spam

Alwin Alcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is a new forum and LL is still in the process of evaluating and adjusting it. I think we just need a bit patience to see if they can actually prevent this sort of spam from happening. Prevention is always better than cure :) So let's not be too critical at the moment. This particular spambot may turn out to have done a good service to the forum, by causing LL to implement a method of preventing it. If it can't be prevented with this software then, yes, some sort of 24/7 coverage would be highly desirable.

• Administrators

Unfortunately with the use of a new system, also comes the use of new settings. I apologize for the spam that everyone had to endure and it at this time has hopefully been fully cleaned up.

In our efforts to better protect the community from this sort of experience we will be further adjusting our internal controls and doing all that we can to prevent this in the future.

• Like 10

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yep, it does feel good to see you Linden folk. It's a lot harder to complain about you when you're here.

;-).

I am always here, except when I am sleeping, unfortunately they haven't figured out how to fix it yet so that I never have to sleep.

• Like 5

The "Ignore User" Feature is suppose to hide posts from users I don't want to see posts from.  Is there a waiting time for those posts to disappear?  Is it retroactive?  I tried ignoring the spam posters today, but their posts still show up.  I clicked all the boxes and updated preferences.  They show up in my ignored user area as being ignored.  Since I've never ignored or blocked or muted anyone, I am not sure if I missed a step somewhere.

• Administrators

Thankfully, I do have people around when I sleep! We have made some additional adjustments and will see how they handle and continue to adjust from there. I assure you, I am as dedicated to stopping the spam, as you all are to reporting and posting about it! :D

• Like 4

I've mentioned this during previous spam attacks in Lithium forums, but it bears mentioning again.

Over at SLU, Cristiano (the site owner) quietly gives selected forum regulars the ability to ban spammers with accounts less than a month old.   It doesn't actually ban anyone, but it does hide all their posts and all threads started by them, and removes their ability to post anything else.  Cris then reviews the ban when he gets a chance and either makes it permanent or rescinds it.   

Cris makes it very clear that this power is to be used responsibly, for spam posts only, and that people who have this power aren't allowed to use it for any other purpose -- they have to report in the normal way any other posts they think are breaking forum rules.

It works very well, and people don't abuse it.  

• Like 2

• Administrators

@Innula Zenovka Thank you for that feedback, I will certainly keep it in mind, but I would much prefer to just completely put a stop the spam entirely. I am on a mission here.

@Whirly Fizzle I agree it would be helpful if it no longer showed them in your unread items, while I do not see this as an option, I will happily submit it as a feature request to IPS.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.