How do i put a picture of the land on the map view?

kenneth Sandalwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

The easier answer may be that your region has a landscape screen surrounding it, maybe to make it look as if it has a mountain range around it.  A screen like that will always make the region look like a gray square from above.  If you really want a photo. kill the screen.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kenneth Sandalwood said:

Wondering how/where to take/edit a picture of the top down view as seen on the maps, the land i manage just shows up as a gray square on the map.

Hello, kenneth.

If you own the land, and you want the landmark for your land to show your land as from above, you click on the land details and edit the photo there.

If you are wanting the land to show up on the world map as something other than a grey square, it will show up all the buildings you have at ground level next time the map is updated (which is regularly/daily).

If you are wanting the land to show something else, for example "Land Rentals" then you'd need to delve into the world of sky writing/sky art and ensure this is placed somewhere below/around 300m, then when the Second Life pilot is doing his rounds photographing all, this will be captured.

Edited to say:

If the land is showing up as a grey square, it could be because there is already a large prim/set of prims, set somewhere up in the sky that need removing as they are blocking what you have at ground level.

Edited by Marigold Devin

Just going by what you have said, that "gray square" would show up on the map IF there was a prim such as a building pad somewhere above ground level but below 300 meters (or so -- I haven't checked lately). It COULD be that the person that owned the land left a work pad up in the sky and didn't realize it, and if you didn't return everything (or if there was an odd database snafu) when you bought the land then it could still be up there.

You could do an area search and see if there is a prim (or more) up there OR just fly up past 300 meters and see if you see anything. If someone besides you has something on your land you should be able to see that in the land tab.

landtab.JPG

• Like 2

Hi, I know this thread is a few years old, but I have a similar question and haven't found any threads on sky writing or sky art when googling. 

So, as a new landowner trying to rent first property, how do I show the parcel as for rent from the world map like I see when looking at some other rentals? Is this something I need to learn to create? Like creating a 79x79sm flat prim (same size as property) and adding a yellow "FOR RENT" texture to it? Also, how do I know how high up I am when flying so that I know I'm placing it at the allowed height for mainland rules?

Thank you for any guidance provided!

Celestenie - n00b

Edited by Celestenie
want to be notified of replies, but i guess i missed the boat on that one...

3 hours ago, Celestenie said:

Like creating a 79x79sm flat prim (same size as property) and adding a yellow "FOR RENT" texture to it? Also, how do I know how high up I am when flying so that I know I'm placing it at the allowed height for mainland rules?

A texture won't be rendered on the map; "skywriting" is done with a bunch of colored prim shapes stuck together and located with the top surface somewhere below about 400m (I seem to be using about 380m). There's not really any "allowed height" for Mainland; that skywriting height limit is just the level at which the Map-generating software considers objects, or if you mean the overall maximum height of an object, that's 4096m, regardless of Mainland or Estate. On Estates or Linden Homes regions there can be height limits imposed by Covenant.

You may be able to see your avatar's current height in the address bar section at the top of the viewer. For building purposes you can rez and work on stuff at any convenient height, link it together and hoist it up to the desired height in the editor's Object tab settings. To get up there yourself so you can work on it more, you can "ride" one of the objects by sitting on it and editing its Object location, or just hover your avatar (toggle the Home key) and type in the desired height either in the Map to Teleport, or directly into the addressbar. 

@Celestenie,

As Qie says, those "For Rent" signs you see on the Map aren't textures, they are great big prim constructions floating in the sky.

I don't think they are all that great for advertising...for some other ideas, see my blog post, "Ads, Ads, Ads!"

If you do choose to put one of them over your land, here are some pointers:

• Keep the sign simple and its prim count low.
  • Make it Phantom, so it doesn't impede air travelers.
  • Make all surfaces except the top transparent
  • Place the object somewhere between 200 and 400m altitude.  Lower, and it can wind up in draw distance of people on the ground.  Higher, and it won't show up on the world map.
  • Be sure it is completely contained on your parcel

Thanks y'all. The owner of CIY Rentals helped me out on the texture vs prim so it will appear. I've got it up there @ 394m. @Lindal Kidd, I'll check out your blog. I'm advertising via SL, have it in search, and have "for rent" in description. The CIY Rental dude also suggested I break it up into  smaller parcels for better shot at renting. So, I'm working on that now. :)

It's a really good thing that I enjoy mundane tasks. lol. 

Thanks for the quick responses. I need to set up notifications so I see them next time. 🙂

Cheers,

Celestenie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.