Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

16 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

a 1.5 oz shot of my coffee has as much caffeine as a can of Red Bull.

I wonder... if you were being chased by a red bull, would you need caffeine? Would the adrenaline be sufficient?

ETA: Let's presume that caffeine is evolutionarily advantageous. Will that selection pressure decimate the non coffee drinking humans?

I have no children, so this is only a hypothetical concern to ponder as I sip my root beer.

ETA2: Welcome back, btw. ;-).

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I wonder... if you were being chased by a red bull, would you need caffeine? Would the adrenaline be sufficient?

ETA: Let's presume that caffeine is evolutionarily advantageous. Will that selection pressure decimate the non coffee drinking humans?

I have no children, so this is only a hypothetical concern to ponder as I sip my root beer.

ETA2: Welcome back, btw. ;-).

Root beer: I LOVE ROOT BEER! I keep forgetting to get a few bottles at the store. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Will that selection pressure decimate the non coffee drinking humans?

Excuse me while I nerd ...

Near the end of Mass Effect 3, the heroes make a run for a portal beam that is heavily guarded.  Lots of pew-pew and haaannnngggggg later you hear on the radio that the entire team has been decimated.  So of course I say "great! That means 90% of them are still alive."

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

Bad hail storm last night and they're expecting another this evening. I was without power for 12 hours, Rhonda on the other side of town lost a window in her laundry room and the back windshield of her car.

Yikes.

Hail storms are horrid.  The last major one here in Colorado dropped baseball size hail in one area of town.  A friend had 3 cars and many windows in the house badly damaged.

• Like 2

It can get scary but in the end it is only stuff.  If the worst thing that happens to me is I have to replace a few inanimate sundries then I have had an easy life.  Of course I can say that because I have been through much much worse in a trailer house ...

The cats were freaked out.during the storm and even after they were fussing all night. At least they had an appetite when I fed them this morning.

One last bit of lost property I forgot about.  When the laundry room window broke it shatter in little pieces all over the piles I had sorted waiting to be washed.  I used our shop vac to suck up all the pieces as a shook out the clothes.  However I got too close to one pair of panties and vooosh!  It was gone.  I'm not going to try and fish that out of the vacuum :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Clover Jinx said:

Bad hail storm last night and they're expecting another this evening. I was without power for 12 hours, Rhonda on the other side of town lost a window in her laundry room and the back windshield of her car.

YIKES!!!  Sorry to hear about the power outage and about the damage at Rhonda's place. :(

• Like 1

Heard in a chat room just now, topic was a new skin that just hit the market: 

"Is it available for the GA.EG head?"

GA.EG head?  Every time I log in there is another new whizbang marketing-department  trendy gottahave that that makes life more complicated - and of course makes everything in my inventory obselete. :/

again.

Apparently Catwa is no longer what the cool kids wear.   I may have time to care next Wednesday from 2:04 to 2:05 PM. 

Edited by Xerxes Kingstop
  • Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:25 AM, Rhonda Huntress said:

Excuse me while I nerd ...

Near the end of Mass Effect 3, the heroes make a run for a portal beam that is heavily guarded.  Lots of pew-pew and haaannnngggggg later you hear on the radio that the entire team has been decimated.  So of course I say "great! That means 90% of them are still alive."

Okay. Sorry Clover but I must be honest. I love you, Rhonda. I can probably count on fewer fingers than indicated by the name the number of people I've met who actually know the origin of that word. Not surprising; it's been misused for decades, possibly centuries.

For those that don't know (and since nobody ever talks about it there's absolutely no reason why you should!): The word originated with the Roman Empire, specifically the army (aka Legions). It was used as a punishment for legions that had displeased either their general or the Empire. The entire legion would stand in a line, and an executioner would walk the line killing every tenth man (hence Rhonda's correct statement about 90% still being alive). I suspect that was never really carried out, although I have read claims in historical works that believed this or that legion had been put to Decimation. I have my (unsubstantiated) doubts about it. But that is what the word means. 'Deci' as in decimal. Tens.

• Like 4