Just Ignore and let this one die

Maureen Boccaccio

4 hours ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

some kind of scripted llApplyImpulse() to make it move as if blown by a breeze.

For flexi prims, I would have used a change in the "gravity" (think that's how I scripted my favorite tail). A standard flexi prim attribute. From the Wiki:

[ PRIM_FLEXIBLE, integer boolean, integer softness, float gravity, float friction, float wind, float tension, vector force ]

• integer boolean TRUE enables, FALSE disables  
• integer softness ranges from 0 to 3  
• float gravity ranges from -10.0 to 10.0  
• float friction ranges from 0.0 to 10.0  
• float wind ranges from 0.0 to 10.0  
• float tension ranges from 0.0 to 10.0  
• vector force

51 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

My daughter''s cat knocked my desktop off the desk about an hour ago. I can't get it to power on now.

Looks like I have a new weekend project I just hope I can get it going again 

Gonna take a wild guess ... you're not going to be into cute cat videos for a while, huh?

On the serious side: Time for what we used to call TLC. Take off the cover, remove and reseat all the cards, unplug and replug all the connectors, vacuum out all the fans .. plug it all back up and ... PRAY!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

How about some hair to make this day go better? Exile has some bento ponytails for FLF!

Yes plzthx!  Browns and Reds.  Remind me this evening and I'll log on with the Dell long enough to get them.

7 hours ago, Darrius Gothly said:

Time for what we used to call TLC.

I went through the quick and easy stuff last night ... it's not going to be quick and easy.  If you are bored I'll give you the details of what happened and what I have done.

First, it is my Alienware Aurora which is about 3 years old.  I swapped out the Nvidia 680 with a 1070 just a few months ago.The smaller Aurora case can't get rid of the heat fast enough so the side of the case is open.

Anyway, I was on the computer and reading these forums when the cat tried to jump on top of the case.  As the case started to topple, my monitors went blank with a solid light gray color.  The movement scared the cat who tried to run behind my monitors.  Since action = reaction, the cat went  one way and the case went the other.  Off the desk and onto the floor.  There is no carpet or anything in the office; just a stained concrete floor.

The monitors never shut down and remained a solid light gray color.  The computer was still powered on even after I picked it up.  Not pieces came loose except for cover which was laying propped open to start with.  I pressed the power button hopingit would shut down gracefully but after a few minutes it was apparent that wasn't going to happen.  So I held the power button down for 5 seconds .. 10 seconds .. count to 30 ... nothing.

The Aurora has an external power supply.  So I pulled the plug.

I didn't reseat the cards, I just checked to make sure everything was snug.  I couldn't get to the memory unless I pull the graphics card and since it was after bed time already I didn't want to go to far in a dim office with tired eyes, I just left it in.  Besides, since the power switch wouldn't work shutting it down I was more concerned with that.  And as I feared, no response from the switch.  I did not see the point of contact when the case hit the floor so what I am hoping for is a the physical switch is the problem.  I do have some other cases I can use but I'm not sure if I have a power supply large enough.  I *think* I have a 750 Watt PS in the garage if my husband hasn't thrown it way.  I tend to horde old parts until it becomes apparent we have too many and then I have to thin the stock :o

I usually keep my grand daughters on Friday nights so my son and daughter-in-law can have adult time so I probably wont have time to for complete disassembly and troubleshooting today.  I'll see what I can do Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I went through the quick and easy stuff last night ... it's not going to be quick and easy.  If you are bored I'll give you the details of what happened and what I have done.

Hide contents

First, it is my Alienware Aurora which is about 3 years old.  I swapped out the Nvidia 680 with a 1070 just a few months ago.The smaller Aurora case can't get rid of the heat fast enough so the side of the case is open.

Anyway, I was on the computer and reading these forums when the cat tried to jump on top of the case.  As the case started to topple, my monitors went blank with a solid light gray color.  The movement scared the cat who tried to run behind my monitors.  Since action = reaction, the cat went  one way and the case went the other.  Off the desk and onto the floor.  There is no carpet or anything in the office; just a stained concrete floor.

The monitors never shut down and remained a solid light gray color.  The computer was still powered on even after I picked it up.  Not pieces came loose except for cover which was laying propped open to start with.  I pressed the power button hopingit would shut down gracefully but after a few minutes it was apparent that wasn't going to happen.  So I held the power button down for 5 seconds .. 10 seconds .. count to 30 ... nothing.

The Aurora has an external power supply.  So I pulled the plug.

I didn't reseat the cards, I just checked to make sure everything was snug.  I couldn't get to the memory unless I pull the graphics card and since it was after bed time already I didn't want to go to far in a dim office with tired eyes, I just left it in.  Besides, since the power switch wouldn't work shutting it down I was more concerned with that.  And as I feared, no response from the switch.  I did not see the point of contact when the case hit the floor so what I am hoping for is a the physical switch is the problem.  I do have some other cases I can use but I'm not sure if I have a power supply large enough.  I *think* I have a 750 Watt PS in the garage if my husband hasn't thrown it way.  I tend to horde old parts until it becomes apparent we have too many and then I have to thin the stock :o

I usually keep my grand daughters on Friday nights so my son and daughter-in-law can have adult time so I probably wont have time to for complete disassembly and troubleshooting today.  I'll see what I can do Saturday.

I am praying the hard drive's auto-lock kicked in and slammed the heads back into their park position before the shock could do any damage to the platters. The fact that the monitors went gray before contact with the floor would lead me to believe the "damage" was pre-impact. Is it possible the cat's feet used internal parts for that extra panic launch?

Bottom line? My butt is clenched tight just reading your account. I'm gonna sacrifice a few 3-1/2" floppies to the Puter Gods on your behalf .. JIC.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Well, I've been slowly inching towards that magical 500 posts, and I just hit it. So thank you to @Xerxes Kingstop for the inspiration. I did promise, after all ;)

59a066902ce7e_MisterFrillyBritches.PNG.7cdc1c7b8bb8ab1877734ed2e16b58d9.PNG

Welcome to the land of "Real" people. Now, as the newest member, you have to buy everyone a drink. I'll take a whiskey and soda please.

• Like 1

I's ALIVE!

The power switch is busted into little pieces.  For now (and probably for as long as I keep it) I have to "hot wire" it to start.  But it starts.

The physical HD is dead but there is nothing really on it.  It was slaved over from the last computer and has been unused since I got any data I wanted off of it.  

The graphics card fits into a little back plane/carriage thing and then that slots into the main board.  While the carriage was still seated, the card had moved slightly and popped its latch.  I fitted everything back together and it is working again.

I now have the shell of an alienware computer minus most of the plastic frills sitting on my desk with two bare wires hanging from the front as its power switch.  +5 Geek Points!

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I's ALIVE!

The power switch is busted into little pieces.  For now (and probably for as long as I keep it) I have to "hot wire" it to start.  But it starts.

The physical HD is dead but there is nothing really on it.  It was slaved over from the last computer and has been unused since I got any data I wanted off of it.  

The graphics card fits into a little back plane/carriage thing and then that slots into the main board.  While the carriage was still seated, the card had moved slightly and popped its latch.  I fitted everything back together and it is working again.

I now have the shell of an alienware computer minus most of the plastic frills sitting on my desk with two bare wires hanging from the front as its power switch.  +5 Geek Points!

HOT DANG!! Well done Rhonda. Glad to hear you are alive .. and with a computer that now has a good bit of "personality". Be honest now, it's not really YOURS until you put a few dings and dents into it .. right? *wink wink*

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I love that you remembered

Heh. From way back in June, yep:

frilly_britches.PNG.9d16ed4597931ff55615c298c058b64d.PNG

I'm not one to post for the sake of padding my post count, so I've just been chipping in here and there, as and when. It took a while, but it's never been off my mind as the post count slowly crept up :D

• Like 6