You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi folks, bit of a specific question here:

I've found a vehicle that, due to the nature of the SL engine and sizes of sims etc, is modeled in half scale from its RL counterpart. I am curious as to whether there's a half scale AV anywhere that I can use so I can be proportional to the vehicle while I am using it.

I know about Yabusaka petites, but those are 1/3 scale, I am specifically looking for 1/2 scale.

Thanks!

????

This is NOT the norm. I have a variety of cars and motorcycles etc and they are all made for standard size avatars. I am not sure what "do to the nature of SL" means. Sims are not large if you are driving but there are many areas with contiguous roads and much of mainland is drivable also.

Since it looks like you are new (I didn't check your profile), I suggest you shop a bit more rather than looking for an avatar to fit a car. 

Head shaking a bit but I got a chuckle anyway. 

Good luck!

15 hours ago, Karl Fredericks said:

I am curious as to whether there's a half scale AV anywhere that I can use so I can be proportional to the vehicle while I am using it.

I'm a bit curious as to as to the specifics of scale we're talking. Most human avatars in SL are anywhere from 6' to 9' tall and it's common for  content creators to scale items like furniture and cars up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 2:1 scale. So a car half the size of the typical SL vehicle would be pretty close to 1:1 scale and it's easy to shrink your own avatar down to that size if you read up on the quirks of shape making and the appearance editor.

However, taking it at face value that we're really looking at a 1:2 scale vehicle...hmmm, I don't know of any avatars made for that size.  I'd love to know if you find anything. In the meantime, you can probably get away with an invisible avatar (Go to your inventory, right click and create a new alpha mask, then select everything to make your whole body invisible), then at least you won't have an oversized avatar bursting out of the car, or looking like a Shriner in a parade.

14 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

"do to the nature of SL" means. Sims are not large if you are driving but there are many areas with contiguous roads and much of mainland is drivable also.

I can take a stab at what they mean.

If you reduce the size of your perspective you effectively increase the size of the environment around you. If you can reduce your avatar to half the size you currently are, then, to you, it is exactly the same as increasing the land area around you. One sim effectively has the space of four sims.

This also increases your sense of speed by the same amount and, perhaps most importantly, reduces or eliminates the issue of sim crossings. At 1:2 scale you effective have the area of four sims with no border crossings and your car can go twice as fast without being impossible to control.

I use the same idea when designing sims (except by  building closer to 1:1 scale when most people build closer to double scale) to allow me to create larger, more detailed environments.

Edited by Penny Patton

3 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

I'm a bit curious as to as to the specifics of scale we're talking. Most human avatars in SL are anywhere from 6' to 9' tall and it's common for  content creators to scale items like furniture and cars up to somewhere in the neighborhood of 2:1 scale. So a car half the size of the typical SL vehicle would be pretty close to 1:1 scale and it's easy to shrink your own avatar down to that size if you read up on the quirks of shape making and the appearance editor.

However, taking it at face value that we're really looking at a 1:2 scale vehicle...hmmm, I don't know of any avatars made for that size.  I'd love to know if you find anything. In the meantime, you can probably get away with an invisible avatar (Go to your inventory, right click and create a new alpha mask, then select everything to make your whole body invisible), then at least you won't have an oversized avatar bursting out of the car, or looking like a Shriner in a parade.

I can take a stab at what they mean.

If you reduce the size of your perspective you effectively increase the size of the environment around you. If you can reduce your avatar to half the size you currently are, then, to you, it is exactly the same as increasing the land area around you. One sim effectively has the space of four sims.

This also increases your sense of speed by the same amount and, perhaps most importantly, reduces or eliminates the issue of sim crossings. At 1:2 scale you effective have the area of four sims with no border crossings and your car can go twice as fast without being impossible to control.

I use the same idea when designing sims (except by  building closer to 1:1 scale when most people build closer to double scale) to allow me to create larger, more detailed environments.

Yes, I got that being smaller makes the world seem larger thing --- but then the whole world seems larger. I bet your remember the Greenies sims where EVERYTHING WAS SO BIG  LOL.   

I have done a lot of racing on Opensim == where land area isn't at a premium and agree it is very nice to have room, but in order for that to work well (or at least well for me ) the rest of the environment would need scaling down also. Doable sure but very limiting so far as having friends over etc :D

Sure, but if you have a sim and build yourself a 1:2 scale racing environment specifically for that purpose, there you go. You've gotten a much better experience and a lot more bang for your buck. In places like the old mainland vehicle sandbox sims, where there's not much of an environment to speak of, just the open road, you again get a better experience just by scaling down.

Like I said, I use this in building and even just reducing content down to about 1:1 scale gives you so much more space and detail to play with. Sometimes I invite people over to my mainland home, a 4096sq.m. parcel and have fun just blowing their minds by showing them how much stuff I have there.

This entire town is smaller than some houses in SL, but when you're standing in the middle of it, it sure doesn't feel that way, even if your avatar is a typical 7' tall.

28350162646_d85f5aea2a_b.thumb.jpg.3702509af19a917171c7a3fd2ee0bb31.jpg

28095207310_d1cdb0f144_b.thumb.jpg.3eb370631f9ba0bea64145abeb702c5d.jpg

28297775641_93354aef24_b.thumb.jpg.0324e0064bee529f033a0e7515ca1e47.jpg

Edited by Penny Patton

18 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

????

This is NOT the norm. I have a variety of cars and motorcycles etc and they are all made for standard size avatars. I am not sure what "do to the nature of SL" means. Sims are not large if you are driving but there are many areas with contiguous roads and much of mainland is drivable also.

Since it looks like you are new (I didn't check your profile), I suggest you shop a bit more rather than looking for an avatar to fit a car. 

Head shaking a bit but I got a chuckle anyway. 

Good luck!

Ah, I realize I wasn't being super clear, but this isn't a vehicle like a car. This is a WWII ship which was 119 meters long IRL and was scaled down to not lag up a sim and also to ensure that it's not insanely cumbersome in combat and normal sailing. 

Right now, "normal" size AVs look fine, and you have the option to deform yourself to fit inside the hull if you want, but I'm dreaming of having half scale AVs manning the half scale guns, walking the deck, etc for RP purposes.

Edited by Karl Fredericks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Karl Fredericks said:

Ah, I realize I wasn't being super clear, but this isn't a vehicle like a car. This is a WWII ship which was 119 meters long IRL and was scaled down to not lag up a sim and also to ensure that it's not insanely cumbersome in combat and normal sailing. 

Right now, "normal" size AVs look fine, and you have the option to deform yourself to fit inside the hull if you want, but I'm dreaming of having half scale AVs manning the half scale guns, walking the deck, etc for RP purposes.

Ahhhhh. That make MUCH more sense. Thanks for the clarification.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2591 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.