This need looking into

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

These weird and crazy characters people are putting in their names is causing havoc for people trying to ban trolls and persistent people that are a nuisance, the sim owners are sometimes given names that cannot be searched, here is an example of a first name only,  how is someone meant to search this     "㊝IIĴŐŨŞĖ "

5 minutes ago, greek Wingtips said:

These weird and crazy characters people are putting in their names is causing havoc for people trying to ban trolls and persistent people that are a nuisance, the sim owners are sometimes given names that cannot be searched, here is an example of a first name only,  how is someone meant to search this     "㊝IIĴŐŨŞĖ "

if i'm not wrong, that is just a display name.. those aren't used for bans, but usernames are... it's simply a setting in your preferences to see also, or only, or together, the display and username

Showing or hiding others' display names

To show or hide display names inworld, both in chat and over all avatars:

1. Log into Second Life.
  2. Choose Me > Preferences from the top menu.
  3. Click the General tab.
  4. Select the View Display Names checkbox. If the box is checked, display names are shown. If the box is unchecked, display names are hidden.
  5. Click OK.

===================

If my memory is correct this is out dated.   There are other options on that tab regarding display name use.  But that's still where you set your preferences.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Showing or hiding others' display names

To show or hide display names inworld, both in chat and over all avatars:

1. Log into Second Life.
  2. Choose Me > Preferences from the top menu.
  3. Click the General tab.
  4. Select the View Display Names checkbox. If the box is checked, display names are shown. If the box is unchecked, display names are hidden.
  5. Click OK.

===================

Rhonda and Alwin are spot on. :D

Usernames are also visible if you view the person's profile.

Now, I haven't used Firestorm or the LL viewer regularly in a long time, but if I remember correctly, even if you choose not to display usernames at all, you will still see an avatar's username next to their display name in IM windows, any sort of transaction window or popup, in the edit window if you try to edit one of the avatar's objects or attachments, and even in the little window that pops up if you just place your mouse cursor over that avatar.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.