Participation in our research

Nickylion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 hours ago, Nickylion said:

Good day Everyone!

We’re cultural anthropology students at Utrecht University and we are doing research on the wonderful world of Second Life. We’re researching the way gender affects the manner in which people treat you in your fascinating community. We’re looking for people willing to be interviewed via skype. We’ll keep our participants anonymous, and our finished project will be available to read if you’re interested. If you’d like to help us, please react to this message! Thanks!

"Similarly, some of the first educators and researchers in SL were a bit clumsy in their approach. There were early incidents in which Residents felt—rightly—that they were being spied upon or treated like guinea pigs rather than human beings. Imagine how you would feel if an entire class of students set up right next to your vacation hideaway, left trash lying around, logged your conversations, and posted them on the Internet with criticism and mean-spirited comments. This is exactly what happened to some early Residents. Things have improved greatly in the years since then, but sometimes SL Residents are still subject to that kind of inconsiderate behavior. For example, a constant stream of researchers (often students) posts on the Second Life official forums requesting that Residents please take their surveys. Most of these surveys include the same questions that have been asked over and over. Often they aren't spell-checked, or refer to SL as a game—a sure way to irritate a substantial number of Residents. Some Residents make a hobby of critiquing these surveys, pointing out how the questions and their wording make it clear that the researcher isn't familiar with Second Life. Some post outright that they are sick of badly planned surveys and suggest that the researchers log in and do their own research."

From The Second Life Grid: The Official Guide to Communication, Collaboration, and Community Engagement

by Kimberly Rufer-Bach

ISBN-13: 9780470412916

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'd been wondering why . . . ;)

One day, though, I'll find someone who loves me for something other than my huge . . . walls o'text.

Not like anyone hasn't tried Scylla. If you remember. I wonder if your WOT is the wall you use to distance yourself from getting emotionally involved.

Those  that lay siege in their forlorn hope understand what lays beyond those walls hence their sacrifice.

'Once more unto the breach dear friends...'

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sorry for the repetitive posts/quotes, which of course I can't delete, but there was no indication that the first one was actually posted when I hit the submit button so banged away at it like a mad. lol

Edited by Derek Torvalar

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

One day, though, I'll find someone who loves me for something other than my huge . . . walls o'text.

That'll happen, but when it does... run away!

What could be better than having someone love you for what you love to do?

Oh, and it's not your walls of text that I love.

;-).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

That'll happen, but when it does... run away!

What could be better than having someone love you for what you love to do?

Oh, and it's not your walls of text that I love.

;-).

It's my cute perky nose, isn't it?

/me stands in profile

Every time I hear cultural anthropology I think of this song

------

And mind blown. LL trusts us with something that supports youtube? O.o

Mind you, I haven't been around these forums since the days of Kat "make you unwelcome" Linden when LL decide the best way to deal with us was to comletely purge vBulletin of literally EVERY feature.

Not to say that I wasn't also staying away because LL (Jack Linden?) decided to link a forum ban to inworld bans and back then there were too many people I wanted to troll into oblivion.

Anyhow, greetings from one of the 2006 free account hordes that were absolutely guaranteed to kill SL!  Now a grizzled old-timer in SL terms and it seems to have survived me being in it.

LAWL.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2017 at 4:25 AM, Annika Velde said:

I have never been so impressed with an answer as I was with your Scylla. That was perfect!

Told you

But Danny Miller is the real expert.

Boellstorff and Malaby in here are now way behind the curve.

DA.jpg

Suler is my main man though. Online disinhibition rules!

Suler.jpg

Edited by Avery Crazyboi
Because I could

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.