Land ownership seems kind of weird in SL-

Pargo Lynwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I fairly new to SL and I just bought a 1024 on the mainland and built my own house. The question is:

Does my ownership extend an unlimited distance into the sky? Isn't that very much unlike normal RL property???

How can anyone fly (by plane, zeppelin, jet-pack, flying saucer etc..) without running into all those buildings up in the sky?

I see structures - (platforms, houses, spheres, columns etc.) above me if I fly upwards- some of them look like they are above my house. Now i've seen how ban lines work but if you are flying high enough you can cross over other properties, (on the ground anyway..). But those buildings in the sky are all over the place.

And why can't we sail our boats on all the water between land that you can see on the world map? Is that all private land? I guess I find it hard to believe these rules are so unlike RL rules. What is the rationale behind this?

Your land ownership does indeed extend into the sky, although there is a build limit (at 4096 meters, according to the knowledge base).

Skyboxes are usually above 500 meters for privacy reasons, so there is plenty of room to safely navigate a plane below them.

It is possible that your neighbour's buildings encroach on your land, or the air space above your land. As long as the center of the parent prim of a linkset is located on their own land, the rest of the linkset can reach across the border onto yours. If you notice something like this, you can file an abuse report or a support ticket, but it would be polite to first contact your neighbour and see if the matter can be resolved without Linden Lab's involvement.

Most of the waterspace on the map is just empty space that is not located on any server and cannot be accessed. The same goes for the visible water around private regions, or at the horizon as seen from the coast of a mainland continent. It is just eye candy. Only water that lies within the borders of a sim is accessible and can be used for boating.

thanks Ishtara, that is a good explanation- I suppose my observations were fairly close- that buildings can overlap. Its tood bad about the water- it would be nice to have a ship autopilot like a cruise ship and have its own teleport address.

But if people have skyboxes without doors or windows - I mean just open buildings and platforms how is that privacy?

I don't see how being above 500 meters is privacy.  Even I as a new user I have a door with an access list on my house.

In a 1960's science fiction story ( "The Stars My Destination"), teleportation wasdiscovered and all you needed was a 3D coordinate to teleport- (just like in SL).  People who wanted privacy had homes built like mazes so a teleporter could only guess at a open space to teleport in. Otherwise they would materialize inside walls and die! 

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

It is possible that your neighbour's buildings encroach on your land, or the air space above your land. As long as the center of the parent prim of a linkset is located on their own land, the rest of the linkset can reach across the border onto yours. If you notice something like this, you can file an abuse report or a support ticket, but it would be polite to first contact your neighbour and see if the matter can be resolved without Linden Lab's involvement.

It's not uncommon for people to have a slightly oversized hollow sphere or cylinder to act as scenery for their skybox.  If that's the case and the middle of the root prim of the object is on their parcel, it doesn't remove any available prims from neighbours despite encroaching a little onto their land.  Mostly it's better to ignore those cases if they are high in the sky and not causing you direct harm.  If you force your neighbour to get rid of their scenic sphere, guess what the answer is going to be if you later want to have something that doesn't quite fit the physical size of the parcel.  If it's at ground level, or close to the ground, that's a different matter usually.

Pargo Lynwood wrote:

thanks Ishtara, that is a good explanation- I suppose my observations were fairly close- that buildings can overlap. Its tood bad about the water- it would be nice to have a ship autopilot like a cruise ship and have its own teleport address.

But if people have skyboxes without doors or windows - I mean just open buildings and platforms how is that privacy?

I don't see how being above 500 meters is privacy.  Even I as a new user I have a door with an access list on my house.

In a 1960's science fiction story ( "The Stars My Destination"), teleportation wasdiscovered and all you needed was a 3D coordinate to teleport- (just like in SL).  People who wanted privacy had homes built like mazes so a teleporter could only guess at a open space to teleport in. Otherwise they would materialize inside walls and die! 

It's relative privacy, that's all.  Unless you own an entire private island which has no adjacent regions, total privacy in SL is next to impossible.  Skyboxes above 500 or 1000 give relative privacy, in that you're less likely to be discovered by random explorers.  If you're at ground level, they can stand on an adjacent parcel and listen to or even heckle your public chat, cam inside, more or less be in the room with you, and you have more or less no legitimate complaint againt them.  They can do that in the sky as well, but it's both much more obvious, and you're less likely to get people doing that up there.  In the sky, you can normally find a space to have more than 100m distance between you and the nearest skybox, so even shouts don't get heard by neighbours.

Additionally, some landlords will allow you to have a much shorter warning time on security devices up in the sky, compared to on the ground.  Personally, I think ban lines on mainland (turning off public access, not banning individual troublemakers) are a terrible blight on the land, as are security devices which give less than 30s warning (i.e enough time to get clear even if you're having a bit of lag or trouble moving).  If my tenants want a relatively private space, I always strongly recommend being up in the sky and then provide them with a security system which ejects after just 10s warning, but on the ground 30s warning is the minimum warning time I allow (and no ban lines).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4736 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.