Premium membership

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't mean to be rude but what's the point of having it? I know you get a house and more groups added on to your account. But is it like IMVU where if you have AP you can see 
"Adult content?' I am just a little confused. I would like to know more about it before I take the plunge and get a monthly membership.

To answer your specific question, no, the ability to see Adult Content or not depends on the date of birth you provided when you created your account.  If you're 18 or over, then you can enter Adult regions  regardless of  what kind of membership you have (providing you set your preferences to allow you to see Adult Content).   See the Knowledge Base article on Accessing Adult land and content for further details.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 2

Some of the Premium perks include:

• 20 additional groups
  • pocket change ever week
  • Private house on controlled land (it's cute, is a nice place to change and hang a picture of two and I have never had a single problem with the neighbors).
  • Live support chat.

If you go that way, some common Q&A are:

Q: When do I get the weekly stipend?
A: Every Tuesday

Q: Where's my 1000L$ sign up bonus?
A: You get it after you have been a premium member for 45 consecutive days. In other words you will get your bonus in the middle of your second month as a premium.

Q: Can I use my own house or can I only have the Lab's versions?
A: You actually get 512 sqm of land free of tier.  You can purchase mainland and use your own house or you can take the house in the projects.  The free house means it does not count against your land impact limit.

Q: My partner and I want to chain a furry to the wall and flog her/him then pixel-bop their brains out.  Is this allowed in our free home?
A: Sort of yes and no.  Disable outside residents from seeing what is happening on your parcel (done in preferences) and keep chat private (group or conference IM) and you should be fine.

• Like 2

Other perks include Premium Gifts (make by LDPW, resident creators on contract to LL) and access to Premium-Only sandboxes.   These are usually considerably quieter and more orderly than are the public ones -- if you're a content creator without much land of your own, it's very useful.    

You also need to be premium member to own an experience, which is probably of interest primarily to people who make scripted content.

11 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Q: Where's my 1000L$ sign up bonus?

A: You get it after you have been a premium member for 45 consecutive days. In other words you will get your bonus in the middle of your second month as a premium.

I got 1250 L$ when I went premium a few months ago.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1

They are basic, but, now that the prim count has gone up, you can do a pretty decent job of decorating. It would, however, be nice if they utilized the house rezzer system like they have in the Horizon sims, and let you choose the house. The only problem with that is that the plots the houses are on are actually just big enough for the house footprint so that could be a problem.

I used the "being able to change your premium house 5x a day" feature to be able to test-drive a house choice - see what it was actually like walking around inside, etc - until I found one I thought had the best interior layout for me, and then I started furnishing it. 

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, 70Alexander said:

How do I position the items in house. The bed every time I drop it goes on it’s side  

Drop the bed on the floor.  Right click it and select Edit.  The Edit window will default to moving objects -- i.e. you'll see arrows.  However, near the upper left of the Edit box will be a radio button for Rotate.  Click that button and the arrows on your object will change to circles that you can click and rotate with.

Since it's already been necro-ed I'll throw in my two cents.

If you want to own land in Second Life, I feel like getting a premium account (or several Premium accounts) and some mainland is your best bet in terms of pure value for money. You can save up the weekly tier you get each week and put it towards paying your recurring Premium fee. If you go annual with your Premium membership, the L$300/wk stipend will pay off most of that cost the next time you need to pay it, so much so that after the first year you only have to pay about $11/yr after that to maintain your Premium account.

Plus you can create a group of your own and contribute your 512sq.m. toward that group's land, giving you 10% more land tier for free. If you have multiple Premium accounts, you can lump the 512sq.m. from each into your land group. Just three Premium accounts will net you a total of about 1690sq.m. of land for your $33/yr Premium costs.

If you don't have any interest in land, I'm not sure there is much of a benefit to going Premium. You can pay to put L$ in your account at any time without paying LL a yearly fee on top of it. The Linden Homes themselves aren't very good. The "virtual gifts" LL gives out every month tend to be no-mod and kinda useless (I don't think LL thought out this "benefit" very well). None of the "Exclusive Premium areas and experiences" are worth paying for. You can set missed Instant Messages to go to your email inbox so the increased in-world cap on them is kinda pointless. Most people use group membership just to get some clever tags over their name and you can do that by creating your own group. You can do voice morphing with third party software you can get for a one time fee instead of paying LL yearly. There's just nothing I can really see the value in unless you want to own land. But that's only my opinion, some of those Premium Perks might appeal to you more than me.

I do enjoy the expanded customer service support, but every time I've used it has been for a land related issue.

That said, I do own land and rather enjoy having my own slice of the grid. And using the tip above makes it really affordable. So if you're interested in owning land, I'd definitely recommend going that route.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.