Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

If you could put your brain in a robot and live indefinitely, would you?

First thought was "No, it would be too hard emotionally - losing all those close to me while I lived on".  But then I remembered that robots do not have emotions (at least for now) - so I'd go for it.  Besides, the world would want to preserve all of this inane knowledge I carry around.  B|

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Yes, I would. But there are a lot of presumptions in that yes. I presume I'd be about as much me as I am now, giving nothing up in the process, except mortality. I presume that this opportunity would be widely available to others, so I've got company. And I presume that I'd continue to learn throughout my endless life.

If I'd go on endlessly as only a shadow of the current me, if it would rob others of opportunity and set me apart from the rest of humanity, or if I'd reach some saturation point, beyond which I don't improve, then no thank you, I'll go to my grave having done my best, making room for the generations to come.

And, because it's truly difficult to grasp how immortality would affect my thinking, my outlook, my morality, I'd advise anyone offering me that opportunity to have their head examined.

21 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I read a good book about this by Robert J Sawyer: http://amzn.eu/fTcHKlW

My answer... maybe yes.

and we discussed something similar one evening at the Basilique chat salon:

Transfer your consciousness and live forever live in a virtual world?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/temhaalan/16097033314

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

...The first line is "Day 1 of vacation." *growls*

My vacation is being spent on the house.  So far in just 2 hours the guys laying tile in the bathrooms have broken a decoration in the hall, asked me for my broom and dust pan (not for the decoration, I had to clean that up myself) and sent *me* the hardware store *twice*! I told them any more and I better be on the payroll.

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

My vacation is being spent on the house.  So far in just 2 hours the guys laying tile in the bathrooms have broken a decoration in the hall, asked me for my broom and dust pan (not for the decoration, I had to clean that up myself) and sent *me* the hardware store *twice*! I told them any more and I better be on the payroll.

ACK!

So, remember when we used to gather at the Hangout every Friday evening?  No hired DJ or band...we just danced to whatever was on the juke box.  There was a while when we used to "dress" for the gathering.

Is that something which would interest people nowadays?  (Probably not this Friday for some folks, since it's Good Friday, but...)

(Lexxi took this pic :))

Madelaine, Theia, Janelle, Lexxi, Spike, Rioko, Iz and Chris at the Hangout July 11 2010

Edited by Maureen Boccaccio
  • Like 8