• 0
SAULGOODiE

Forum Post Vanished

Question

Wondering if anyone else has experienced disappearing threads in this new forum setup.

Yesterday morning I made a lengthy post in "Favorite Destinations" regarding my latest project. The post went public just fine, saw approx. 30 views and even a "Like" by the end of the night.

I went to check the post this morning, and the thread is gone. Not moved elsewhere, completely removed. The thread has vanished from "Favorite Destinations", and there is only this error code when I follow the notification link. 

Can anyone tell me what is happening? I haven't used the forum much since the re-design, and this is making me want to use it even less. Is this just a glitch? Did I violate some terms I knew nothing about? This is not my first rodeo, so i'm just looking for some clues/answers.

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 1.56.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-20 at 1.56.01 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 answers to this question

  • 0

Posted (edited)

seems that reported posts for inapropriate content... and also seen as such by the mods simply are removed.

In the old forums you got a email it happened, but seems that's not send in the new set up.

Might be the issue here too?

 

[edit] favorite destinations is meant for sharing places that are not your own... putting your own in it might get reported as advertisement.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

seems that reported posts for inapropriate content... and also seen as such by the mods simply are removed.

In the old forums you got a email it happened, but seems that's not send in the new set up.

Might be the issue here too?

Hey Alwin, thank you good sir. I am curious, is there a list somewhere with specified "Inappropriate Content"? 

I honestly find it funny, seeing as the Thread immediately following my post was searching for BDSM clubs. My post was advertising a Library where residents can find Destinations like Churches or Parks. I am at a loss trying to justify a "Inappropriate" flagging.

And yes, I received no alert or email, so I really have no clue if this was done specifically by a mod, an automated system, or like I mentioned a possible Glitch. 

End of the day, its bloody frustrating......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Posted (edited)

Well I think I was the person who liked it - but it is possible that LL saw it as a threat to their own version of the Destination Guide.  But for sure if you had violated any rule you would have had a message from whoever is moderating to say so. 

Maybe it will reappear and it is just a glitch. 

Edited: I was composing while you were sending Alwin, so I appear to have repeated slightly what you said. Oops (no delete button?). 

 

Edited by Marigold Devin
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, Marigold Devin said:

Well I think I was the person who liked it - but it is possible that LL saw it as a threat to their own version of the Destination Guide.  But for sure if you had violated any rule you would have had a message from whoever is moderating to say so. 

Maybe it will reappear and it is just a glitch. 

Hello Marigold, thank you for the "Like" hehe :-D 

Now that is interesting. LL thinking my creation is muscling in on their Destination Guide Territory...... because that is exactly what im doing. The Destination guide is a relic, I created my Library as a resident-driven solution to maintain a database of actual OPEN and interesting Sims. I guess I just cannot see how they could be threatened by little ol me and my tiny parcel project!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Marigold Devin said:

  But for sure if you had violated any rule you would have had a message from whoever is moderating to say so.

i'm not so sure about that, there were several posts about deleted posts already, and nobody got a message about the reason.

Also moved threads were always marked as such in the old settings, now it's just moved.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, SAULGOODiE said:

Hello Marigold, thank you for the "Like" hehe :-D 

Now that is interesting. LL thinking my creation is muscling in on their Destination Guide Territory...... because that is exactly what im doing. The Destination guide is a relic, I created my Library as a resident-driven solution to maintain a database of actual OPEN and interesting Sims. I guess I just cannot see how they could be threatened by little ol me and my tiny parcel project!

I'll tell you specifically what I liked about your idea - the fact that any out of date landmarks would be removed, so you wouldn't be giving out folders of dead landmarks. And for sure some people would take great joy in revisiting the landmarks to check they were there - something I really ought to get round to doing with my own inventory; a lot of my own landmarks are dead :(

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Marigold Devin said:

I'll tell you specifically what I liked about your idea - the fact that any out of date landmarks would be removed, so you wouldn't be giving out folders of dead landmarks. And for sure some people would take great joy in revisiting the landmarks to check they were there - something I really ought to get round to doing with my own inventory; a lot of my own landmarks are dead :(

Well thank you for that, Marigold! I felt strongly about that too, SL is a place that changes almost as fast as the water in a river, it only makes sense to have a tool that is as flexible and the environment it promotes..... 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

i'm not so sure about that, there were several posts about deleted posts already, and nobody got a message about the reason.

Also moved threads were always marked as such in the old settings, now it's just moved.

Well really, Alwin, all we can do is guess, as none of us really know what is going on behind these forums currently. 

Maybe (maybe) whoever is moderating these forums so far are giving us some "get out of jail cards" free for the first couple of weeks while we all get over the initial giddy-about-the-new-forums phase - letting a few swear words and inappropriate posts get through without suspending or reprimanding anyone just yet.  

New forums - maybe they need to put out a new "terms and conditions" for us all to read before we enter them, to be sure we know what is and isn't allowed - like they do from time to time with Second Life  in world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, SAULGOODiE said:

Well thank you for that, Marigold! I felt strongly about that too, SL is a place that changes almost as fast as the water in a river, it only makes sense to have a tool that is as flexible and the environment it promotes..... 

Way back in 2008, someone gave me a HUD that took me to random places. It was fabulous; lots of landmarks to visit. And we actually got paid a few linden dollars for doing so.  It no longer exists; disappeared a long time ago (Hoppy Pay it was called), and after we had visited a place, we had to click on something to rate the place and to say what type of place it was (ie private residence, roleplay area, whatever it was).  

I think with the official Destination Guide, residents can feel quite disappointed when the viewer suggests popular places to visit, yet there is absolutely no one there when you go.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, Marigold Devin said:

Way back in 2008, someone gave me a HUD that took me to random places. It was fabulous; lots of landmarks to visit. And we actually got paid a few linden dollars for doing so.  It no longer exists; disappeared a long time ago (Hoppy Pay it was called), and after we had visited a place, we had to click on something to rate the place and to say what type of place it was (ie private residence, roleplay area, whatever it was).  

I think with the official Destination Guide, residents can feel quite disappointed when the viewer suggests popular places to visit, yet there is absolutely no one there when you go.  

 

Sounds like the InWorldz exploring HUD! I can dig it! Certainly wished there was something that existed like that nowadays, "Art Galleries of Second Life" have a nice kiosk/hud setup but of course it is limited to Art destinations.

And I could not agree more about resident disappointment. More often than not, residents are using the in-browser destination guide, which is 75% empty and old fluff (excluding the Current Events and Editors Picks of course). Residents really deserve much better tools to explore this rich world, and myself being a resident could not sit back and watch the nonsense happen without doing my own thing haha :D

All I really want is to share the amazing things and places SL has to offer, I do not think LL should have a monopoly on curation seeing as us residents create most of the actual content. I am going to keep praying this is a Glitch, because if my project is really frowned upon by LL, I have some serious thinking to do regarding my premium payments lol 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
11 hours ago, SAULGOODiE said:

, because if my project is really frowned upon by LL,

everybody can report a thread, and if the mods agree it will get removed, or moved.

In spite ..or thanks to, the guidelines there is a very broad interpretation of the rules, so when a rule allows interpretation it can go two ways.

A good example for this is the employment/wanted section : There is a adult section at the bttm of the forums, but all whores prostitutes with web cams, escorts and adult clubs can freely post in the general part of the forums. The guidelines don't allow that when i read it, but it's common use....

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
17 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Well really, Alwin, all we can do is guess, as none of us really know what is going on behind these forums currently. 

Maybe (maybe) whoever is moderating these forums so far are giving us some "get out of jail cards" free for the first couple of weeks while we all get over the initial giddy-about-the-new-forums phase - letting a few swear words and inappropriate posts get through without suspending or reprimanding anyone just yet.  

New forums - maybe they need to put out a new "terms and conditions" for us all to read before we enter them, to be sure we know what is and isn't allowed - like they do from time to time with Second Life  in world.

William of Ockham suggests that inexperience or incompetence is usually a more likely explanation

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Talking directly to Lindens right now. Being told my post was in violation of their Community Post Guidelines. I disagree completely and am currently arguing my case. If I cant make a simple post, i will find somewhere else to spend my time than in this *****ing mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 21/03/2017 at 4:53 PM, SAULGOODiE said:

Talking directly to Lindens right now. Being told my post was in violation of their Community Post Guidelines. I disagree completely and am currently arguing my case. If I cant make a simple post, i will find somewhere else to spend my time than in this *****ing mess. 

I'm not sure how your post was in violation of their community post guidelines, BUT if it was a case of you treading on their toes by having a similar system inworld to their Destination Guide, then I would be annoyed, because, after all,  they have no objection to people creating whole new avatar parts and whole avatars to replace their system ones - and those that do make money out of it, whereas your alternative landmarks store would appear to be free of charge, just spreading some joy. 

Or am I missing something?

Anyway, good luck.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks for all the help, folks! Hashed things out with the Lindens and now the post is back public ^___^ Thank everyone for their 2 cents <3 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now