Objects with 2 menus

MasterJedi Nayar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

6 hours ago, MasterJedi Nayar said:

I think Firestorm is the only viewer (that I have used) that can deal with two menus popping up at the same time.  Why I don't use it anymore, the favorites bar does not save my ordering of said landmarks. 

Have you tried the latest Firestorm 5.0.1 release? The favorite ordering bug should be fixed on it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That sounds like a scripting error.  You should contact the creator of the items and explain the problem.  They may be able to fix it and send you a new and improved object.

I have never heard of an object opening more than one menu at a time though.  Can you make a selection in the one you can access, close it, and then access the one underneath?

Viewer 1, as I recall, used to stack multiple menus one on top of the other, so when you'd finished with one, the other ones were there underneath it.    Since Viewer 2, each new menu dismisses the previous one, and, if I remember correctly, you have to click some little icon down at the bottom right of the screen to get the old one back.

You never need to have two menus open at once, I agree, and it normally happens only when there are two separate scripts in the same object that call llDialog in response to the same event (being touched or sat on or whatever).

Experienced scripters don't usually get themselves into that kind of situation, since it's easy enough to make sure you never have two menus trying to open at the same time -- it's generally a sign that a content creator who doesn't know much about scripting is using two separate pre-written scripts (e.g. a texture changer and resizer) in the same object,

I'm a bit disappointed to learn that Firestorm makes it possible to have multiple menus again.   That's because you're most likely to encounter it in very old content and -- particularly when colour-changers and resizers are involved -- the scripts would benefit from a complete re-write anyway, quite apart from problems with multiple menus, since there are now far more efficient and simulator-friendly scripting methods available than we had back then.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1

That sounds like a scripting error.  You should contact the creator of the items and explain the problem.  They may be able to fix it and send you a new and improved object.

I have never heard of an object opening more than one menu at a time though.  Can you make a selection in the one you can access, close it, and then access the one underneath?

3 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I think Firestorm is the only viewer (that I have used) that can deal with two menus popping up at the same time.  Why I don't use it anymore, the favorites bar does not save my ordering of said landmarks. 

Ok.  If you still see the bug on 5.0.1, please can you share your Favorites folder with me in world & I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Re the original multiple dialog problem - the old V1 based viewers used to support multiple dialogs so it's likely it still works on Singularity and CoolVL viewer too.

Out of the V3 based viewers, I think only Firestorm supports it.

There is an old bug report for the LL viewer here - it's been broken since their V2 viewer - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-27524

1 minute ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Ok.  If you still see the bug on 5.0.1, please can you share your Favorites folder with me in world & I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Re the original multiple dialog problem - the old V1 based viewers used to support multiple dialogs so it's likely it still works on Singularity and CoolVL viewer too.

Out of the V3 based viewers, I think only Firestorm supports it.

There is an old bug report for the LL viewer here - it's been broken since their V2 viewer - https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-27524

I use the Version for Bento... V5, I think.  I will have to do this in the morning.  The only ISP we can get is HughesNet, and saying it sucks would be too weak.  Even their new Gen5 is a joke:  $100 for 30GB/mo plus 50GB bonus (2 am to 8 am local time... in my case EST).  We have Gen4 15GB/mo with the same bonus.  Thank for your help.  Firestorm will work with those objects with 2 menus.  :)

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Just to note that on Firestorm, the default setting for number of script dialogs per object is one per object per channel.
LL viewer is limited to one per object.

5e199564d3034789bf2caba2217b50a2.png

Thank you!  I will remember to set it to "unconstrained."  I do not have many objects with 2 menus, but this will come in handing with those that do.  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.