Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

One of my RL friends got divorced a couple years ago, from a fella who was alcoholic. She was surprised to learn that I knew he was an alcoholic long before the divorce, as he'd had alcohol on his breath when painting my barn (his profession).

I visited with her a couple days ago, where she updated me on her love life and how her ex still continually peeves her. And, to top it all off, his birthday is coming and she feels compelled to give him gifts, if only to keep up the facade for the children (youngest in high school).

I suggested she give him a case of these...

048661342602.jpg

She chuckled, but she's such a chicken. I imagine he'll be getting socks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hey there - just wanted to give y'all a head's up that an "Alt Party" is being planned for the Hangout.  Here's the blurb from Ghosty Kips:

• I am in the planning stages for a Cartel alt party! What's an alt party, you ask? A party for our alts! Guessing who is who is only half the fun - but there's some planning that goes into making a successful alt party work. Details are forthcoming, but expect an "official" announcement in a week or so. Meanwhile, dust off your alter egos (or your alter ego's alter egos) and make them "party presentable!"
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Maureen Boccaccio said:

Hey there - just wanted to give y'all a head's up that an "Alt Party" is being planned for the Hangout.  Here's the blurb from Ghosty Kips:

• I am in the planning stages for a Cartel alt party! What's an alt party, you ask? A party for our alts! Guessing who is who is only half the fun - but there's some planning that goes into making a successful alt party work. Details are forthcoming, but expect an "official" announcement in a week or so. Meanwhile, dust off your alter egos (or your alter ego's alter egos) and make them "party presentable!"

Hmm, none of my alts are "party presentable".  I never take them out anywhere.  Heck, most of them are still in one of the starter avs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Maureen Boccaccio said:

I don't even know anyone anymore other than a handful of oldbies. Heck, I'm not even in the group and haven't been in ages. Everyone is an alt to me at this point.

• Sad 1

Hi, folks -- I don't know if you remember me from the early part of this century (not that I was around that much).  I just got this account reactivated after I don't know how many years. I had even forgotten I ever got this name, but I was looking through the archives, and on this page from Feb 2010

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/85/252954/4127.html

Maureen said, "Just checked, and 626 avatars have posted to this Thread" and in the list of names, I said hey! that's me!

I also found (in the forum archives) this picture of me, which Feline took at a Halloween party. (Check out those boots, eh?)

halo-punisher-orig.jpg.4cf41fdafa79470a56b082f228796b9e.jpg

So I got the account reactivated and it's so nice to have a last name again.  Now I have to get up-to-date. I already know which mesh body I'm going to get.

Anway, I have to run home now in RL because it's just starting to snow, and it's supposed to get heavy, baby.

Edited by Halo Minoptra
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Halo Minoptra said:

Hi, folks -- I don't know if you remember me from the early part of this century (not that I was around that much).  I just got this account reactivated after I don't know how many years. I had even forgotten I ever got this name, but I was looking through the archives, and on this page from Feb 2010

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/85/252954/4127.html

Maureen said, "Just checked, and 626 avatars have posted to this Thread" and in the list of names, I said hey! that's me!

I also found (in the forum archives) this picture of me, which Feline took at a Halloween party. (Check out those boots, eh?)

halo-punisher-orig.jpg.4cf41fdafa79470a56b082f228796b9e.jpg

I checked my pic folders and I have a pic of you from that party also.   Welcome Back !!!

1504490754_20091031-HaloMinoptraatForumCarelHalloweenParty.jpg.faff80be7777955ab1d7e5c6a266a62e.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the photo, @LittleMe Jewell !

So... after getting my old account reactivated, I logged in and started taking inventory.  I found myself standing on a lawn in a peaceful, nice sim where they allow anyone to "set home here" -- and that was a nice thing to still find working. I kind of expected to find myself looking like a cute tomboy, but instead I was wearing this dress that belled out like a ballroom gown, but was made to look as though I lived in a magical forest.

... and that is all the clothes I own! I didn't have the Punisher costume, or any of the other pieces I remember. Just this magical woodland lady dress (and I don't know why), and a set of fuschia lingerie that I never unpacked. Nothing else.  I still had all my skins and shapes and hair, though.

I don't mind losing it all my clothes.  I'm going to have to get a mesh body and clothes for that. Besides, I can't be sure I didn't delete my inventory myself, as odd as that would be.

But the real blast from the past came as I went through my skins, trying them on, when I saw a skin folder named DUTCH TOUCH, and I thought what kind of name is that for-- OHHHHHH!  It used to be one of my favorite skin shops, and in a flash I could even see the store in my mind's eye.  Now the store is only on the Marketplace. The ones I have are still such nice skins.

And then I was done taking inventory, completely done.  Now I get to start all over, almost like a newbie.

On 2/13/2019 at 12:07 PM, Halo Minoptra said:

So... after getting my old account reactivated, I logged in and started taking inventory.  I found myself standing on a lawn in a peaceful, nice sim where they allow anyone to "set home here" -- and that was a nice thing to still find working. I kind of expected to find myself looking like a cute tomboy, but instead I was wearing this dress that belled out like a ballroom gown, but was made to look as though I lived in a magical forest.

... and that is all the clothes I own! I didn't have the Punisher costume, or any of the other pieces I remember. Just this magical woodland lady dress (and I don't know why), and a set of fuschia lingerie that I never unpacked. Nothing else.  I still had all my skins and shapes and hair, though.

There have been cases where LL reactivated an account, and the user discovered problems/missing inventory/etc.  I would file another support case.  It's not a sure thing, but LL might be able to get more of your Stuff back.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There have been cases where LL reactivated an account, and the user discovered problems/missing inventory/etc.  I would file another support case.  It's not a sure thing, but LL might be able to get more of your Stuff back.

Definitely a big "might".  They even state so in the Knowledgebase:

image.png.808b5d9cfc3cb70a967c2b21192c543a.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @LittleMe Jewell and @Lindal Kidd -- I think I'm going to let it go. It's pretty nice to be starting off again from almost zero, like a newbie. Everything I had was system clothes. I hadn't even gotten as far as mesh clothes in my old life. Besides, in the past my inventory overwhelmed me. This time I'm going to try to be less of an accumulator and more of a picky shopper.

On the other hand, your posts do make me feel like my inventory evaporated... that I didn't delete it. That makes more sense.

This is just a ramble. You can ignore it and let this one die:

This morning I arrived at work at the same time as this guy who is an executive at another company in the same building. I don't see him very often, but until today each time I'd run into him was a day that was significant to him. The first time was his very first day, when he was new and enthusiastic. He told me (all excited) about this book he was working out of called "The First 90 Days" which is about how to start a new job. The next time I met him was his 30th day, and then his 60th day. He told me that the book said those were significant days. Then I didn't see him again until his one-year anniversary. Each time, I could see he would key into his memory of being new, so running into him was always a happy upbeat experience.

Today, though, was just a day, and I was feeling a little burned out myself. I could see he was feeling down, and it came out that he DRIVES for TWO HOURS to get to work every day. I exclaimed, "That's terrible!" and then of course felt stupid for blurting it until he agreed, saying, "Yeah, and when it rains, it's even slower." I didn't get the feeling that he was complaining really, or looking for pity or anything. He just wanted to say it to somebody.

It made me feel better about my commute, but I still feel kinda burned because we've been working a lot and are short-handed. But I have to say that getting back into Second Life is a really nice thing to happen at this time. This morning before I left for work I logged in, and it struck me there are real people in here. I was sitting on the floor in my kitchen, and felt like I was sitting in the center of the world. Yes, I have a RL social life, often too active, but SL is just a different dimension. So many places to go, and so easy to have nice hair.

Edited by Halo Minoptra
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Halo Minoptra said:

and it came out that he DRIVES for TWO HOURS to get to work every day

If I drive for 2 hours, any direction, I either left the country, or drove my car into the North Sea...

Can't imagine having to drive 4 hours every day just to get to work and back. I drive 5 minutes to work, 6 if its rainy :)

• Like 1

Feeling a bit melancholy tonight. I've just set most of the region we've lived in for 12 years up for sale. We're just not using as much of it anymore. We both stopped building when mesh came along, but the build platforms and texture organisers have still sat there, un-used. It's pointless for me to pay a whole region's tier when we're only using about a quarter of it, so I'm tiering down to a quarter region. I'm going to miss it all, but I have some amazing memories of that land and all the years we've spent there.

If anyone wants a plot of land in a lovely peaceful neighbourhood, head to Jindalrae in the next few days. Any lots designated as 'Brexit' are up for sale, at about L$3.3/m2 or thereabouts. One corner will remain ours, but the rest is going. The only one not currently for open sale is Brexit Beach 3, as our neighbour has expressed an interest in that one. It's the biggest lot, at just over 10,000m2. There's another smaller beach lot, a central lot, and a lot on a hillside with an ocean view. There will be one more (the big corner lot in the SW of the region) but I still have some stuff to remove from there first. That lot... will be the hardest to let go. It's the very first one we bought in SL.

/me sighs and goes to make a very large mug of tea. :/

• Sad 3

On 2/20/2019 at 3:37 PM, Halo Minoptra said:

This is just a ramble. You can ignore it and let this one die:

This morning I arrived at work at the same time as this guy who is an executive at another company in the same building. I don't see him very often, but until today each time I'd run into him was a day that was significant to him. The first time was his very first day, when he was new and enthusiastic. He told me (all excited) about this book he was working out of called "The First 90 Days" which is about how to start a new job. The next time I met him was his 30th day, and then his 60th day. He told me that the book said those were significant days. Then I didn't see him again until his one-year anniversary. Each time, I could see he would key into his memory of being new, so running into him was always a happy upbeat experience.

Today, though, was just a day, and I was feeling a little burned out myself. I could see he was feeling down, and it came out that he DRIVES for TWO HOURS to get to work every day. I exclaimed, "That's terrible!" and then of course felt stupid for blurting it until he agreed, saying, "Yeah, and when it rains, it's even slower." I didn't get the feeling that he was complaining really, or looking for pity or anything. He just wanted to say it to somebody.

It made me feel better about my commute, but I still feel kinda burned because we've been working a lot and are short-handed. But I have to say that getting back into Second Life is a really nice thing to happen at this time. This morning before I left for work I logged in, and it struck me there are real people in here. I was sitting on the floor in my kitchen, and felt like I was sitting in the center of the world. Yes, I have a RL social life, often too active, but SL is just a different dimension. So many places to go, and so easy to have nice hair.

I’m lucky that my commute is only 15 minutes!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2019 at 11:17 PM, Zeta Vandyke said:

If I drive for 2 hours, any direction, I either left the country, or drove my car into the North Sea...

Can't imagine having to drive 4 hours every day just to get to work and back. I drive 5 minutes to work, 6 if its rainy :)

I can drive two hours at any speed under about 300 kph in any direction other than west and still be in California!  If I go west, though, I'd be joining you under the sea.

ETA: I may have overstated that slightly. At an average speed of 300 kph/186 mph, I could reach Stateline at the south shore of Lake Tahoe in around an hour and forty five minutes. Whether I'd be capable of negotiating Highway 50 at that speed is another question, one to which I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

Edited by Dillon Levenque

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the weather page to see how the upcoming week will be.  It was low 50s this past Friday and has been in the mid 40s this weekend and will be in the 40s early in the upcoming week.  I then saw this for Wed.  They are using the term blizzard, which they don't use a lot in Denver, so that implies it will be doubly nasty with lots of wind.  Damn schizoid weather.

image.png.e6dd27b5b5c145ef4905114af622d7d8.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I went to the weather page to see how the upcoming week will be.  It was low 50s this past Friday and has been in the mid 40s this weekend and will be in the 40s early in the upcoming week.  I then saw this for Wed.  They are using the term blizzard, which they don't use a lot in Denver, so that implies it will be doubly nasty with lots of wind.  Damn schizoid weather.

image.png.e6dd27b5b5c145ef4905114af622d7d8.png

834B5717-4A78-4F65-9797-6DE37BFF04BB.png

• Like 1

We're finally getting daytime temperatures around 40 with nighttime temps in the 20s. That'll get the maple sap flowing so I can trudge around in the snow and mud with friends I see but once a year to collect buckets of the stuff. It's an odd ritual where, because I'm so terribly slow to learn, I often pour sap into one of my boots and spend the rest of the day trying to keep that foot from freezing. I do this so that, in the evening, I can thaw it out by the wood fired evaporator affectionately called "The Monster". I do this for a few days, going home tired and sore each night. And a year later, when the weather starts to turn, I inexplicably look forward to doing it all again.

Who says humans are intelligent?

Switching topics. At the top of this page, I posted a picture of a paint can opener and a little story about my friend's ex-hubby, an alcoholic house painter. I told that story to two other friends, who both relayed personal experience with drunken painters. I think I may have stumbled on yet more proof that free will is an illusion. Here are images of paint can openers I have somewhere around the house. All of them contain bottle openers.

image.png.78a2deccd076cfd54d4c6d05f936c9f0.pngimage.png.28a4b6a7b5b8761a0af92a5ee7fc22a8.pngimage.png.3d54472c0e8d09b693ab8cceb2fc155d.png

I'm sure if I searched long enough, I'd find a 5-gallon bucket opener with a built in bung plug wrench. Those poor house painters don't stand a chance.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1