaborately to Clover*

Do you like my stylish rubber boots, m'dear? They keep out the rain, especially when I'm traipsing through muddy fields, looking for clues ;)

wellingtons.jpg.7da0ca38938448f2e1c8823f115eb66b.jpg

Honestly, I could do this kind of thing all day, with one arm stuffed into my shirt tied behind my back...

ETA: Well, looks like #2 has vanished. Let's see if #1 follows it.

ETA 2: Correction - They've been merged. Everything is now in #1.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 6