AlexandriteGem

Progeny, griefer attacks

6 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Others are selling the same HUD. It should be made available for free.

"should be" does not give you the right to put it in your store at MP, ask the creator for permission first
That others sell it isn't relevant, we'r talking about your action here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is not for sale
Going further, I have passed it to my friends and encouraged them to pass it along. It is a free HUD with copy and transfer rights

4 hours ago, AlexandriteGem said:

It is not for sale
Going further, I have passed it to my friends and encouraged them to pass it along. It is a free HUD with copy and transfer rights

passing it to friends is totally different than put it in a store on MP. If the creator wanted that he would do that himself.

You now do the same as all those prodigy players do too... without asking upfront violate the rights of a creator. Stop blaming them, you action is worse, because the prodigy plays only virtual, you possibly violate real copyrights or FP licenses.

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

passing it to friends is totally different than put it in a store on MP. If the creator wanted that he would do that himself.

You now do the same as all those prodigy players do too... without asking upfront violate the rights of a creator. Stop blaming them, you action is worse, because the prodigy plays only virtual, you possibly violate real copyrights or FP licenses.

Do we know if the creator is still active in SL? 

Do we know if the other people who have the HUD up for sale on the MP had permission from the creator to sell them?

Was the HUD originally offered for sale by the creator or was it free?

I'm not defending the OP's actions, I'm simply pointing out that there is more to it we don't know that factors into it.

This situation really isn't that much different than the free garlic necklace that stopped the Bloodlines bs. If you aren't familiar with the Bloodlines history, you might want to read up on it. Many do not want to be involved in other people's role play, even indirectly. That's not a decision that should be made by anyone that isn't the person being "dragged into" an RP they have no desire to be a part of, directly or indirectly. Most people do not appreciate decisions being made for them when they are perfectly capable of making those decisions for themselves and have very human right to do so.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

progeny and bloodlines spampires are easy to spot - you do not need a complicated HUD - you just need to know what attachements to scan for.

I used the garlic necklace at the first possible opportunity, but it still annoyed me that I had to obtain an item and do something with it to avoid being hassled by those stupid spampires (they were just ridiculous at one point), or even reject the bites when they suddenly appeared with no invitation or prior communication. The default should be that you are left alone; it should be opt in, not opt out. You shouldn't have to take actual action to be left out of something. Especially something that effing stupid.

With regards to this later version of things...well yes, if nothing happens to your av, nothing is said to you in IM or open and you are basically not actually affected in any way, it shouldn't bother you. It does bother me a bit, though. Not so much the secret RPing in private IM but I'm not crazy about the idea of getting put on a database, even if no private data has been harvested for it. I can see why people don't like the idea, as I don't either. Still, if I don't have to actively do anything to have my communication channels clear of those stupid spampires, I can live with it. I'll take it over that aggressive, underhanded Bloodlines squit. I remember they often got incredibly nasty when you told them firmly to leave you alone. I realise you shouldn't expect courtesy or decency from a blood sucking undead monster, but hell, at least Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise were kinda sexy and nobody had to see the film if they didn't want to.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What I always wonder is what are the underlying thoughts or fears people have when they get paranoid about "vampires" (why is it only vampires, anyway?) or other games that store your avatar's name and/or UUID somewhere.

• Like 1

" Many do not want to be involved in other people's role play, even indirectly. " to quote Selene. The one issue that might play a role is the permissions flag and how it is executed between all parties.After all, Progeny RP in and of itself , is not asking non-progeny users 'directly' to opt in or opt out of it's Data routine that could involve that other party. I am sure the information is still there all the same , but the non-Progeny user does not register this function in any way unless they were to go and check everything that was communicating in their area at that time.

Technically the HUD system should require that the an Opt Out or Opt in feature is present and visible to all persons in that immediate range of effect. Some people think it should be perfectly ok to fly your airplane over parcels owned by others and you can , but if they have security they can ask that you leave immediately. Some people think you HAVE to give atleast 10 seconds warning (it should give a warning) but to the best of my knowledge, a 'Warning' is not mandatory.

I think that is the underlying real issue when it comes to voluntary vs. involuntary implication into a system.

*side note: You have to realize that at one time eons ago that SL had no land option to turn off pushing. You were at your own peril when I first joined SL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

What I always wonder is what are the underlying thoughts or fears people have when they get paranoid about "vampires" (why is it only vampires, anyway?) or other games that store your avatar's name and/or UUID somewhere.

"Fear" is far too strong a word, but as PPs say, it's involving me in something I don't want to be involved in. I'm not scared. I'm irritated. I don't want to be a part of their stupid role-play. I accept it doesn't affect me in any REAL way so logically it shouldn't bother me at all. And like I said, I can live with it. But I don't have to like it. 

As for why it's only vampires, I've not personally come across anything else as obnoxious and spammy and databasey. Until I learned about, obtained and used the garlic necklace (and I shouldn't have had to!) I literally couldn't go anywhere without these cretins shooting me bite requests all over the shop, and almost always with absolutely no prior communication. Even Gorean Masters, when they were doing that thing of abducting Earth women for eternal* slavery, saved it for adult capture role-play areas and created a bit of (monosyllabic) context. They didn't try to pluck me out of clubs, shops or funfairs.

This stupid rudeness and spamminess is probably what's feeding my dislike of them still trying to involve people who don't want to have any part of it. It's like they don't get it. It's your role-play, it's effing moronic, why can't you just keep it to people who opt in? 

*Until you made fun of them.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

progeny and bloodlines spampires are easy to spot - you do not need a complicated HUD - you just need to know what attachements to scan for.

Do they wear attachments besides HUDs?   As you'll know, llGetAttachedList can see the former but not the latter, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Do they wear attachments besides HUDs?   As you'll know, llGetAttachedList can see the former but not the latter, unfortunately.

Fangs... either scan for "fangs" or know their specific name.

• Thanks 1

I put the garlic necklace up as well. Both for free. Simply because I do not wish to be part of anyone else's stupid role play without my consent. 

Link is here: Progeny detector ring F R E E  Get yours then joyfully distribute it to all your friends and tell them that when they see someone wearing "colmillos" or fangs, don't let them come close. They need to come close to bite you.

So, show them that humans can also sneak up on them and beat them at their game. Get your free HUD and give it away. It is *your right* to choose your experience in SL, not theirs.

Of course, Progeny won't like it. But neither did we.

Edited by AlexandriteGem

2 hours ago, AlexandriteGem said:

I put the garlic necklace up as well. Both for free. Simply because I do not wish to be part of anyone else's stupid role play without my consent. 

Link is here: Progeny detector ring F R E E  Get yours then joyfully distribute it to all your friends and tell them that when they see someone wearing "colmillos" or fangs, don't let them come close. They need to come close to bite you.

So, show them that humans can also sneak up on them and beat them at their game. Get your free HUD and give it away. It is *your right* to choose your experience in SL, not theirs.

Of course, Progeny won't like it. But neither did we.

So funny how you act all high and mighty about consent yet you're acting without people's consent by giving things away you did not create and have no consent for...

What you're doing is worse.

• Like 3

To avoid problems with IP, people might want to try this (untested).   Drop it in an object (an attachment, maybe) and touch it to get a warning if anyone on the parcel is wearing fangs or "colmillos."

It's completely untested and I make no promises that it will even work but I think it should do pretty much what the magic ring is said to do.

I post this not because I have anything in particular against vampires (so long as they don't send me unsolicited bite requests) but in order to reduce the reasons people may think they have for  redistributing things without the creator's permission:

//posted by Innula Zenovka under the "This example script is completely untested and comes with no guarantees whatseover, and I certainly don't promise to provide tech support for it, do whatever you want to with it but I'd prefer you dont sell it" licence.

default {
    touch_end(integer num_detected) {
        list lAvs = llGetAgentList(AGENT_LIST_PARCEL, []);//check all avs on the parcel
        if(lAvs != []){//if there are any
            integer iMax = -llGetListLength(lAvs);
            do{
                key k = llList2Key(lAvs, iMax);//check each av in turn
                list temp = llGetAttachedList(k);//get a list of av's attachments
                if(temp != []){ //if av is wearing any
                    integer index = -llGetListLength(temp);
                    do{
                        key kAttachment = llList2Key(temp, index);//check each attachment in turn
                        string str = llList2String(llGetObjectDetails(kAttachment, [OBJECT_NAME]),0);//get the name
                        if(~llSubStringIndex(llToLower(str), "colmillos")|| ~llSubStringIndex(llToLower(str), "fangs")){//if it contains "colmillos" or "fangs" -- not case sensitive
                            llOwnerSay("Beware! The avatar called "+llGetDisplayName(k)+" ("+llGetUsername(k)+") is wearing an attachment called "+str+" and may therefore want to spampirize you");//then warn the owner
                        }
                    }
                    while(++index);
                }//end if temp 
            }
            while (++iMax);
        }//end if lAvs
    }

attach(key id) {//added to ensure the script keeps running in no-script areas, provided it was attached in an area where scripts are allowed
        if(id){//item has just been attached
            llRequestPermissions(id, PERMISSION_TAKE_CONTROLS);//needed to keep script running in no script areas

}
    }
    run_time_permissions(integer perm) {
        if(perm & PERMISSION_TAKE_CONTROLS){
            llTakeControls(CONTROL_FWD, TRUE, TRUE);//needed to keep script running
        }
    }
}

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2017 at 5:11 PM, Canoro Philipp said:

people may write your name on lists if they want, as your name is your intellectual property, you may report them to Linden Lab, they use it without your consent. Linden Lab may ask them to delete your name from the list, or else.

they should ask people if they want to be on a list before adding them, they do so to appear like if a big group of people is interested in their game, misrepresenting the popularity of the game to attract people. that's fraud. Linden Lab should take a look at it.

your best bet could be to report them for fraud and violation of intellectual property.

if there is a script that allows someone to do an action on another people without consent, there's not much to do about it, except being in places that don't allow scripts to run.

Actually, those HUDS, work in non-scripted areas as well. They called it, a non-invasive script. It basically works like some Griefing HUDS, they use scripts that override that specific permission. So if you were to go to a no script entry area, you could still, in fact, be bitten. Not that it makes it any better, just wanted to inform you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

So funny how you act all high and mighty about consent yet you're acting without people's consent by giving things away you did not create and have no consent for...

What you're doing is worse.

Talk about a provocation now.

Because, you know, what I should have done is humbly get in the Progeny database without fighting back... Right? Then if I want to be "human" again and not a phantom, I just pay into their redemption only to expose myself to get bitten again by someone else.... 

What we all against the Progeny ways should do is take the decision from their creator to not have anything blocking their bites, and be trapped into a role play without our agreement. But they can not stand a taste of their own medicine when I put their ring hud in the marketplace. When they can't go secretive anymore. 

Yes, little frustrated Progeny vampires. We know how it feels to have no control over your SL experience. We understand.

Edited by AlexandriteGem
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Talk about a provocation now.

Because, you know, what I should have done is humbly get in the Progeny database without fighting back... Right? Then if I want to be "human" again and not a phantom, I just pay into their redemption only to expose myself to get bitten again by someone else.... 

What we all against the Progeny ways should do is take the decision from their creator to not have anything blocking their bites, and be trapped into a role play without our agreement. But they can not stand a taste of their own medicine when I put their ring hud in the marketplace. When they can't go secretive anymore. 

Yes, little frustrated Progeny vampires. We know how it feels to have no control over your SL experience. We understand.

I am frustrated too, it does get annoying that they do that. But I am not gonna take someone else's work and distribute it freely to everyone. That is against TOS if I remember correctly. Unless you got the expressed consent from the creators themselves, which I highly doubt that. Look we get why you are doing it, but you need to also understand, you need to report these people if they do this kinda stuff to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Then if I want to be "human" again and not a phantom, I just pay into their redemption only to expose myself to get bitten again by someone else.... 

What we all against the Progeny ways should do is take the decision from their creator to not have anything blocking their bites, and be trapped into a role play without our agreement

This is what I was talking about earlier when I said:

On 2/23/2019 at 10:44 PM, Wulfie Reanimator said:

When people speak in terms like "I am forced into their roleplay" or "I am forced to do something to get out." How? Why? You say you don't care about their roleplay and acknowledge that it doesn't affect your experience after some ninny has nibbled on you. This kind of paranoia is what I would use as a marketing tool to sell them garlic... oh wait.

Not to mention how "fighting fire with fire" is rarely the right choice or a good thing... "They griefed me, so I'll grief them back!" And then both parties get the boot. (Or in this case it would be more likely that @AlexandriteGem would be the only one to get slapped on the wrist. But realistically nobody will, because LL won't get involved.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bored with this already..

Just get your free HUD and wear it if you are not interested in ending up as a ghost or whatever, and want to have your SL experience your way.

They would not provide a blocker like the garlic necklace but mind being spotted and giving people a choice to stop an intrusive role play from including them...

They will not provide a way to get you off their ridiculous database without you buying their crap. Exposing you to further bites again.

I am out of this boring thread.. Hope the HUD helps the many who never wanted part in this nonsense...

With a dagger in your heart, I move on...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

I am out of this boring thread..

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1