What does a Demo do?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Demos usually come with some sort of visual blight. For instance, it might be colored weird or some attached letters might say DEMO. Basically, it's a version of the item that you won't want to keep in an effort to get something for free. It encourages you to see the item before you buy it. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Christin73 said:

Unfortunantly some "demos" on MP you have to pay for. I have seen some up to 10L for just the demo. 

Any demo that costs more than 1L you should avoid.  The seller is just scamming at that point trying to get money from people they know most likely wont buy the full item. 

Demos are useful for checking to see if something works before you spend money on the real thing. For example, checking the fit of clothes. Never assume something works as you expect unless you are happy to risk the price - always look for a demo. They are always limited in some way, such as having "DEMO" scrawled all over them, or less commonly deleting itself after a certain time. If you are happy that the demo works, then you can be fairly sure that the full version works too. They are usually free but having to pay a linden or two is not unusual.

Demo's are a way of getting a preview of how the item looks and or how it might function. Some demos may in fact have a time limit assigned to them. While these are not as common—they are around.

With that being said it is always recommended that you demo the product before you purchase it when possible. With clothing, the demo is going to show you the general quality of the item, the fit and it gives you an idea how it looks on you. The demo's will generally remove a graphic texture on the item or it may have something else attached to it so that it prevents/discourages you from using it full time. Its pretty self explanatory ... Try some out.

Charging $1L allows you to "buy now" and also not have to go through the freebie ads to get it, and also allows you to send it as a 'gift' to a friend if you are helping someone find something.  It also discourages people that don't have money and never will and therefore can't possibly buy the actual product from getting it and maybe copybotting it.

Some demo's are set to self destruct.  This makes sense IMO, if sufficient time is allowed for you to examine it before it poofs. 

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

/me nods.

I don't mind the $1L demos and understand why it is that way.  In world shops will often refund the $1 as well.  It is the $10L demos that give me pause.  Thankfully those are rare and seldom seen.

Ah 10L$ demos... The firm belief that your product is sooooo bad that once they see the demo, only a moron would buy it, so... charge 10L$ for the demo! Because it's    "...only a few cents right?   "

I did a search specifically for demos a few weeks back listed in descending price order, most expensive item was some 25,000 LS "semi exclusive" full perm template mesh, wasn't a demo, didn't have a demo.  I gave up before I found what the most expensive ACTUAL demo was though.

Recently I've seen demos that look exactly like the no demo version. No ugly pieces, no signs, no text showing that it's a demo. However, when you wear the demo there is a message in the general chat saying: "You can wear this demo for 10 minutes". So after that time the demo detaches automatically. If you wear it again, then it detaches immediately.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Recently I've seen demos that look exactly like the no demo version. No ugly pieces, no signs, no text showing that it's a demo. However, when you wear the demo there is a message in the general chat saying: "You can wear this demo for 10 minutes". So after that time the demo detaches automatically. If you wear it again, then it detaches immediately.

You can pose for a lot of pictures in ten minutes and of course, there are no-script parcels...

I'm not suggesting anything, just mentioning it in passing. ^_^

Just now, ChinRey said:

You can pose for a lot of pictures in ten minutes and of course, there are no-script parcels...

I'm not suggesting anything, just mentioning it in passing. ^_^

Good news, thanks. Next time I will test such clothes in no-script area so I'll have plenty of time to check how the clothes look and fit. 9_9

I once got a demo of a pair of panties, which had the word demo on the front, But that part was so small anyway that it was hard to notice unless you were very close, I eventually bought the full version, but not for a while. 

I don't really mind the 1L demo's since they aren't necessarily in the norm BUT if they were—I definitely would be a little more selective over what I chose to demo. Let's hope that never becomes the norm -crosses fingers-

I am not sure if I am alone here but I'd love it if more Jewelry creators offered demos. Personally I think I would buy more jewelry if that was the case ...

I also wanted to say thank you to the creators who are offering their fatpack HUD with the demo to sample all the options. I rarely buy fatpacks from vendors which do not offer that. :P

Edited by Chase01

8 hours ago, Chase01 said:

I am not sure if I am alone here but I'd love it if more Jewelry creators offered demos. Personally I think I would buy more jewelry if that was the case ...

Oh yes, I already buy a lot, but there are lots of things I hesitate about because I can't try it out first.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.