[Phoenix/Firestorm]I don't want to know what viewer everyone else is using

Sion Pearl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was playing with Firestorm recently, and while there are a few things about it that really annoy me, they're mostly easily tweaked (I got my sidebar back, for example).

But the one I can't seem to get around is that thing where you get the type of viewer everyone is using in parentheses after their name. It's intensely annoying and clutters up the screen no end. How do you turn it off? I can't find it in preferences. Am I being dull or is it buried somewhere?

Oh no! Then I might have to talk to the Phoenix developers! :robotsurprised:

But yeah, It's a fair point. I actually went and registered on the Phoenix forums, but they haven't moderated me in yet. I thought I might have a chance here, given that the people here are nicer on the whole, and a lot of people seem to use Phoenix and that.

In the old 1.x based Phoenix viewers, you can disable this in the Preferences under Phoenix --> Page 1 --> Tags --> Display client tags.

I haven't tried the Firestorm viewer myself yet, and won't do so until LL decide to cut 1.x based viewers off from search or the entire grid. But I could imagine that the preferences look similar.

I too dived right into the Firestorm Viewer and checked it out, as I tried V2 and Kirsten and couldn't stand how it is so not user friendly.  I found Firestorm to be much more user friendly, the skin didn't make me feel like I was on some hallucinogen (IE: Kirsten~Oh it made me sick to my tummy trying to do anything in here and I couldnt find the skins to change it), I liked that I could move my boxes around the screen, the chat box had "tabs" and just plain better features that the other 2.  

Suggestions I have to the developers of V2 & Kirsten...

1) Make the default "Skin" normal looking, not all fancy and hard to see anything on the viewer, if someone wants to kill their eyes then let them have to change the skin.

2) Let the "user" have more control over pop up windows, if there is one thing I hate..it is someone trying to control me or the programs I use...Hint, why I'm not into Slavery in SL.

3) Make it easier to use, dont HIDE things...let the USER have the option to hide the content we dont want to see!

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

In the old 1.x based Phoenix viewers, you can disable this in the Preferences under Phoenix --> Page 1 --> Tags --> Display client tags.

I haven't tried the Firestorm viewer myself yet, and won't do so until LL decide to cut 1.x based viewers off from search or the entire grid. But I could imagine that the preferences look similar.

There isn't a page 2 for Firestorm preferences. But "tags" - I'll look for that next time I log in.

Sion Pearl wrote:

I hate the way there's this huge chat window that won't go away, by the way. I wonder if you can disable that thing.

Are you talking about the unified chat window in Firestorm ot the multiple, cluttered communication windows in LL V2? I'd propose to reduce the overal GUI size if the windows are too big, a bigger Monitor might also be helpful....

Jeannie

Jean Horten wrote:

Sion Pearl wrote:

I hate the way there's this huge chat window that won't go away, by the way. I wonder if you can disable that thing.

Are you talking about the unified chat window in Firestorm ot the multiple, cluttered communication windows in LL V2?

I'd propose to reduce the overal GUI size if the windows are too big, a bigger Monitor might also be helpful....

Jeannie

I'm talking about the big chat window in firestorm. I really don't like it, particularly that you can't seem to get rid of it. I don't like that it duplicates local chat. I did actually prefer that you can minimise the individual chat windows down to the little graphics at the bottom right. I would really much rather have one open at a time.I am aware that pretty much everything in Phoenix/Firestorm is designed because of market research with the folks who hated v2, but a lot of the things that some people seem to think of as improvements drive me mental.

I know, I know. I'm some sort of a freak. I mean, I hated Emerald as soon as I tried it (after loads of people were like, "it's awesome") and preferred V2 to 1.23 from the moment the first Beta came out. Go figure.

And no, Linden Lab aren't paying me. I actually genuinely like v2 better, pretty much across the board.

Sion Pearl wrote:

I'm talking about the big chat window in firestorm. I really don't like it, particularly that you can't seem to get rid of it. I don't like that it duplicates local chat. I did actually prefer that you can minimise the individual chat windows down to the little graphics at the bottom right. I would really much rather have one open at a time.I am aware that pretty much everything in Phoenix/Firestorm is designed because of market research with the folks who hated v2, but a lot of the things that some people seem to think of as improvements drive me mental.

I know, I know. I'm some sort of a freak. I mean, I hated Emerald as soon as I tried it (after loads of people were like, "it's awesome") and preferred V2 to 1.23 from the moment the first Beta came out. Go figure. 

It's called the communication box and you aren't the only one that hates it. It is arguably LL's second biggest UI mistake. People have been complaining about it for 4 years now, and you can still find TPVs that use the pre 1.17 UI.

One thing I've noticed is that most people tend to love the UI that they started with. Since the majority of people in sl now started with the communication box they all seem to love it. I on the other hand started with the more minimalistic 1.13.2, and since the way v2 handles chat and IMs is closer to it then any TPV you can guess which I prefer. Obviously there are exceptions to that, plenty of people older than me that prefer Phoenix's tabbed communication box. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

FWIW, I started in lated 2009 with 1.23. I tried Emerald for a bit, on the recommendation of friends and couldn't get on with it (and none of the extra features were things I had uses for).

I guess I'd been in SL for six months when v2 came out and I remember about an hour after downloading the Beta and poking about with it, thinking "I am never going back." Most of the new things added then or since — outfit links, tattoos, multiple layer support, working multiple attachments, display names, favourites on the login screen — are all things that have excited me and made the experience more fun for me.

Similarly anecdotally, I have a RL friend who I got into SL who couldn't manage 1.23, but grasped the basics with v2 almost immediately (there's a very good reason why people call it the "noob viewer", and it's not always disparaging).

I realise that out of the people who post on these forums, she and I are in a tiny minority. I can't tell you why I prefer v.2 so much. I mean, I can tell you what I like about it, but that's different. Like people said, horses for courses. I guess that I'm the sort of person who Linden Labs were thinking of when they started the project.

Void Singer wrote:

that big chat window that repeats local chat is known as the history window (v2 has it as well). ctrl+h should open and close it.

No, I know about that. It's much, much bigger in Firestorm and has all your IMs in it too. I mean, you can undock the IMs, but you can't minimise them. When someone has IMed you, the huge great window pops up and it takes several clicks to make it go away. Having said that, Firestorm isn't a bust at all, and I'm still messing with it. Like I managed to get my sidebar back, made the viewer UI a nice pale blue colour, can take the home tab off the sidebar and make it go away for good. Now if I can only get rid of the client tags, I might be able to deal with the bloody great chat window.

ah sorry then... I was taking a stab at it but not sure.... I haven't tried Firestorm yet, as I'm waiting till it's stabilized with most of the old feature set before I give it a go.... if the IM's just pop up and don't offere a friendly button warning on new IM's that's problematic and would keep me away too (I like control)

the par/emerald/phoenix/firestorm lines are the swiss army knives of viewers... every option you can think of... all right in front of you at once... definitely NOT for all users, but some of those options can quickly become "can't live without"... (for me, the major elements are UI size/control, full region radar, and that wonderful ability to see who's no lnger on the region in the parcel return items list... and absolute blessing for sandbox management)

Paulyta Miles wrote:

its not annoy! some people use malwares viewers, using phoenix or firestorm u can know that =) is for you protection.

I appreciate the reasoning behind it, but we're just going to have to differ. I think it's a pain in the arse.

I mean, I hated Emerald and Phoenix (no comment on the "malware viewer" gag) and thought I'd try Firestorm because it's V2 based and I was curious. I think I might have another go when it's released.

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.