Keep losing mesh head when tping somewhere

SaaraZenn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi

Seems lately when i tp somewhere I lose my mesh head. I see it on myself but nobody else does. So i have to relog and then they see it.

I am on Firestorm 5.0.1.52150 and my graphics card is new Nvidia GeForce 940MX

This mainly happens when I tp one place and maybe stay there only a 10-20 seconds then tp to a  second place. Then my face is like "left behind" lmao. 

13 answers to this question

it's most likely not your viewer or system.

Sometimes these things with mesh parts happen when there are multiple items attached to the same point of your body.

Try attaching parts that use the same point as your head to another spot and see what happens.

If it doesn't help, others might post more ideas to solve it here

• Like 2

Another thing to check is where it is attached. If too many things are on the same point, this can happen.  The default location is your right hand so that is the most commonly overused attachment point.  If your mesh is attached to your hand, try moving it somewhere closer to your head like your nose, chin or even an ear attachment point.

• Like 2

I've had similar problems in the last couple or three weeks, and not from 'over used ' attachment points, viewer is the same one i've been using since before xmas, so... I suspect some recent minor 'improvement' to server code, maybe check if this happens mainly when entering or leaving RC channel sims

Another contributor to teleport related problems is the number of scripts you are wearing. You can get a Script Weight/Counter device. There are free ones in the market place.

Once you have one, check the number and 'size' of the scripts you have attached. The total size (amount of memory used) is the more important. Less of both is better. Many consider 3MB the memory limit and something like 30 scripts reasonable.

Also, ACI can prove to be a problem when teleporting. A way high ACI can cause problems. ACI in the range of 500k and less shouldn't be much of a problem for a teleport. In general ACI should be <=100k. But, a good machine will deal with <=350k easily and generally should not create TP problems.

Also, depending on the head it could be very heavy mesh. Anything that is very heavy (I even had jeans once but more often shoes when mesh was new) can be left behind.  If it is a name brand head then that is unlikely but there are SOME pretty well known ones out there that have issues and have been talked about here.

Check your Avatar Rendering Complexity. If it is  a lot more than 3500 (no issues with that) it could be the head. 

Here is an article from awhile back that might help: http://chicatphilsplace.blogspot.com/2016/08/jellydolls-and-avatar-rendering-costs.html

If you are using Firestorm viewer, under AVATAR HEALTH there is an option to refresh attachments. That will usually fix this. However, on the rare occasions when people appear headless or torsoless on my screen, I chalk it up to a slow connection on my end. If I wait long enough, the missing parts eventually appear. I would never tell someone they are headless, as it would be my problem not the headless person's.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nikolai Warden said:

If you are using Firestorm viewer, under AVATAR HEALTH there is an option to refresh attachments. That will usually fix this. However, on the rare occasions when people appear headless or torsoless on my screen, I chalk it up to a slow connection on my end. If I wait long enough, the missing parts eventually appear. I would never tell someone they are headless, as it would be my problem not the headless person's.

Sometimes it IS the headless person's problem.  I will often say something like, "excuse me, but on my screen your head seems to be missing.  Do you see yourself OK?"

• Like 1

yes, Lindal, sometimes it is the headless person's issue. However, I have noticed that when someone is headless, eventually they tend to show up properly. Also, many people have not updated to a Bento enabled viewer, so Bento heads will never show up.

My aversion to telling people they are in some way distorted to my view  goes back to the days when I would go some place and half the people there would IM me and say OMG OMG YOU ARE RUTHED!!!! RELOG RELOG. The ones who did not IM me, I would ask if I looked ruthed and they said no, you look fine to me, so I chose not to worry about it. I found it rather intrusive actually, people taking photos and sending them to me and the like.  I have seen people in a a virtual panic because someone has told them they look this way or that way and they relog over and over again hoping to fix it, when others see them as they are meant to be, body parts and clothing intact.  

... half the people there would IM me and say OMG OMG YOU ARE RUTHED!!!! RELOG RELOG. 

This is why HOW you bring up the issue is very important.  You don't yet know on whose side the problem is, and the way you word your comment to the other person should reflect that, to avoid panic, or annoyance.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.