Avatar survey - best place for participants please

Proteus12

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear All, I am an Open University student who wishes to send a short survey out to SL users for my research degree - the survey is just over 20 questions long and anonymous, it will take about 5 minutes to complete - its just asking about what kind of avatar you use in relation to your real life identity - where do you think the best place to send the link would be on this site?

Many thanks 

10 minutes ago, Proteus12 said:

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that, I was just assuming it would be best to send out on  a forum!

only a very small group of people, compared to the amount of people logging in, comes to the forums. For a real representative survey best place is inworld.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Proteus12 said:

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that, I was just assuming it would be best to send out on  a forum!

This is where I pull out a helpful old paragraph:

"Similarly, some of the first educators and researchers in SL were a bit clumsy in their approach. There were early incidents in which Residents felt—rightly—that they were being spied upon or treated like guinea pigs rather than human beings. Imagine how you would feel if an entire class of students set up right next to your vacation hideaway, left trash lying around, logged your conversations, and posted them on the Internet with criticism and mean-spirited comments. This is exactly what happened to some early Residents. Things have improved greatly in the years since then, but sometimes SL Residents are still subject to that kind of inconsiderate behavior. For example, a constant stream of researchers (often students) posts on the Second Life official forums requesting that Residents please take their surveys. Most of these surveys include the same questions that have been asked over and over. Often they aren't spell-checked, or refer to SL as a game—a sure way to irritate a substantial number of Residents. Some Residents make a hobby of critiquing these surveys, pointing out how the questions and their wording make it clear that the researcher isn't familiar with Second Life. Some post outright that they are sick of badly planned surveys and suggest that the researchers log in and do their own research."

From The Second Life Grid: The Official Guide to Communication, Collaboration, and Community Engagement
by Kimberly Rufer-Bach
ISBN-13: 9780470412916

• Like 1

Thank you for your response, my husband is a SL resident and is familiar with the community and I am very mindful that this is not a game.  My survey is about the actual avatar choice rather than the way people live their lives,  its not meant to be intrusive and I thought people might enjoy completing the survey, I didn't realise it was commonplace for students to send out surveys so maybe thats my naivety!  At the end of the day its optional to take part so if people don't want to take the survey that's absolutely fine and I have no issues with that, I just wondered how best to approach without offending

8 minutes ago, Proteus12 said:

I didn't realise it was commonplace for students to send out surveys

It varies but Spring is the most popular time to find research posts.

For what it's worth, if you spend a little time in world you will find a wealth of information in groups.  There are many groups for every topic, including school projects on SL avatars.  You may not have to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Proteus12 said:

Thank you for your response, my husband is a SL resident and is familiar with the community and I am very mindful that this is not a game.  My survey is about the actual avatar choice rather than the way people live their lives,  its not meant to be intrusive and I thought people might enjoy completing the survey, I didn't realise it was commonplace for students to send out surveys so maybe thats my naivety!  At the end of the day its optional to take part so if people don't want to take the survey that's absolutely fine and I have no issues with that, I just wondered how best to approach without offending

It is quite common. We get get those questions quite often. And so far, I recall only two students who did an excellent job, at least as I'm aware of it. (Needless to say, I participated in their research both times). But don't worry, you are already ahead of the majority, as you are reading and communicating within the thread you opened and actually consider advice. You sure can use the forum to recruit some people for your survey, but wideing your pool of participants is definitly a good idea. You never know if there isn't some variable in the background, that makes regular forum users a bit different from the ones who aren't active here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Proteus12 said:

It is a game

• Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 6:56 AM, Avery Crazyboi said:

It is a game

I know, right? I was talking talking with my RP family about this last night. My sisters use play SL far more seriously than I do, and use it as a way to be themselves. I, on the other hand, use it as escape and for fun, and everyone understands and supports both ways to play.

It doesn't matter why someone plays SL. It doesn't matter what their slant on it is. There is nothing with SL being called a video game, because there is nothing wrong with video games.

Thats disappointing, my original question went 65 + but my tutor told me to cap the age limit - I  will ask my tutor if I can change the question, I dont want to make anyone feel left out

Edited by Proteus12
  • Like 1

Hi there Treasure, by IRB are you referring to informed consent?  Its all set out in the dialogue before you take part in the survey, there is a consent button if you wish to proceed, and a do not consent button if you do not, also my tutors details are on the page and you are quite welcome to ask any questions, it has been approved before I was able to send out the survey , thank you   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.