Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

2 hours ago, Maureen Boccaccio said:

If there was a real fire, putting it out would kinda sorta be at the top of my to-do list :P)

Where the heck do you live? Where I live we have a fire department to put out real fires, in fact I am pretty sure that in the employee handbook, it specifically says, in case of an actual fire, get your behind out of the building and let the fire department put it out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sweetgem Clemenceau said:

Good day everyone!

Just had some awsome potato salad and bratwurst sausages for lunch - and now I'm stuffed and ready for a nap. I hope y'all had or are having something awsome to eat today as well.

Do yall get to say yall on that side of the world? :D

Lunch will be left over shrimp and kielbasa.  I haven't thought about supper yet.but chicken lo mein is a strong possibility.  Or maybe mushroom burgers.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Do yall get to say yall on that side of the world? :D

Well... decades of communication with US-Americans do leave some habits :D

I practised English since 7th grade . in '80/81, read a lot, wrote with penpals, had phone calls and later skype calls  with American friends. When I traveled around in the USA in '91 and '94, I usually was asked which *state* I came from, not which country.

Nobody believed me at first when I told them that I came from, and grew up in, EAST Germany, B|

Edited by sweetgem Clemenceau
  • Like 2

It's time for yet another
Random Asked Question

Today's question comes the fine folks at Miracle Scripts, Inc.  If it's a bug free script, it's a Miracle.

If you were given an envelope with the the time and date of your death inside, would you open it?

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 3

I would open it for similar reasons.  I am looking at retirement before long and it is a concern about having enough invested and saved to cover the rest of my life.    If I knew the expiration date I would know exactly how much longer I need to work.  That way I could maximize the amount of time I could spend with family.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

If you were given an envelope with the the time and date of your death inside, would you open it?

Absolutely not. In fact, I would burn it. I would rather live my life as an ongoing and enjoyable thread of existence, rather than seeing a sharp pair of scissors hovering in the distance and getting ever closer. Those metaphorical scissors would constantly catch my eye, and - as they drew closer - I'd start living in a state of fear (even though I'm not afraid of death) that I won't have enough time to do everything I want to do. 

ETA: Slight edit (the struck-through text) because - after posting this - I realised that my words intimated that people who did choose to open the envelope and know the exact time and date of death would not enjoy existence. That's not what I intended, hence the edit.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Random Asked Question

Today's question comes the fine folks at Miracle Scripts, Inc.  If it's a bug free script, it's a Miracle.

No because I already know I will be alone and it will be an accident.

3 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I would take the envelope, but I don't think I'd open it right away.  I am sure I would, at some point, but not today.  

However, like Talligurl, I'd want to know the origin of the information.  

• Like 1

I want the envelope.  If I'm dying sooner rather than later, I need to increase my traveling so I can see as much of the world as possible before I go.  If I'm living much longer than anticipated, I might need to bump the savings a bit to be able to keep traveling.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Random Asked Question

Sure I'd open it. But there's still a lot of uncertainty. Do I die 127 seconds after falling out of a hot air balloon onto the spire at the top of the Chrysler building, or 62 years after falling into a coma that leaves me alert, in pain, and unable to communicate.

See what happens when you ask me questions like this?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Random Asked Question

*Is drawn to the presence of death in the thread*

Fascinating question.  For me, I seek knowledge, wisdom and the truth of all things in this life and so I would want to know.

Yes I would open it.  Do I think it would make me happy to know?, I expect not, it could quite probably sap all enjoyment out of the rest of my life just as surely as if I just learned I had cancer and only a short time to live.  There is never enough time, no matter how long away it may seem.

Knowledge often doesn't bring happiness but that is no reason to resist seeking it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I'll come up with a less morbid question next time.

Morbidity only occurs when we are unsettled by the subject matter, there is a need for people to ask these questions.
It reminds us to reflect upon the bigger picture from time to time, even if that unsettles us.
I hope you continue to ask questions like this.

• Like 1