Disappearing objects

angeoco

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Recently (last week or 2) I have noticed that lots of things that were previously visible are no longer rendered. For example, on a necklace I'm wearing the string would render but not the pearls. Bits of furniture in my house. Bits of other people's boats/bikes/cars in other sims. The stuff seems to have rezzed as when I click edit (on things I own), the outline is properly highlighted. I'm using Firestorm and I don't remember changing any settings recently. Can anybody suggest what I might need to do? Thanks a lot.

Most likely your LOD (Level of Detail) settings have changed -- possibly by accident.  

Look in your Quick Preferences Panel (you can add that button to your FS toolbar if you don't have it) and check to see what your level of detail setting is.  If it USED to be 4 and now had reverted to the default (2 I believe still) or is somehow lower then you are simply seeing things as many folks do :D. You can also see the LOD setting in the graphics preferences window. 

Sadly there is a fair amount of mesh and sculpts that just don't show up because of the way they were made.  They ARE there and if you get close enough to them they should show up, but the farther away you get the more likely they are to disappear. 

lod.JPG

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding picture and more info

12 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Most likely your LOD (Level of Detail) settings have changed -- possibly by accident.  

Look in your Quick Preferences Panel (you can add that button to your FS toolbar if you don't have it) and check to see what your level of detail setting is.  If it USED to be 4 and now had reverted to the default (2 I believe still) or is somehow lower then you are simply seeing things as many folks do :D.

Sadly there is a fair amount of mesh and sculpts that just don't show up because of the way they were made.  They ARE there and if you get close enough to them they should show up, but the farther away you get (camming in doesn't count as close) the more likely they are to disappear. 

My "objects & sculpts LOD" was at 2. It put it up to 4 and relogged, but there was no difference. The problem exists even when I'm right beside the objects.

Try this to get them to render:  Hit CTRL+SHIFT+R to enter Wireframe mode, then CTRL+SHIFT+R again to toggle out of it.  This will force a screen re-draw and often reveals un-rendered objects.  Occasionally, I have a situation where this doesn't work, but I KNOW the objects are there.  In that case, re-logging has always fixed it for me.

• Thanks 1

I have never personally had your issue on MULTIPLE items. Oftentimes one or two items will be gone from view (although obviously there when you click on them and see their pre rezzed shape). Then I have cleared my cache and that fixed it. While the FS folks tell us repeatedly not to clear our caches :D. This might be a case where you needed too.

The OTHER thing that can happen that would cause your exact issue is changing your field of view. That will definitely break some LOD viewing. To get it back in case that happened, use Ctrl + 8 to return the view to default. Sometimes I have this issue if I have been taking photos. A quick reset to default solves the issue. If that sounds like a possibility then certainly try that before clearing your cache. 

45 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Try this to get them to render:  Hit CTRL+SHIFT+R to enter Wireframe mode, then CTRL+SHIFT+R again to toggle out of it.  This will force a screen re-draw and often reveals un-rendered objects.  Occasionally, I have a situation where this doesn't work, but I KNOW the objects are there.  In that case, re-logging has always fixed it for me.

Unfortunately that didn't work, going in and out of wireframe and relogging. The stuff is certainly there, as other people can see it.

17 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I have never personally had your issue on MULTIPLE items. Oftentimes one or two items will be gone from view (although obviously there when you click on them and see their pre rezzed shape). Then I have cleared my cache and that fixed it. While the FS folks tell us repeatedly not to clear our caches :D. This might be a case where you needed too.

The OTHER thing that can happen that would cause your exact issue is changing your field of view. That will definitely break some LOD viewing. To get it back in case that happened, use Ctrl + 8 to return the view to default. Sometimes I have this issue if I have been taking photos. A quick reset to default solves the issue. If that sounds like a possibility then certainly try that before clearing your cache. 

I cleared my cache, but no difference. Changing the field of view didn't do anything either.

• Like 1

Well I have NO CLUE.  You might try and install the Linden viewer or another viewer and see if the problem is viewer related . Hopefully someone else has had the answer along they way. Writing from the new "notification" area :D. 

I've had this same issue for the past few days. However, it's not always the same object (s). Yesterday it was a refrigerator, today it's a potted fern but only the fern went missing. If I cam around to another side of the mesh, or if I move my avatar to another side, the object may reappear but disappear again once I move back to the original position. The only thing I can think of to do is try a clean install of Firestorm. However, I'm not holding my breath.

At first, it appeared so as I had several 8f8 items. I removed the items and the disappearing objects of the day (changes on every login) reappeared. After a walk around, different objects disappeared and reappeared when the view would change. Multiple button clicks later I had my graphic settings on my "club" setting (see picture) and noticed everything would stay as it should. I then changed my LOD from a club setting of 1.5 to 4.0 LOD and poof, objects disappeared. As you can see from the pictures the only setting that is different is the LOD.

Leaving my graphic settings where they were (LOD 3.6) I added the 8f8 items back, walked around, cammed around, and all objects stayed as they were. Time will tell if this remains true.

97e67de3cd389d6353f1c3b9414cd98a.thumb.png.178cd7736569ba98fb1a5420f571ec7c.png6353b5763c404c34f6802aee3716601b.thumb.png.a2a95f74fdc673f824782e4ecdf98cdb.png

• Like 1

I am having *the same* issue, and it just started happening in the past several weeks. Random objects at random locations are just invisible - walls, floors, vendors, etc. Haven't changed any settings prior to this happening so I'm rather confused. My pc is fairly beefy and I hadn't had any major graphical issues since I left the noob stage 6ish years ago. Even though I don't do it often, I cleared my cache. Can't recollect what my LOD was set at before but I put it on 4. Still happening. Really confused as to what could be happening, confused and annoyed enough to come and make a first post here about it haha

• Like 1

8f8 items have been traditionally "heavy". I only have one thing I think but I can remember going to venues with lots of (very lovely) 8f8 items and not being able to move. It was molasses.  So IF you only have the disappearing issue at home where there are those 8f8 items then likely that is the problem. There can of course be OTHER mesh that is too dense. Happily a lot of content creators are doing a good job on both vertices and LODs.    

On 4/11/2017 at 5:20 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

I read the bug to learn about it - found it interesting. It would have been nice to do something (such as show a "default texture" in the spot where the objects can't be drawn), so that the user knows there is a problem. (Rather than "viewer would crash, too many triangles, tl;dr, resolved.")

• Like 2

@Jadziyah
Have you changed any debug settings that are supposed to stop graphics crashers from crashing the viewer eg) https://thegreenlanterns.wordpress.com/2013/05/12/debug-settings-to-make-graphics-crashers-obsolete/

If you did, revert those settings back to default. Following the advice on that page will result in many normal objects being invisible.

For now, the problem seems to have resolved itself. I haven't changed any debug settings, so I can rule that out. However, the one thing I did do was to make sure my nVidia card was running the show via the nVidia card control panel. It looked like it was but I deleted the settings and added the Firestorm viewer again.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

@Jadziyah
Have you changed any debug settings that are supposed to stop graphics crashers from crashing the viewer eg) https://thegreenlanterns.wordpress.com/2013/05/12/debug-settings-to-make-graphics-crashers-obsolete/

If you did, revert those settings back to default. Following the advice on that page will result in many normal objects being invisible.

I had not, no. I know everyone says they hadn't changed any settings but I honestly truly hadn't :)

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I'm at a store and see some items, but not all- there are of course supposed to be tables, vendor photos, decor.... Even more interesting is that when I go into wireframe it's as if those items still aren't there. But they are definitely there. I'm tearing my hair out in confusion o.O

18 hours ago, Maddie Camus said:

For now, the problem seems to have resolved itself. I haven't changed any debug settings, so I can rule that out. However, the one thing I did do was to make sure my nVidia card was running the show via the nVidia card control panel. It looked like it was but I deleted the settings and added the Firestorm viewer again.

This I'd like to hear more about as I also have an nVidia card- a GTX 970. What exactly did you do?

4-27 wireframe_002.jpg

4-27 wireframe_001.jpg

Hi guys...was having the same problem with disappearing objects...tried reducing the VOL LOD Factor to 2 and immediately the prims became visible. Am not a tech person so i have no idea why or what and i have no idea what 8f8 objects are...but the normal prims and the mesh objects which had been disappearing all appeared!  So...thank you!

2 hours ago, DellaLaBella said:

Hi guys...was having the same problem with disappearing objects...tried reducing the VOL LOD Factor to 2 and immediately the prims became visible. Am not a tech person so i have no idea why or what and i have no idea what 8f8 objects are...but the normal prims and the mesh objects which had been disappearing all appeared!  So...thank you!

Your viewer can only render a certain number of triangles... if you are busy calculating the fine structure of you neighbour's carpet you might miss the vase in your own room...

Edited by Fionalein

The other day, I bought an outdoor set from a rather reputable furniture maker. I had never bought anything from them before and I'm quite certain that I won't buy from them again, might actually trash that set.

They seriously recommend to set the VolumeRenderLODFactor to at least (!) 5.000 to 6.000. The FAQ on their website even mentions 8.000.

Sorry... nah, actually not... that's far from any sanity in terms of content optimization. :S

• Sad 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.