Sign in to follow this  
Arsonal Toocool

Second life keeps crashing when loading viewer with NVIDIA's 1050gtx card, not sure if it's the card or the computer.

Question

Second life keeps crashing when loading viewer with NVIDIA's 1050gtx card, not sure if it's the card, or the computer. 

HP OMEN -7th Gen Intel Core i7-7700HQ  - 12GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 - 1TB HDD.

11 answers to this question

That's a fine graphics card.  I have the 1070 GTX and am quite happy with it.  I know other people who have NVIDIA cards in that same family too. So.... it's not the card that's causing trouble.  That CPU should be fine too. Unfortunately, you didn;t provide much detail about what you mean by "crashing when loading", so it's hard to guess what the real problem is.  What does "crashing" look like?  Do you get error messages?  At what point during login do you "crash" or disconnect?  Have you ever been able to log in to SL?  How are you connected to the Internet?  Have you made exceptions for your viewer in both your firewall and your Anti-Virus software?  Oh, and one more really basic question.... Are you logging in by launching the viewer directly from the icon on your desktop, or are you trying to login by clicking on a URL in your web browser?

Sorry for the lack of information, sometimes I get the Submit Crash report message. Sometimes it just saids sl stopped working, and needs to be closed. It only happens when I use the NVIDIA card, works fine with the built in card. 

@Lindal Kidd, how would I know if I overclocked my computer?

Yes, I just bought this laptop...  I updated the card, with a clean install.  Got a HP support, to help and, whatever he did made, it even worst. Now I'm getting a blue screen Error. We've updated windows, and reset my whole laptop. Still not working....

Also got this message below....  so I'm sure it's the laptop now. Maybe it was dropped a few times during delivery.  :(

Going to try, trading this one in for a different one. Thanks for you help :)

brokeeee.png.4e94b58ce17ced73c5446100938ad471.png

Don't panic yet.  If the machine is still under warranty, they should be able to replace it or install the proper software for you.  Remember, that computer may be new to you but it may have been sitting in a warehouse for several months before you bought it.  If so, the graphics card drivers were already out of date when you got it.  That's why one of the first things you always do when you get a new computer is to download and install current drivers from the manufacturer.  That is a good mid-range card, appropriate for SL.  NVidia drivers sometimes need to be installed more than once, however.  See the following note at

NVIDIA graphics cards may cause driver-related problems. After installing the latest NVIDIA drivers, the Second Life® Viewer may crash with an error message that states: "Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware." This appears to be a problem with the NVIDIA drivers' initial installation: the first time the install process is run, something fails silently — a file or set of files doesn't copy properly, but the installer doesn't give you any notice that something went wrong.

There is a solution: ensure that all of your applications are closed, and install the NVIDIA drivers again. For some reason, the drivers almost always install correctly the second time.

If these steps do not solve your problem, please see NVIDIA's Driver Installation Hints.

6 hours ago, Arsonal Toocool said:

Got a HP support, to help and, whatever he did made, it even worst.

This is off-topic, but I'm reminded of an HP laptop I bought 15 years ago. Shortly after buying it, I took it on a road trip to Stevens Point, WI, where I logged into the University of Wisconsin's campus network. From that day until I sent the laptop to recycling, the Wi-Fi hardware thought it was in Stevens Point, and refused to connect to anything else. The HP folks I called said "Talk to Broadcom, we don't make the Wi-Fi hardware". The Broadcom folks said "Talk to HP, we didn't make the computer." I took the laptop back to Best Buy, where their experts worked on it for several days (doing a complete wipe of the system) and were unable to convince the laptop that it was no longer in Steven's Point. They then sent it off to HP, where the Wi-Fi card was replaced, but apparently not tested. When I received the laptop back, it still thought it was in Stevens Point.

On a whim, I configured a spare Wi-Fi router to use the same name as the UW-SP system and... it worked!

• Like 2

Thanks...

While I was on the phone with the HP support guy, he took control of my laptop, downloaded updates, clean reinstalled the card many times. He couldn't find the issue.

Also the fans are blowing pretty hard, not sure if that has anything to do with anything...

Trying not to panic, but it's a little upsetting when you buy something and, it doesn't work how you want it. My older laptop runs still runs great on secondlife, and it's 3 years old. And I didn't know anything about installing the latest updates for nivdia back then, so for a long time it was running on out dated software with out any issues. lol

14 hours ago, Arsonal Toocool said:

...@Lindal Kidd, how would I know if I overclocked my computer?

Unless you deliberately overclocked (in which case you would know), then you almost certainly haven't, unless you did something like invite a geek friend over to fiddle with it and "improve the performance."  If you have a utility that came with your motherboard (for example, ASROCK motherboards come with a little program called "A-Tuning"), it can be used to overclock your machine, and/or to check its settings and see if it is overclocked.  Computers from mainstream manufacturers like your HP aren't normally overclocked, unless as I said above, you've let a geek get his hands on it.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

Yes.  That's one indication that you may have an unreliable Internet connection, although there could be other reasons for a spike in FPS.  I assumed that you had at least rebooted your modem and router.  If not, do that now.  And avoid using a wifi connection.  Connect with a DSL or cable connection.

I doubt that's your real problem, though.  After all, you did say that you have no problem when you use the integrated graphics chip instead of the 1050 GTX.  If the connection were the issue, it would affect both graphics options.