Is non-mesh doomed to extinction?

TaiVelikova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

I'm really not sure about this. Skins are skins. It's super easy for a skin creator to include a classic skin layer in the same package as an applier, and I suspect most will continue to do so because there is absolutely no reason for them not to. It's money on the table, it would be rather silly not to pick it up when there's no extra work involved on their part.

Many skin makers have already dropped providing new skins for classic avatars.
At best they have their old classic skins in a back room.
This is based shopping around on when I went to a mesh body and then again to a mesh head.
The skins I took demos for or eventually bought only came with mesh appliers.

3 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

This is based shopping around on when I went to a mesh body and then again to a mesh head.

Or if a system skin is included it's only the body and the face is just a blob.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

That is so strange. These skin makers are losing sales doing this, I guarantee it.

I just thought I would throw this out here.

I do not use a mesh avatar, I do get a demo from time to time and have gone back to see if the demo of the ones that I think I may like have been updated or not.

But if I get a demo of something new and I have no clue what do with the parts in the folder, I delete it, period!

People selling the mesh avatars could possibly make more sales if they had better direction with them, just saying.

And no, I'm not very good at this, I like SL but the classic avatar is so much easier, to me. I can easily see my self sticking with it to the end.

• Like 1

Teagan, I completely understand where you're coming from. It would make sense from a customer service perspective to have better instructions through multiple mediums but fortunately the community has a ton of resources available (including this website) covering the more popular mesh bodies and components. Even YouTube as an example is a great source.

The reality is that it isn't vastly different then it was when you first learned to how to customize your legacy avatar. Once you get some of the basics down you'll see its pretty straightforward. Just recently I had forwarded someone a video on the Maitreya body and it was less than 10-minutes. At the end their response was something along the lines of ... "duh, that makes total sense. Why couldn't I figure that out lol"

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Penny Patton said:

That is so strange. These skin makers are losing sales doing this, I guarantee it.

I totally agree, I mean it can possibly only take minutes to create the classic versions and pop them in the box.
If it were me, I would be as inclusive as possible where it didn't place a great burden to do so.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I totally agree, I mean it can possibly only take minutes to create the classic versions and pop them in the box.
If it were me, I would be as inclusive as possible where it didn't place a great burden to do so.

I thought you were right, but then I remember that a skin does not always work for all. Eyelids, mouth, etc. must be tweaked to suit the brand of head. Then, if you have 5 lines of skins, 5 shades of skin, then it is a lot of work and cost to upload slightly different versions. Plus body appliers. Some has just stopped to make skins for TMP and use an Omega for the rest. But not all. It is still different bodies in many, if not all brands. Cleavage is often provided.

So some will simply not make skins for the default face, because it is not worth the Investment in uploads and time.

well.. all my avies remain with legacy mesh avatar.  I will never change the head from my main avie, because she began this journey looking like me, like, i'm living the SL trough her (sort of my doppelganger, my alterego). But... i always hate breasts and butt+crotch.. they look blocky and cut off with an axe.  So i bought lola's for her.  It was difficult wearing and matching skin+clothes.  And.. why someone would sell something expensive WITH NO DEMO?

I bought a mesh head for another avie and i liked it, it was from a gatcha and non mod.  Later, i found a lot of avies wearing the same head... :/

I was researching about mesh and mesh parts, o bought demos.. i was not convinced.  One example: all catwa heads are horrible (to me).. they all (or most of them) have that ducky lips (like a bimbo... like...

(i thought i was something from the past!! :()

...and they all look the same.. you know when it is catwa.. unless you mod a lot or buy a shape.. (but mostly there are a lot of sisters and cousins around)

Same with the bodies.. yes you can mod.. but ultimately, they all have same breasts, hands, feets... (you know it because MOST PEOPLE DOESN'T WEAR THEIR ALPHAS! I SEE YOU NAKED!, i mean.. it is getting boring seeing a lot of women naked... there is no novelty anymore).

Every time i try to find some other brand it is a difficult task for me... they are hidden on marketplace.  Some of those mesh bodies i find from small brands are having trouble of different sorts.

The big brands charge every mesh body like they had to make one for each customer... they are digital copies.. you can charge less for it.  I mean, in Nexus Mods, you will find A LOT of modders (mostly 99% of all mods are for free) They put a lot of work, and they git them ALL FOR FREE.

Bottom line: i will wait until there are accessible and no longer have any trouble or hassle, no problem like i have with my legacy body.                                                             

Edited by Elisaisabel Munro
  • Like 1

Elisaisabel, I hear what you're saying—prior to the Bento line of mesh heads we were all forced into static shapes made specific to that model. In that regard it was a step backwards. For many of us (including myself) it was a trade-off worth making. At least now with Bento I have the option to further customize my head to suit my taste. Each brand does have a unique style which does make it distinguishable if you're familiar with all the brands—but with skins, cosmetics, shape and model (Bento or not) I can't say I have seen anyone that looks enough like me that I feel like I was a carbon copy. At least that was from my own perspective.

Keep in mind that before all of this it just wasn't something we all thought about because we were all essentially using a legacy avatar.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.