AlexandriteGem

Progeny, griefer attacks

I have been told that Progeny vampires can bite you without a hud, or even without your knowledge only by being close enough to you avatar to touch it, as you stand still. 

Is this true? How can it be prevented if the garlic necklace only works with Bloodlines?

Also, how do I defend myself from attacks by griefers, that as I understand also can be done as you just stand still, without suspecting anything?

Thanks for your replies

Edited by AlexandriteGem
Misspellings

How are you being griefed?   There was a nice long debate a couple years ago.  I am sure the thread is still available.  From what I understand unless you sign up and play the game nothing actually happens to your avatar - the vampire gets to role play without actually impacting anyone around them.  They can pretend to suck your blood, pretend to kill you, pretend to be benevolent and let you live, but nothing actually happens except your avatar's name ends up in a database somewhere as being dead or having nourished a role playing character.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

People get strange about this vampire thing. I suggest to convert what they are saying into the actual game mechanics.

For instance, they tell you they have drained your blood and stolen your soul... BUT... you are setting there watching your computer screen, fully conscious reading their statements. So, they have clicked on your avatar or clicked in a HUD and selected your name, then click some options that transferred some data to a data base (may be), and typed in chat. What did that actually do?

It has perhaps wasted a minute of your time and annoyed you. Unless, you actually believe they drained blood from your avatar and stole its soul or yours, in which case I can't help you as you need more than I can provide here.

So, the question you ask about preventing their actions is sort of: how do I stop them or change SL to stop them from playing in SL as they choose? The answer is: you don't. In SL we are pretty much free to play as we choose unless it promotes hate... but, even then there are accepted forms of hate allowed... sucks. But, that is freedom.

The alternate in your question is: how do I stop them from annoying me? Block/Mute/Abuse Report... essentially lock them out of your awareness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, let me ask this again... ¬¬

Can Progeny vampires be stopped from adding me to their members lists without my consent? If so, how?

Can I stop anyone from doing an attack on me without previous request via notification or hud to accept? If so, how? Blocking may not be the alternative because you do not suspect what this person is up to, and may have given you no warning...

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Can Progeny vampires be stopped from adding me to their members lists without my consent? No

Can I stop anyone from doing an attack on me without previous request via notification or hud to accept? No

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

people may write your name on lists if they want, as your name is your intellectual property, you may report them to Linden Lab, they use it without your consent. Linden Lab may ask them to delete your name from the list, or else.

they should ask people if they want to be on a list before adding them, they do so to appear like if a big group of people is interested in their game, misrepresenting the popularity of the game to attract people. that's fraud. Linden Lab should take a look at it.

your best bet could be to report them for fraud and violation of intellectual property.

if there is a script that allows someone to do an action on another people without consent, there's not much to do about it, except being in places that don't allow scripts to run.

1 hour ago, Canoro Philipp said:

your name is your intellectual property

I am not sure this is correct. One's avatar name isn't covered by IP laws.

There might be an exception in real life if one had a very unusual name and specifically paid the US government USD$375 to trademark it. ( http://www.wikihow.com/Copyright-a-Name ) but this would not work with anything generic like "Philipp" or "Alexandrite" they are simply generic names.

Additionally I will guess that if anyone actually owns the name, it will be Linden Lab, not "you". That would be somewhere in their TOS, I think.

So, to the OP, sorry. There is nothing you can do to stop your avatar's name appearing in anyone's database.

• Like 2

Obviously names like Harrods, or McDonald's or Mickey Mouse or Batman are pieces of intellectual property that belong to someone but I can't imagine that there's anything in the IP laws in any sane country that prevents someone from putting those names in a list on the internet.

If, as I think is most likely to be the case, the database is held on servers outside SL, I don't think there's anything LL can do to help you.   You'll have to take up the matter with Progeny and, if necessary, their ISP. 

Frankly, I think you will be wasting your time, but I wish you luck.

send me a im if you need a progeny ring wear it and it detects who in the area has a progeny hud so if they sneak up to you within 1.5m you know what they are up to although i fear if you have been standing around lots they might have turned you into a shade by now and you wont need the ring cause they will no longer have any interest in biting you

• Like 2

Our user names are pretty public anyways..I mean they could just grab our names from any group they feel like it or from the forums or just in passing and play whatever game they like in an off site database..

I mean they do it all the time with silly black lists and whatever else..

I wouldn't lose any sleep over some vamp that is pulling a vampire bat sneak bite that you can't even feel unless someone tells you you've been bit..

I had vamps coming up to me a few years back saying I had been bitten and wanted to know if they could finish up some ritual or whatever with me,because I looked ghouled to them..

I was like hehehe What?! Look like I am ghouled to you? they said yes and the only way you won't be ghouled anymore is if one of us does this certain thing to you..

I said,does me being ghouled kinda wanna make you guys throw up or something,because it seems lately I've been getting a couple of you guys telling me this..Do I make you wanna puke!

hehehehe

They said no..I said damn and never heard from them again since.

• Like 1

Bloodlines, if u accept a bite request, registers u in the bloodlines data base as having lost your soul, the result is that you will be endlessly imed by other vampires telling u it is in limbo and they can get it back for you.

This progeny system doesn't ask anything of you, and doesn't interact with you in any way, shape, or form.  It is really no different from me standing beside you and iming to my friend that i just stabbed u in the heart and cut it out and ate it.

Who cares?

How does the impact me?

I don't go to Vampire, Lycan or Hybrid sims. I have never heard of, consented to participate in nor lend my name to Progeny; yet I was greeted with "oh, you like to play with vampires huh?" In open chat and a crowded room. Seems I had been fed on and am now listed as a SHADE in their database; all without my knowledge, consent or action! I am now some sort of Vamp food source to all in their system when I knew nothing of it! How is this acceptable?

I would consider this a Cyber Crime, specifically under Sect 72- Breach of Confidentiality and Privacy. Possibly Sect 66 - Hacking Systems and Data Alteration (I paid for my avi and her upkeep, someone has now forever ALTERED her in the system).

This is not a private game when Names are associated with an action they never knew or consented to. I cant copy and paste an IM but someone can claim they performed an act on my avatar?

Yes, I'm really upset. I would consider this a case of Cyber Harassment and surprised I've never heard of this before? I did try to find a way to contact Linden Lab directly but you cant report abuse against a group and I have no idea who ever did this to me

(Tho I've never posted on Forums before and listed as a Newbie, I'm over 6 years old)

Edited by ByteMoi
spell check
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ByteMoi said:

How does the impact me?

I don't go to Vampire, Lycan or Hybrid sims. I have never heard of, consented to participate in nor lend my name to Progeny; yet I was greeted with "oh, you like to play with vampires huh?" In open chat and a crowded room. Seems I had been fed on and am now listed as a SHADE in their database; all without my knowledge, consent or action! I am now some sort of Vamp food source to all in their system when I knew nothing of it! How is this acceptable?

I would consider this a Cyber Crime, specifically under Sect 72- Breach of Confidentiality and Privacy. Possibly Sect 66 - Hacking Systems and Data Alteration (I paid for my avi and her upkeep, someone has now forever ALTERED her in the system).

This is not a private game when Names are associated with an action they never knew or consented to. I cant copy and paste an IM but someone can claim they performed an act on my avatar?

Yes, I'm really upset. I would consider this a case of Cyber Harassment and surprised I've never heard of this before? I did try to find a way to contact Linden Lab directly but you cant report abuse against a group and I have no idea who ever did this to me

(Tho I've never posted on Forums before and listed as a Newbie, I'm over 6 years old)

Are you sure they weren't just teasing you because of your name? 

No...lol

My 1st avi was bitten in her first week by a hidden BloodlInes Hud (thot I accepted a hug or dance). Very new so I threw her away and started a new one. My name is meant satirical and I don't even visit vamp lands. It was confirmed by 2 different people.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ByteMoi said:

No...lol

My 1st avi was bitten in her first week by a hidden BloodlInes Hud (thot I accepted a hug or dance).

Mine was too.  I had no clue what I was accepting in that first week.  8 years and one garlic necklace later I have never been bothered since

Since this is all pretend, let it be known that my building alt has made a special amulet which renders all Progeny to be trapped in the Firestarter video from this day hence. Be free, Byte.

When i was new, I was asked by another girl if she could bite me, I thought she was making some sexual proposition, and I told her she could. Then she bit my neck and poofed, I went on with my SL, months later i am talking to some guy and he tells me I was bitten, I tell him what happened, and he takes me someplace to get my soul healed. I play along and get the healing, but nothing about SL was ever any different before i was bitten, after i was bitten, or after I was healed. I do not get at all why anyone not into that stuff worries about any of it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ByteMoi said:

I believe the FBI are the the investigative agency to contact about online criminality.   I think you should contact them forthwith and explain to them about your problems with these virtual vampires.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Haha 8

I have been secretly collecting the souls of everybody that posts on the forums.  I keep them in a Jim Beam commemorative bottle of young Elvis Presley.  Sometimes I summon two out and make them battle like pokemon. So far 3Ring Binder is the soul battle champion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8