Do you have many avatars? If so...are they diverse?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 5:21 PM, Bobbie Faulds said:

It's 5 accounts per email address.They originally had it per IP address but changed that with those in colleges often sharing the same IP as well as those in the same household (we have 3 people living here). I have 3 male and a number of female. They have different skins, hair, heights, ages. I use them for models and for NPC's where I'm an admin for RP. 

The updated Second Life TOS says it's 5 avatars per household, not email.  LL can also charge you for making more avatars than that and or ban you for breaking the TOS if they want to.  So, be careful throwing that info around on the forums.

11 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

From the last part of the thread's title, I do think that the OP meant alts. I would assume that, having various 'avatars' to wear with a single account, would automatically mean that they are distict; e.g. furry, child, normal human, martian, and such.

Maybe someday I will get an alt. I think all my avatars are lions and neko-lions.

Alts? No, but I change shape, skin, and style almost daily. Its fun for me to see what kind of avatar I can come up with. Maybe today I'll be a demon. Tomorrow I could be casual and in PJ's. Maybe the next day i'll be a giant three headed fox. Yes -- I do have an avatar like that haha.

My inventory probably looks pretty random to others but I don't think I could ever stick to one look.

I have several female alts of various appearances and 1 male alt.  I use them all for photo purposes and sometimes for wandering around when I want to make sure I'm left alone.

Only one has had an actual life in SL. She was used for about a year instead of my main. She hardly logs in anymore, I tend to favor others over her because they are more diverse in appearance and more useful for photos.  I certainly don't spend much money on them though, my main is too much of a shopper to allow it :D

• Like 1

On 16.3.2017 at 11:21 PM, Bobbie Faulds said:

It's 5 accounts per email address.

Five per household actually but usually there's no problem getting permission to have more if you ask nicely and have a reasonably good reason, at least not if you are a premium member:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alt_account_policies

I have six alts, all but one of them have two or more different avatars they switch between, one or two default human females and a couple of non-human ones. These days I'm usually so much focused on what I do when I'm in Second Life it hardly matters what kind of avatar or which alt I use but I still love to play around with shapes and outfits every now and then and when I visit places, I always make sure I sue an avi that fits whatever the theme is.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe someday I will get an alt.

There are some good reasons to keep an alt around:

Group co-owner
Photographer
Test permission transfers for your creations
Troubleshooting when your main account crashes at login, stays a cloud, etc
Furniture pose adjusting
Target for smurf rocket launcher when your pet has had too much.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

There are some good reasons to keep an alt around:

Group co-owner
Photographer
Test permission transfers for your creations
Troubleshooting when your main account crashes at login, stays a cloud, etc
Furniture pose adjusting
Target for smurf rocket launcher when your pet has had too much.

I'd say a minimum of two alts.  One to be in the group as co-owner and one not in the group (or not always in group) to test non-group permissions.  One of those being a male to help set the male poses - for things specifically for males. 

ETA: I suppose a male isn't needed as the female alt could simply switch back and forth between male and female avatars.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

10 hours ago, HaileeTempesta said:

The updated Second Life TOS says it's 5 avatars per household, not email.  LL can also charge you for making more avatars than that and or ban you for breaking the TOS if they want to.  So, be careful throwing that info around on the forums.

That part of the TOS keeps getting missed to be updated. The page you are referencing was last updated in 2012. I did submit to LL to update that page to reflect the current policy. As I said, 5 per household, as LL discovered, was unrealistic be cause of households/college dorms/etc sharing one router/modem. It was changed to 5 per email address a while back though I can't find the specific reference. Try making more than 5 alt accounts on an email address; you can't do it.

In terms of avatars and not alts, yes, I have a diverse group of avatars that I can become but the avatars are spread between the alts. Why not have many diverse avatars? It's not like doing so will kill you. If you have a sense of adventure and core belief in who you are then using an avatar not like yourself is a great way to have fun in SL.

Except for babies. I would never pretend to be a little baby.

• 3 weeks later...

I have three alts, all female. I created the first in order to create a land group; the second two to protect my names after LL buggered up the naming system. I tried to make them different from my main avi, but over time they converged and now all use the same shape. Only the hair and clothes are different. I rarely use the alts because they have no real history in SL. As for a male alt, gods, too much work and too alien. I don't think I've ever met a woman who can imitate a male convincingly. The same is true in reverse. I once helped a guy create a female alt (it was fun to watch him struggle), but he could never make her truly feminine.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 4:58 PM, Claireschen Hesten said:

I have a few Alts one of them is currently a Tree and was previously a Giraffe the others are human

I also have several alts, whose activities, in addition to being quite limited, also only occur in-world. One of them is a tree as well. I use the others for testing, for extensive avatar shape and skin trials, and for falling from great heights. I also made them all premium. They give me their tier and stipends because they are helpless before my beguiling will.

I have one alt for selling gacha stuffs. Her avatar is nothing fancy. I think she still uses system clothes.

My main account has a bunch of avatars and they're all super diverse. Lots of old RP characters, petite avatars, crazy detailed demons and/or fairies just for fun, and my normal everyday human avatar. I guess I could use an alt for each theme, but that would be a lot of mesh bodies to buy. O.o

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.