Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Think I’ve seen people do it by putting their avatar underground, etc. Was years ago..

Yep, if you have a very short avatar, like my li'l devil, you can set your hover height to -2m in Firestorm and bury your name tag under the terrain. Any group tag (which displays above the name) may still be visible, and you'll still show on maps and in radar. This won't work in water and you might out yourself navigating rough terrain. Also, there's no reason to go alpha if you can use this trick.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dillon Levenque said:

So it's still not possible to 'hide' your own name tag. That's what I'd thought, for the same reasons you suggest. Although in your case it wouldn't help a bit: the slowly fading ember trail is a sure sign that Maddy was here ;-).

Actually, you can. I have a gesture (Yes! It's GESTURE) that someone gave me and it makes you *invisible( nametag and all) The only way anyone can know I am present is a dot on minimap, but I think it also removes that (I may be misremembering, though).

51 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Think I’ve seen people do it by putting their avatar underground, etc. Was years ago..

It doesn't plop the avie under the ground, which was the way to do it for years. I don't know WHAT it does, I suspect it offsets the avatar from where it's standing. By how far and all that: I'm not sure. I just know it works. It's no modify so I can't see what their trick is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I think it might have. Nova's was off at the breakfast club when she disabled everyone else's (for her). I tried it later and my tag disappeared, so maybe it's changed..........

Was her name actually no longer there or just no group tag?  Anyone can set their group tag to None (i.e. no active group) and then there is no tag to display, so nobody would see one regardless of their own settings. 

You can also turn off seeing your own name/tags and/or seeing other names/tags.  Unless you set your own tag to None, others can still see your tag if they wish regardless of your settings.

Not counting the misc gadgets/etc that will offset your location such that your name/tag isn't visible - but then you wouldn't be visible to them either.

Today's gripe - Why do merchants put the SLURL into a notecard rather than dragging an actual Landmark into the notecard?  When they give a SLURL, I have to copy it out and paste it into chat and then click on it to get the LM/TP box.  If it is an LM, I can just click it directly in the notecard and the LM/TP box pops right up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Today's gripe - Why do merchants put the SLURL into a notecard rather than dragging an actual Landmark into the notecard?  When they give a SLURL, I have to copy it out and paste it into chat and then click on it to get the LM/TP box.  If it is an LM, I can just click it directly in the notecard and the LM/TP box pops right up.

You kids today. When I was your age we had to use maps! Lines on paper! And don't even talk about trying to fold them back up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

You kids today. When I was your age we had to use maps! Lines on paper! And don't even talk about trying to fold them back up.

/me rolls Dillon back into the museum. 

Pleasedon'tkillme.

Edited by Sukubia Scarmon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You're using FS right? Cut out the middle man. Paste that sucker in the address bar and hit enter.

There's actually a glitch that prevents some FS users (like me!) from clicking on LMs in notecards.

Edited by Clover Jinx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

You're using FS right? Cut out the middle man. Paste that sucker in the address bar and hit enter.

There's actually a glitch that prevents some FS users (like me!) from clicking on LMs in notecards.

Don't think I've ever used the address bar - didn't know you could do that

• Like 1

It has been a McMaster's family tradition to purchase large quantities of tools which are often in need, things like utility knives, scissors, and tape measures. The idea is that these things should always be within reach, and so they are sprinkled liberally around the homestead. Who doesn't need a tape measure in their powder room now and then?

But, over the last year or so, it seems I've been spending more time than usual looking for these things when I need them. You might wonder why I can't just develop the good habit of putting things away after I use them, but that would involved developing good habits, wouldn't it? And it turns out that is exactly the problem. I don't know what mental defect is creeping up on me, but it seems I have been putting tape measures in the rightmost drawer in the cabinets under my big workbench in the basement. This morning, not being able to find a tape to measure my way around the family room for furniture planning, I grudgingly went to the shop to pinch one from the main stash. I found 26 tape measures in the drawer! I don't know why I've taken to putting the damn things "where they belong", because they surely don't belong there.

My mind is going.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I found 26 tape measures in the drawer! I don't know why I've taken to putting the damn things "where they belong", because they surely don't belong there.

My mind is going.

Even going with the family tradition idea of always having one handy, unless you live in the Biltmore* that seems like a lot of measuring tapes.

If YOUR mind is going, who the hell am I going to turn to for help as MINE withers away?

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gilded_Age_mansions#/media/File:Biltmore_Estate.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Even going with the family tradition idea of always having one handy, unless you live in the Biltmore* that seems like a lot of measuring tapes.

If YOUR mind is going, who the hell am I going to turn to for help as MINE withers away?

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gilded_Age_mansions#/media/File:Biltmore_Estate.jpg

Hey! Measure twice, cut once. (Implying 13 saws, which sounds about right).

I'll be visiting the Biltmore estate in a few weeks, after attending a wedding. Shall I leave a few measuring tapes in drawers there? I've restocked my supply of red reflectors and googly eyes, so I'm ready for a road trip.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think there’s a “measuring tape function” for iPhone now. My problem isn’t measuring, it’s remembering to use a level. Thus, a few things in RL home are hung at wacky angles.

There is, and it's impressive. I should go looking for an app that can trace outline of furniture on a floor. The dimensions in my furniture brochures are a mix of wrong and incomplete, and the company's online floor planner is dreadfully inaccurate.

There are also very good "level" apps for the iPhone.

I recently carried a box of old iPods and iPads off to Goodwill, as my collection of those was growing into an embarrassment. It's truly remarkable how useful my iPhone is becoming. Since childhood, when I see contrails in the sky, I wonder where the people are going, and where they came from. Now, you can just launch an app, point your iPhone up and see the airline flight information superimposed on the camera's view of the sky.

• Like 2