Firestorm 5.0.1 (52150) problem with photos

IvyThePoisson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, i have strange issue when taking photos. When turn on ultra, and of course shadows and AO, inworld and in snapshot window i can see shadows and all, but when save photo on my drive shadows are gone, also ambient oclusion. My saved photos look like they are taken on mid settings but in high resolution, while inworld all looks fine.

My computers specs:

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor              (3515.9 MHz)
Memory: 16367 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1429

Would really appreciate if someone could help me with this :)

13 answers to this question

Shadows save just fine in my viewer when sna[shotting to disk, are you using the full snapshot window or the keyboard shorftcut for the quick 'autosave to disk varietiy. Could well be a Firestorm only problem, try a different viewer and see if it's in that too, say Black Dragon, which has very good render quality, with improved shaders.

I am using full snapshot, and in preview i can see shadows and all. Yes, Black dragon is great viewer, but, unfortunately as far as i know, do not  support bento. Tried with singularity, and there is all fine on photo, but quality is much much lower then firestorm, even on ultra.

The first question most tech guys ask is "have you updated your graphics driver"?  

That being said it could be an AMD issue since SL and AMD have never played well together and many of us have switched to Nvidia cards for that reason. I had tons of issues with Win7 and AMD long ago -- only with Second Life :D. 

One thing you might try is just taking a screenshot with Print Screen and see what you get. This won't garner a high resolution (5000 pixel ish) shot of course. 

Just now, Chic Aeon said:

The first question most tech guys ask is "have you updated your graphics driver"?  

That being said it could be an AMD issue since SL and AMD have never played well together and many of us have switched to Nvidia cards for that reason. I had tons of issues with Win7 and AMD long ago -- only with Second Life :D. 

One thing you might try is just taking a screenshot with Print Screen and see what you get. This won't garner a high resolution (5000 pixel ish) shot of course. 

I was just about to post screenshots lol.... I am not a tech person, but i think that screenshots will explain why i think drivers are not problem. So..

This is how i see snapshot preview : https://gyazo.com/ee72256ca6beafc2b941854f474e24d6

This is how i see in client view : https://gyazo.com/94833e457c2024a56c141d3d3d43d365

And this is screenshot of photo saved on drive : https://gyazo.com/a4bb839b042321c6007c2bc005e02781

Other then this issue, i dont have other problems in sl and client.

OK. I understood what you were saying :D.   

There might be an AMD "bug" in the JIRAs on this problem. I don't watch the JIRAS so someone that does will have to reply. 

Sometimes in the past there have been problems with the Linden Lab viewer that have been included in Firestorm. Have you tried the Linden Viewer to see if it has the same issue? If it does then that could certainly be the case. 

And unfortunately just because things work in another viewer doesn't mean it ISN'T a driver issue :D. So that is still in the possibilities.  And what happened with the print screen capture?  

Good luck and hopefully someone will know where to point you if there is a Linden issue that translated into a FS issue. 

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I use Firestorm 5.0.1 64-bit, Win 10 Pro and regularly take 3000px snaps. See: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nalates/

I have an NVIDIA GTX 1060. So, it may well be a video problem. Search on your driver version to see if you can find others with problems. You may need to update or roll back a version or two.

I agree it may be the graphics card or driver but the OP is looking for a viewer that will take pictures with shadows AND see Bento, so rolling back isn't going to work.   I suggested they try the Linden viewer to see if there was the same issue. They didn't write back so maybe it got solved.

Firestorm 5.0.1 is Bento capable. The current Linden viewer has some minor features that Firestorm does not. Everything needed by Ivy is in FS.

As Ivy is using 5.0.1 and it isn't working. It works for others. So, the problem is likely the video card or driver. With AMD the latest driver is not always the best for SL. So, it is common practice to roll back the video driver to one that worked. People search this form for their video model and see what the latest is from those using it.

Hi all, and thanks for answers. Problem with Firestorm is still mistery for me, tried with drivers ( everything got worse, crashed even before i could take pic so rolled back to previous), smaller photo sizes and problem remains.. Downloaded newest Black dragon viewer ( wich now does support bento, yayyy), and all is fine, problem solved. But really interesting thing is that even on highest settings on Black dragon i have much less lag then on FS, and BD is concidered as very heavy client... Again, thank you all for help :))

On 3/23/2017 at 6:01 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

I use Firestorm 5.0.1 64-bit, Win 10 Pro and regularly take 3000px snaps. See: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nalates/

I have an NVIDIA GTX 1060. So, it may well be a video problem. Search on your driver version to see if you can find others with problems. You may need to update or roll back a version or two.

Nalates, I don't see the benefit of taking snapshots with more pixels than your monitor can display.  I would not think the resolution would be improved.  After all, a snapshot is just a form of screen capture.  Or am I wrong?

You are right.

But, the additional resolution allows me to crop the image and take just small parts of it to use for a final image. Also, if I go to paper, I need 150-300px per inch. An 8x10 paper picture in photographic rez requires a 2,400x3,000px image. Some people on Flickr are selling paper prints.

When editing the picture in Photoshop to create something like AvatArt's  (50% NSFW) images you need all those extra pixels to get smooth color transitions. Work on a large image and you can be a bit sloppy. When the image is reduced down to web-display-size all the little mistakes disappear and the image looks way better.

• Like 1

I often shoot against a solid color background to do chroma-key cutouts to insert myself or SL objects in other people's photographs. The cutout tools work a lot better if you do that at higher-than-display resolution, then scale down. Errors in the edge detection are less noticeable and photoshop's antialiasing is much better than SL's.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.