Favorite Environmental Settings

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like Bree's Appleblossom for general wandering - its bright, really really bright so you can see fine details- great for building. No shadows though.

Byn Oh's Winlights are interesting for photos( Especially landscapes!) and use of filters.

Magic hour is pretty and very realistic ambient even in super low settings. Love those clouds!

Bree's Apple - Low settings- Auto contrast_001.png

Byrn Oh's Anna - Low settings- Auto contrast_002.png

Byrn Oh's Bluverse - Low settings- Auto contrast_001.png

Byrn Oh's Boxed metal - Low settings- Auto contrast_001.png

Byrn Oh's Condos - Low settings- Auto contrast_001.png

Byrn Oh's Immers - Low settings- Auto contrast_001.png

Byrn Oh's Virgina Alone - Low settings- Auto contrast_001.png

Edited by AineMari Flanagan
  • Like 2

I've made tonnes of sky settings, and maybe a dozen different day cycles.

Way back when Windlight was new, LL promised we'd have the ability to share windlight as inventory. I wish they had followed through with this (and the promised weather and volumetric cloud features they also promised then seemed to forget about. Windlight as we know it today is only about about half finished compared to what was promised.). I also wish that Experience tools included the ability to manipulate windlight settings (allowing people to override Experience windlight settings client side, of course).

Good sky settings can make all the difference.

LL's default sky:

6856541556_2635db111d_o.thumb.jpg.3ae954c9f9a373b9b5418d68cefa2f7d.jpg

Custom sky:

6805014859_67f7309fe0_o.thumb.jpg.ec30304449212ba2197938ba349e22e6.jpg

I created a custom day cycle for my post-apoc themed home that includes a radiation saturated cloudy period:

27761414864_20a776f333_b.thumb.jpg.9053b2e5d0206d2c60b2f3a57c4614de.jpg

And a sunny midday:

28297775641_93354aef24_b.thumb.jpg.5d67ab68e87b0ed5cb3df291d48a6b0c.jpg

And one of the reasons I wish Experiences could be used to adjust windlight is to give interior environments their own sky settings:

30309060253_c6f20a0e8c_b.thumb.jpg.8cf00b979dd5e4e59e3e3c40ee308ebe.jpg

I've heard people complain that SL's lighting is awful because of how interiors look odd with exterior lighting. They compare this to videogames where interiors have proper interior lighting when you're inside, but never realize that videogames accomplish this by having separate interior and exterior lighting.

I've also made some fun sky presets for fantasy settings. 

32818116820_d4486f2a7b_b.thumb.jpg.a6a13cc57cad6bcbb1276c7143156aa3.jpg

33409261866_91d9c6f239_b.thumb.jpg.dc1bdb745ae84b97b953cae15d0d1b68.jpg

Black Dragon has included some of my windlight sets but I really wish it was easier to share settings.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Annika Velde said:

This picture is stunning and I would love to know how you achieved this!

Thanks! It's actually really easy. Most SL sky settings are lacking in atmospheric haze, you just need to mess with the atmosphere sliders until there's enough haze off in the distance to to give SL a much needed sense of depth.

The star effect in the sky is a photo of a galaxy turned into an alpha texture and pasted inside a hollowed out megaprim sphere. One of those really old, larger than a sim, megaprims. (I do not recommend this on mainland unless you build up in a skybox and make sure the prim is way out of the way of any of your neighbor's builds.

Fun trivia; The screenshot showing my improved sky settings was taken before shadows were a regular feature. So it is not using deferred rendering. The screenshot using the default sky was taken much later and you can see that I forgot to turn shadows and deferred rendering off. So even without shadows that scene looks better with the custom sky settings.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 12.4.2017 at 3:32 PM, Penny Patton said:

Thanks! It's actually really easy. Most SL sky settings are lacking in atmospheric haze, you just need to mess with the atmosphere sliders until there's enough haze off in the distance to to give SL a much needed sense of depth.

There's also the issue with those horrendously exaggerated morning and afternoon shadows of course. Without them, the default day cycle would have been perfectly ok (although a bit bland). With them it's hardly usable at all. :(

On 28.3.2017 at 8:31 PM, Josephine Carissa said:

I don't know if all viewer WL's are the same but my favorite is:

CalWL (firestorm)

That's interesting because it seems quite a few people prefer it and it's a very special one. For those not familiar with CalWL, it's essentially an attempt to emulate how SL would look if there was no windlight at all. Set everything to full bright and you get the same effect (except of course you can't set avatars or the ground or the sky to full bright). I've been told there actually is a way to switch off windlight which gives the same look as CalWL but with a significant lag reduction as a bonus. Does anybody know about that?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.