You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Those of you who know me and my previous posts probably remember that I used to complain how the Art, Music and Photography section of these Forums is filled with self promoting posts that are nothing but advertisements. To be more specific, I am not sure how moderators allow people to advertise their magazines and make a new post for every new issue but it is what it is, let them be... I am interested in everyone else who might still hang out around here and maybe would like to read something else, besides these ads ;)

Sooo, can you introduce yourself, what do you do in SL? Which form of art is your art, what you like best, what you dislike, do you have any special in-world places or artists that inspire you, are there any in-world places where we can see your work? Would you be interested in connecting with other Residents and participating in events? 

There is a thread here that showed we do have at least few members who are willing to speak about their work and I would be happy to read more! 

• Like 2

I don't recall the specifics of that thread but I do remember agreeing with a lot of your points and like you—I'd love to see this forum be more focused around open dialogue and less centered around self promotion and advertisements. I'd like the forum to be a resource and my personal belief is that regardless of how much I may know, there is always an opportunity to learn something new.

With that being said, I'm Chase. I am a photographer and I've been in SL since 2011. For my photography work I mainly use Photoshop to do my postwork. I previously did retouching in RL on the side so my experience with that carried over into SL and how I approach editing subjects. I would say my biggest inspiration came from Graphic Dix. I don't believe he is around any longer but I always thoroughly enjoyed the content and technical beauty of his work.

I'd be happy to help any way I can.9_9

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chase01 said:

I don't recall the specifics of that thread but I do remember agreeing with a lot of your points and like you—I'd love to see this forum be more focused around open dialogue and less centered around self promotion and advertisements. I'd like the forum to be a resource and my personal belief is that regardless of how much I may know, there is always an opportunity to learn something new.

With that being said, I'm Chase. I am a photographer and I've been in SL since 2011. For my photography work I mainly use Photoshop to do my postwork. I previously did retouching in RL on the side so my experience with that carried over into SL and how I approach editing subjects. I would say my biggest inspiration came from Graphic Dix. I don't believe he is around any longer but I always thoroughly enjoyed the content and technical beauty of his work.

I'd be happy to help any way I can.9_9

Hello nice to meet you Chase! I remember his work, was one of those "picky perfectionists" that you could just stare at and admire :)

Do you have Flickr or something else to share, where we could see your photos? Do you participate in any community? I kinda miss that, that feeling of belonging to some kind of a group where we can meet like-minded people and share everything. I miss that here too lol

• Like 1

Greetings, I’m Cameron Cove. I’m a novice Second Life photographer and I would like to express my gratitude to Linden Labs for creating this forum. I enjoy reading and learning about other people’s work because they provide me with examples of what is possible, so I don’t mind posts that some people might view as self promotion. Whenever anyone talks about their work it’s self promotion, but this doesn’t mean there is nothing that can’t be learned by this. I would also like to thank Othella for posting links to the tutorials on her website. I found them very helpful. I would also like to thank the MAGE Magazine creative team for welcoming me to their group and helping me get art exhibitions at the Rose Theatre and Art Gallery and the Blue Bird Cafe. These exhibitions were only supposed to last a month but my images are still on the walls so either they really like my snapshots or they just forgot to take them down. Either way I invite you to drop by and take a look. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CameronCove said:
Greetings, I’m Cameron Cove. I’m a novice Second Life photographer and I would like to express my gratitude to Linden Labs for creating this forum. I enjoy reading and learning about other people’s work because they provide me with examples of what is possible, so I don’t mind posts that some people might view as self promotion. Whenever anyone talks about their work it’s self promotion, but this doesn’t mean there is nothing that can’t be learned by this. I would also like to thank Othella for posting links to the tutorials on her website. I found them very helpful. I would also like to thank the MAGE Magazine creative team for welcoming me to their group and helping me get art exhibitions at the Rose Theatre and Art Gallery and the Blue Bird Cafe. These exhibitions were only supposed to last a month but my images are still on the walls so either they really like my snapshots or they just forgot to take them down. Either way I invite you to drop by and take a look. 

I feel like reading the transcript of the Oscar winning speech :D 

• Like 2

My name is Talitha, I attempt to create art in SL by taking snapshots in-world, and then running them through a variety of computer programs to create an image that looks like a painting. I then offer up these images for sale in my galleries in various places in Second Life. I am not sure any of my stuff is any good, though I do have some fans who would swear that it is. It is my goal to eventually advance to the point that what I do is truly art, and not just pretty pictures to decorate prim walls.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I am not sure any of my stuff is any good, though I do have some fans who would swear that it is. It is my goal to eventually advance to the point that what I do is truly art, and not just pretty pictures to decorate prim walls.

We all feel like or felt this... I'm never sure is what I do okay or not okay and it can always be better... I guess if there are people who like what we do then its okay ;) or people who buy it lol

Thanks for introducing yourself but I don't know why you didn't show any example? I would love to see some of those paintings! Cameron put some links and I would love to see more, I think we are allowed to do this here now. If not links then at least a photo or two would be nice to share ^_^

• Like 1

@Talligurl ooo wow...

I like it, thanks for sharing!, looks like something I could hang on the wall in my SL home... ;) 

The lines here are perfectly alligned with the edge of the painting and with the woman and everything is really, really balanced... now I would like to try and make something like that lol

• Like 2

Real art should make the viewer think, a pretty picture doesn't need to. I want to engage the viewer on a mental and an emotional level not just being pleasing visually. In fact often when you do that the work becomes less pleasing to look at, because often it brings up thoughts and emotions the viewer would rather just keep hidden, but that is the artists job, to bring all that out and make people deal with it.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily agree that real art "should" make a viewer think. As with music, some songs provoke deeper thought and some are just entertaining and fun to listen too. What a viewer sees when they look at an image is unique to them. Our past association with something, current frame of mind and many other things lead to what is seen or heard. I think the best artists create works they love and let their audiences relate to that image in their own way.

• Like 3

"Real art" is often a product of someone's interpretation... what one person calls art the other might not see it as one. I expect to recognize a certain level of effot thats put into the creation, or knowledge, experience... 

I use Wacom intuos small tablet, for my needs its perfect. 

• Like 1

Hi all, Im Cheri and I like taking photos. I wish I could turn them into art but not sure how its done. I guess Im not an artist but someone who loves capturing SL with a camera. I dont use a studio but take inspiration from inworld. I like entering competition, mainly for the challenge/theme. My Flickr account is called PulpFictionStudio cause there I post a mishmash of escapist photos  I have taken. I did think people in flickr would discuss more about the photos/content than they do. It would be good to get feedback and learn techniques. Recently I was given the LUMIPro hud so Im learning to use that too. 

• Like 2

I can't spell Madelaine, so I usually go by "Maddy" and will also answer to "Madi, Maddie, MadBagLady, and Hey Sexy".

Because I'm a glutton for attention and have no particular artistic skills, I mostly do graffiti. I'm rarely in-world these days, but when I was, I did stuff like this...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58030004@N06/albums/72157641024780964

In many cases, there's a link to the original below the caption. Sometimes only the creator of the original artwork will understand what I've done, and sometimes nobody does. I don't care.

I also opened a soul cleansing service after noticing how filthy my friends were getting theirs here in SL...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/58030004@N06/albums/72157626488154798

• Like 3

Hi there. I'm R. Crap Mariner. (The R stands for Robot, but I do not follow Asimov's Three Laws.)

I'm a writer and storyteller, and I've been podcasting microfiction for over a decade. http://oneadayuntilthedayidie.com/

Also, I've gotten into snapping photos of dance troupes in Second Life. https://www.flickr.com/isfullofcrap/ - I've set the right SpaceNavigator button as a shutter to make things easier.

• Like 2

On 25/03/2017 at 6:56 AM, Talligurl said:

i was on my computer at work where i do't have anything :) here is one of my latest.

Window Dreams.jpg

Tim and I visited your gallery yesterday Tali....this picture was a favourite of his too (as well as the boat ones). 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.