Substance Painter exporting help <3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1895 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone!

So I have been trying to read up past posts about Substance painter export settings without luck and such because I am struggling with getting a PROPER way to export my work from Substance Painter into Second Life without it looking blehhhh. I have been using the screenshot method from a 4096 quality in Substance, but i always seem to struggle when it comes to keeping the quality of the textures from substance when i import to SL..... (now i understand i will lose some because of the screenshot method not being the best way to work) but ive seen some people create and when they import their work it looks EXACLY the same so obviously there has to be something im not doing right...  but I would really appreciate if someone could guide me properly with a step by step of what the proper export settings are n such because im really just frustrated with this. I have been asking around on social media and noone seems to want to help with this. I would greatly appreciate any help at this point because I seem to have just hit a wall and in the previous posts about this subject on this new forum stuff i don't see any of the media attached previously so its of no help unfortunately.

So any help would be greatly appreciated! Ive just grown very frustrated because I can work with substance no problem, I can work with or without the baked lighting node, depending on whats required, i know enough to get around in the program itself however, i just seem to be at an impass of what needs to be done properly in order to have successful textures in SL. 

Thanks a bunch <3

Faith

• 1 month later...

Hi

Is it happening with all textures you are exporting (and it may help to post what settings you are using e.g. which template / what you are baking / type of material / HDRI background you are using plus if you see better results with filters on etc like the baked lighting you mention.  I have found I still have to do  post work in photoshop for substance exports.

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett

I don't use Substance Painter but some general hints would be to use a HIGH resolution when capturing (or baking) your initial image. The screenshot idea is indeed bad. My monitor resolution is 2560 and I capture "photos" at over 6000 for example (most photographers and bloggers do this  -- well the ones with the pretty pictures.

If you are BAKING in item (such as you would in Blender) then use a high resolution there also (I usually use 500 dpi but not everyone's machine can handle that -- still, as clear as you can get).

Once you have resized your image to 1024 (don't upload at 2048 as you will just get more blur when SL resizes for you) you will most likely need to sharpen somehow to get those lost pixels looking a bit like they did before. This will depend totally on your graphics software options.  I use "High Pass Sharpen" most often and there are adjustments within that I can change depending on need. 

I agree some folks have glorious photos and textures. It COULD be that they simply have a much better computer and newer software :D.  The playing ground is not level. 

Good luck. 

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I agree some folks have glorious photos and textures. It COULD be that they simply have a much better computer and newer software :D.  The playing ground is not level.

Like everything else it's also a question of skills. Hattie Panacek or Ex Machina uses Substance Painter for all her textures and since she's very lag concious, she always tries to keep the resolution down. I doubt you'll find a single 1024x1024 on any of her works and yet her textures look absolutely gorgeous. She's in a class of her own when it comes to making every pixel in a baked texture count but we can all learn fromt he masters to improve out skills.

The first step is what Klytyna told you: scale the textures to the size you are going to use before you upload it. I'm not sure how flexible Substance Painter is there but you probably want to save in twice or four times the resolution you want and then use an image editor, like Gimp, Photshop, Paint.net (if you're on a Windows copmuter) or GraphicConverter (if you're on a Mac) to scale it down. Programs like those offer several different ways to merge the pixel and which one you choose can make a huge difference.

Then of course, just for the sake of completeness, do not use the jpeg file format, save either as png or tga for the final texture and always stick to lossless formats throughout the process. And make sure there are no rogue alphas.

• Thanks 1

If the OP does return you may want to take a look at a tutorial for SP meant for SL.   This one from 20 minutes onwards may give you some tips on how to get things SL ready and the post work in PS needed.  I wasn't sure your issue is export, (I think stating baking at 4096 is a misnomer as you don't state what size you screencap/optimise at for SL for all we know you are doing that already to 1024 or 512 etc in PS).   But this will show you post work e.g. for glass in PS very simple stuff.  It may give you some ideas - from about 20 mins in.  If the only issue you had was 4096 the others above have given you their feedback.

It's from Anya Ohmai 

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Charlotte!!! last i looked this tutorial was down and I had seen this a long time ago n this is exacly what i was looking for... ♥♥ i know Anya does amazing stuff and I have given her some pointers in SP as well but I couldnt get the exporting without blurring for some reason the last bits i was using it. I havent been in SL for quite some time as i have been working on personal projects which havent required me to do any texturing lately and this in return has made my life a bit easier for the time being however, this is the exact solution to the problem i was needing when i posted this months ago as the answer i KNOW is in this very tutorial ♥ thank you for all the responses everyone xo 

• 1 year later...

This has been solved with the latest version of SP which offers a 2D View channel as export in the export configuration.

Export Textures - Configuration - Create a RGB export channel and assign 2D View (in the converted maps bottom right corner) to the export channel.

After 3 years they finally listened and added it.

If you have questions then feel free to poke me in SL.

SP Export for SL.png

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1895 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.